Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which new car to pick

Options
  • 12-01-2017 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Would like to here other peoples option on this, I am going to get new car soon but am undecided on what to get. I have it narrowed down to 3 cars, Toyota Corolla, scoda or ford focus. The car is for the wife, it will be new not second hand. Not worried about been high performance as not too much long distance driving will be done. About 15K mileage a year will be done max. Just looking for a reliable car that will start, car will be kept for a long time so not worried about trade in value. Any options on the three cars?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I presume you're looking at the Octavia when you mentioned Skoda. It would definitely be more spacious of that list if that's important. The Corolla would probably less likely to let you down but being a saloon it would not be as practical as the others. Both of these have recently being given a mid life makeover. The Focus boot on the hatchback is a bit small compared to the last model so might be something to take into account if you need space.

New Renault Megane or Megane Grand Coupe (saloon) are worth a look at, only recently launched model so will feel more modern than the others. Hyundai i20 new model recently launched but not sure how it fairs up to boot size wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Thanks for your reply, yes it WS the Octavia I was referring to but forgot to mention it
    I am being swayed towards the corolla but not sure if the 1.33 petrol engine will lack power, any experience with that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Corolla 1.33 has 100hp and a 6 speed box so it will be adequate for what it is.
    A 1.2 TSI Octavia will feel faster but is infinitely more likely to go wrong, being turbocharged and a VW petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

New Civic will be out in a few months. Lots of safety tech as standard and 127bhp engine.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/new-honda-civic-to-start-from-23750-as-it-majors-on-petrols-35356898.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks for your reply, yes it WS the Octavia I was referring to but forgot to mention it
    I am being swayed towards the corolla but not sure if the 1.33 petrol engine will lack power, any experience with that.?

The 1.33 is a fine engine which is well proven at this stage. It is more straight forward and less likely to give issues compared to the turbo units that are available.

I find it to be perfect for everyday driving in terms of performance. You should test drive it to see if it suits your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My father has that 1.33 litre engine in his 8 year old Auris. It's grand and the car hasn't given a day's trouble but performance wise it will depend on what you are used to or coming from. It would certainly be one of the least complicated engines out there when it comes to reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Why not go for an EV? Sure it's a little more initially but running costs are 10-20 times lower, better performance and maintenance is almost non-existent.

Leaf or the new Zoe given your price range. There is also the Ford Focus electric but you'd need to import from the UK as none of the Irish dealer stock them. Higher capacity battery and rapid charging on those this year.

My 151 i3 (My 2nd EV of three) is going in for it's very first service on the 23rd.... with 105,000km on the clock.

Advertisement