Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance payout without VAT?

Options
  • 11-01-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in the accident. Small thing. I have received quotation from the garage submitted to insurer. The quotation was negotiated down by the insurer with the garage and that is ok.

When it comes to payout I do not want to do it cashless but I would like to receive the money so I can deal with it the way I see fit but the insurer is saying that they will pay me cash but without VAT so -21% of the quotation.

Is that right? I have to pay VAT on all repairs which I will get done so why they would not pay the quoted price with the VAT?

Thanks for any clarification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

My guess would be that the garage would provide them with a VAT invoice for repairs that they can then claim back. If they pay it direct to you that opportunity is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for replying.

Maybe but in the end they have to provide me with the means to cover the costs and I have to pay VAT so this should be covered as well as quoted? Is it even legal what they are trying to do?

Anybody who recently took cash and got it with or without VAT?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Insurance companies are not able to reclaim VAT.
    Is this a company car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

vandriver wrote: »
    Is this a company car?

Yes they are they can set VAT they have paid off VAT they recieve.

As Vat exempt companies?

• Advertisement

My guess would be that a lot of cash claimants either get the repair done for half nothing in a cash deal,or don't get the work done at all.
    The insurance company is just applying a 20% discount knowing that the VAT b/s will satisfy most people who just want to get their hands on cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

Is this a company car?

It is privately owned car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As Vat exempt companies?

The exemption is only for insurance products, e.g. Axa are registered for VAT in Ireland they pay/charge VAT on non-insurance products/services that they purchase on sell

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Stheno wrote: »
    The exemption is only for insurance products, e.g. Axa are registered for VAT in Ireland they pay/charge VAT on non-insurance products/services that they purchase on sell

Maybe so that they are vat registered for other product's/services

But they are vat exempt in relation to insurance and insurance services (which includes payouts on insurance claims), and as such they can't reclaim the vat back on insurance payout's.

ants09 wrote: »
    Maybe so that they are vat registered for other product's/services

But they are vat exempt in relation to insurance and insurance services (which includes payouts on insurance claims), and as such they can't reclaim the vat back on insurance payout's.

Yes I was correcting the post that said they were vat exempt companies not vat exempt for insurance products and related items.

In the case of the OP given that axa would not pay VAT to the garage, but the OP would Axa want to reimburse the amount they would be liable for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP. Insurance company will usually have somewhere they would prefer the car to be repaired, but they will allow you to get it repaired wherever you want. Why not just let them pay for it at your preferred shop and then everybody is happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

We had a company car in a fender bender and the insurance paid the bill but not the VAT so we got an invoice from the garage for the excess and the total VAT amount which we claimed back.

This also happened on a windscreen replacement on a van, we had to pay the VAT and the insurance paid for the screen and fitting.

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes I was correcting the post that said they were vat exempt companies not vat exempt for insurance products and related items.

In the case of the OP given that axa would not pay VAT to the garage, but the OP would Axa want to reimburse the amount they would be liable for.
    You don't appear to know what Vat exempt means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭goochy

vat is 23 %

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

goochy wrote: »
    vat is 23 %

not always :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

as somebody just said the VAT rate is 23% BUT that is the rate on parts. the rate on labour is 13.5%. so what percentage have they actually deducted?

as somebody just said the VAT rate is 23% BUT that is the rate on parts. the rate on labour is 13.5%. so what percentage have they actually deducted?
    Apart from one poster,I think we've established that the VAT charged is immaterial to the insurance company,as they pay the full price including VAT,and can't claim back any of it.
    (Unless the claimant is vat registered of course,in which case the vat can be claimed back by the individual/company so in that case the insurance company would pay the claim ex vat )

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Apart from one poster,I think we've established that the VAT charged is immaterial to the insurance company,as they pay the full price including VAT,and can't claim back any of it.

well you stated it as a fact but have we actually established that it is true?

Advertisement