Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin council reveals 'ridiculous' N4 speedtrap set to be removed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Htf are locals plagued with speeding fines, or catch people off guard, when as the article says itself, it's a notorious spot, you're a local so will know about it especially if you've been caught already as the article implies, and it's well signposted.

If you're caught off guard you might want to consider your own driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'll see lots of similar places "fixed up" - paving the way for the new average speed cameras everywhere

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

About feckin time!!!!
    Not sure which counsellor that was, but give yourself a pat on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just after a big crash there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just after a big crash there this morning

that crash was caused by the woman in the black hyundai trying to dive across 4 lanes to get to the m50 southbound and completely failing to use a mirror, traffic was only moving at 40-50 when it happened. others, not being able to see around the truck, then collided with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can I ask an opinion? I'm not a regular visitor to Dublin by any means but I find the 80km/h limit between the M50 and the M4 on a three lane road a bit slow, especially off peak. Surely 100km/h is ok here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

they're getting rid of the 60k section just as you get to the bit where you join the m50, it'll be 80 like the rest of the road.

i have to say I didn't know there was a 60k section until recently and i would have used that road a bit now.

@flazio it's just not worth going over 80 on the road if you ask me. i'd say the fines generated from that bit of the road network must make up a very sizable amount of all the fines collected in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

flazio wrote: »
    Can I ask an opinion? I'm not a regular visitor to Dublin by any means but I find the 80km/h limit between the M50 and the M4 on a three lane road a bit slow, especially off peak. Surely 100km/h is ok here?

There is a stretch of road a couple hundred yards long where the road reduces from 80 to 60 or visa versa depending on which why you are going and the Van's like to sit there catching people who speed up to quick or not slowing down fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

shietpilot wrote: »

From my reading they aren't getting rid of the speed trap just increasing the limit to 80, plenty of people will still be getting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

I drive this road very often, most usually at night, and coming from the N4.

I don't actually have an issue with the 60kph zone itself, but where it starts, and how it's signposted.

The issue is that cars coming from Liffey Valley have to cross multiple lanes in a short space of time if they're to go Southbound on the M50.

I have no problem getting up to speed if I was to do it, but it can be a difficult task in an underpowered car, getting up a hill and then moving across quickly if it's busy.

No matter what speed you do in the right hand (M50 South) lane, there is invariably some tosser right up your arse just as the speed limit drops from 80 to 60kph.

Braking in that situation can be dangerous, but you can be damn sure I'm gonna brake as much as I need to instead of risk being caught by the speed van.

Edit: Remove the speed van and put in a 'tailgating' camera. Your reg comes into view too quickly after the last one has been read? Fine in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Assume this is a gosafe van?

I remember the "culchie trap" at the spawell hotel...you were unlucky if there was film left in the camera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I use that road semi-regularly and find it absolutely bananas how many people fly along at 100+ when surely everyone in the country, or at least the greater Dublin area, knows how notorious it is for cameras.
    I think much of it probably could sustain a100 speed limit but as long as it's 80 or 60 I'm insanely paranoid about watching my speedo driving there.

Advertisement