Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series E90 Traction Control/DSC issues

Options
  • 10-01-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm having trouble with my 09 3 series. Lately the traction control and stabilty control keep affecting the car. Driving on the motorway on sunday the DTC and DSC lights keep flashing on the dash and the car to looses power and applies the breaks.

Further to this the same night the ABS, hand break warning and DSC lights came on and stayed on until, pulled in turned off the car and turned it back on and the lights had disappeared.
    I've also noticed that when taking off or breaking suddenly the DSC warning light keeps coming on.

I've read threads that the ECU unit could be at fault with cars showing similar issues with the DSC but not the traction control. I have a niggling feeling that it could also be rust on the drive shaft causing the DTC sensor to trip (I had the car serviced in a garage a year ago and they spoted rust on the drive shaft and said this may affect the traction control but they dind't mention the DSC being affected)

Has anyone had similar issues? or able to help diagnose possibly it could be a combination of both issues?
    Also if it is the drive shaft rust the garage told me to get the  drive shaft taken off, get the shaft sand blasted to remove the rust and get it painted as a cheaper alternative to having the drive shaft replaced. Is this normal practice for a garage to do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Get it plugged in and the codes read. Could be few things like a simple ABS sensor or the ABS module itself.

What tyres have you got on it? Brand wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

I've got Bridgestone non run flats on the back, can't remember whats on the front off the top of my head would need to check.  
    Could it be misaligned tyres causing it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

cozzie55 wrote: »
    I've got Bridgestone non run flats on the back, can't remember whats on the front off the top of my head would need to check.  
    Could it be misaligned tyres causing it too?

Yeah sometimes if you change tyre sizes or maybe even RFT to non RFT could throw errors. I was thinking myself maybe it was cheap tyres causing wheelspin or the like but it's not that. I'd definitely get it plugged in. Whereabouts are you?

Advertisement