Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 B8 steering notch

Options
  • 09-01-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

This is one for the Audi buffs.

I have a 2013 A4 which has had the 48K8 steering software update which was meant to fix the issue which is shown in the video below. It's where you can't actually get the car to drive straight as there is a notch on centre which the wheel wants to be either side of.

I have had it seriously enough to come off the motorway and restart the car twice since the start of December. That seems to clear it up but I was dismayed to learn that the car has already had the software update.

Has anyone here experience with it?

https://youtu.be/MW9M2n3Cym4

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

wow steering software updates FFS. There was me thinking i was the man with ABS brakes and a blue tooth radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Cant help you but that must be as annoying as hell.

** EDIT **

I'm sure you already found this link, but looks like steering rack may need to be replaced if the software update didnt work.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-correction-notchy.246279/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I had that on my white vrs
    Mentioned it to the dealers but never anything done about it.
    Just got used to it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the replies.

I've found the Audi forums alright, seems to be a problem from 2013 when they changed to an electrically assisted power steering.

Thankfully it's quite rare to have it all that bad for me but twice in as many months may not be a good pattern to continue. I'll have to have a reread of those forums. Things seem to drop off after the software update was rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I have a 151 and fcuk me it's the same, you think there is a ton weight on the wheels....

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    I have a 151 and fcuk me it's the same, you think there is a ton weight on the wheels....

For me, it is not weight. The steering is great for the most part. It is just that the notch develops the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bbk wrote: »
    For me, it is not weight. The steering is great for the most part. It is just that the notch develops the odd time.

Thats what I had. Like it sticks and then lets go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

bbk wrote: »

Nah its like driving with two flat wheels....:(

Truckermal wrote: »
    Nah its like driving with two flat wheels....:(

Maybe the VCDS mod for the slip issue could help you there. Definitely not the issue I have, thankfully.

vectra wrote: »
    Thats what I had. Like it sticks and then lets go.

For me it's an inability to centre the wheel as per the video. There are two notches, one either side of the centre line which the wheel will fall into.

I suppose it's like it's sticking in a notch and then letting go alright, but only into another notch the same distance from centre but in the other direction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement