Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coming to a dead stop in the middle of the road to let a car out.

Options
  • 08-01-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Basically as per the title, why do people fly along R roads at 50/60 kph and then come to a dead stop to leave a car out from a side road. IMO there is no need for it. I don't mean in traffic now but when roads are not busy.

Apart from being somewhat dangerous imo.can anybody enlighten me as to why they feel the need to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

C4Kid wrote: »
    Basically as per the title, why do people fly along at 5R roads at 50/60 kph and then come to a dead stop to leave a car out from a side road...

Apart from being somewhat dangerous imo.can anybody enlighten me as to why they feel the need to do it. #rantover

Nervous drivers and some like the satisfaction of the wave to say thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Never seen that happen. Have seen people let others out from a side road in cities and towns when traffic is crawlling along, but never at 50/60kmph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is 50km per hour flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is 50km per hour flying?

When you have to stop in hurry yeah !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then you're following too close. While stopping to let traffic out is silly when the road is quite there are plenty of reasons why a car might need to stop and it's always up to the following vehicle to leave enough room to stop safely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Basically as per the title, why do people fly along R roads at 50/60 kph and then come to a dead stop to leave a car out from a side road. IMO there is no need for it. I don't mean in traffic now but when roads are not busy.

Apart from being somewhat dangerous imo.can anybody enlighten me as to why they feel the need to do it.

It's bad driving to stop and let someone out. It's not your problem if they can't get out and you've no business stopping traffic to let them.

Depends what's happening I suppose.

In a situation where you're the front car and there's a long row of traffic behind you, and the opposite side of the road is coming to a break in traffic, I can see nothing wrong with slowing to allow the waiting car to take advantage of the gap (in this scenario the car is on your left, but turning right, so crossing your lane).

I'd never really come to a complete stop in these situations but it can be nice to help people out cos it effectively adds nothing to your journey time, but can shave minutes off theirs if you know they'll be waiting ages to get out.

A little politeness goes a long way.

If you're concerned about rear-ending the car that slows, then get off the phone and pay attention to what you're doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was behind a pr1ck in a Dacia going through Banogue on the N20 when he locked up to let a tractor with a load of bales out of a side road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Truckermal wrote: »
    I was behind a pr1ck in a Dacia going through Banogue on the N20 when he locked up to let a tractor with a load of bales out of a side road.

There is a special place in hell for drivers who let tractors/trucks/buses out in front of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There is a special place in hell for drivers who let tractors/trucks/buses out in front of them

I can imagine it took the tractor driver 15 seconds to pull out since he was busy thinking "why the f*ck is that lad letting me out?"

• Advertisement

I always try to let them out if it's safe. They are the vehicles which keep the country moving and if no one used public transport the roads would be thousands of times more congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

sometimes a muppet coming from a side road will pull out far enough that the front of the car is blocking or narrowing your lane so you have to stop. really annoying but as others have said if you need to slam on your brakes then your too damn close in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Ive seen people stopping on a roundabout to let other vehicles out. These people shouldn't be left near a wheelbarrow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Truckermal wrote: »
    The drive along the N20 must've been driving you up the walls enough without that happening.

Some amount of cigarettes smoked every year by the population of the south west to ease N20-stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

This kind of follows the same theme as the motorcycle guys thread about taking off too slow at traffic lights - there should be as much thought for motorists behind you as there is for those in front

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a very bad and dangerous practice and anyone who does it is putting lives at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

What about the eejits that stop and flash drivers to pull out of a side road onto the oncoming lane

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I've seen it
    A car turning right at a cross road on a main road, and a car coming in opposite direction stopping to let him turn while there was a car behind the car stopping to let car turn right.
    It was crazy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Depends what's happening I suppose.

In a situation where you're the front car and there's a long row of traffic behind you, and the opposite side of the road is coming to a break in traffic, I can see nothing wrong with slowing to allow the waiting car to take advantage of the gap (in this scenario the car is on your left, but turning right, so crossing your lane).

I'd never really come to a complete stop in these situations but it can be nice to help people out cos it effectively adds nothing to your journey time, but can shave minutes off theirs if you know they'll be waiting ages to get out.

A little politeness goes a long way.

If you're concerned about rear-ending the car that slows, then get off the phone and pay attention to what you're doing :)

I don't think you realise how dangerous your proposal is.
    car is waiting at side road on the left turning right.
    You are the lead car with a few behind. A break in oncoming traffic occurs, you slow down with the intention of allowing car to cross. Meanwhile, line of cars behind are eager to overtake you. you slowing down at the moment of a break in oncoming traffic is a clear invite for the eager drivers behind to overtake and they would be within their right to overtake.
    So imagine driver overtaking only to find crossing car emerge right into their path. Likely fatal accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

It's a very bad and dangerous practice and anyone who does it is putting lives at risk.

Also it's important to note that if someone let's put another driver then if anything happens the blame lies fairly and squarely on the motorist who stopped and let the other one out. Same goes for when you beckon on a pedestrian. So moral of the story is be selfish when driving.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    So moral of the story is be selfish when driving.

Be predictable when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Because they're terrible drivers,despite that fact some people here will try and defend them,they also are terrible drivers.

mickdw wrote: »
    You are the lead car with a few behind. A break in oncoming traffic occurs, you slow down with the intention of allowing car to cross. Meanwhile, line of cars behind are eager to overtake you. you slowing down at the moment of a break in oncoming traffic is a clear invite for the eager drivers behind to overtake and they would be within their right to overtake.
    So imagine driver overtaking only to find crossing car emerge right into their path. Likely fatal accident.

I've rarely seen a junction that doesn't have a continuous white line that means it's illegal to overtake, the vast majority IMO are way too far from the junction but that's to cater for people who don't know how to drive and overtake traffic when approaching a junction!

screamer wrote: »
    Also it's important to note that if someone let's put another driver then if anything happens the blame lies fairly and squarely on the motorist who stopped and let the other one out. Same goes for when you beckon on a pedestrian. So moral of the story is be selfish when driving.

Nope. You are partially responsible if you signal the person out of the junction, if you slow down or stop and let them make the decision then it's entirely their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've rarely seen a junction that doesn't have a continuous white line that means it's illegal to overtake, the vast majority IMO are way too far from the junction but that's to cater for people who don't know how to drive and overtake traffic when approaching a junction!

I've seen plenty and where a left side junction would be utterly unknown to a following car also. and certainly your point doesn't apply to private exits onto regional and local roads so my theory stands. While I realise it is poor driving to be overtaking where there are lots of obvious private exits onto a road, there is quite a high speed road into my local town with pretty much continuous domestic entrances with long section of dotted line and the amount of overtaking is scary. To be a slow moving car in this situation and inviting traffic across the face of oncoming vehicles is an idiotic practice and a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Two weeks ago, travelling north on the M9 between the Carlow exits, a car hundreds of meters ahead of me in the driving started braking inexplicably, there were no other cars anywhere in sight.

As I gained on him I realised that he was coming to a complete stop and had to change into the overtaking lane and there was now about 120kmph difference in our speeds.

As I passed him, and looked in my rear view mirror, it was an elderly man with his arms crossed over the steering wheel, leaning towards the passenger side of the car, straining to read one of the gigantic road signs that are placed before a motorway exit!!, he had come to a complete stop on a motorway to read a road sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Short answer to the initial question is that people are idiots who shouldn't be allowed on the road and arguably out among society in some cases.... Just like the idiots who stop on a roundabout where there is good traffic movement to let others out onto the roundabout; just like the idiots who can't seem to grasp the concept that you shouldn't cut into the inside lane half way through when on the outside lane on a roundabout; just like the idiots who do not use or worse still use indicators incorrectly; just like the idiots who don't seem to grasp the concept that they should dip their lights for oncoming traffic or if there is a car in front of them; just like the idiots who keep their back foglights on to burn the eyes out of my head when I am right behind them; just like the idiots............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

he had come to a complete stop on a motorway to read a road sign!

Its stuff like this that makes me worry that one day I won't be coming home to my family because of the complete stupidity of another individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its stuff like this that makes me worry that one day I won't be coming home to my family because of the complete stupidity of another individual.

Hit the nail on the head. No matter how careful you are you can simply be at the wrong place at the wrong time ultimately due to somebody elses bad judgment...

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »

Not entirely..

If I was a dawdler doing 60-70 in a 100 in my example above, and came down to 50/40 or other such low speed, then I'd agree with your point to an extent.

In that example cars behind me would likely be irate to begin with, and an aggressive overtake is possible.

However, I don't dawdle. I am almost always bang on the limit (and dare I say it, over it). If a car traveling behind me, sees me making good steady progress for a continued amount of time, you'll generally find that such cars won't attempt an overtake if you drop your speed a little, as they'll twig there's a reason for it (letting car out, speed van, accident, walkers on the road, whatever).

No one goes straight from following a car at the limit, to making a blind overtake at the first moment of the car ahead slowing.

You take each situation as it comes. If you're in a situation where being a good Samaritan means jamming the brakes, pulling the handbrake and skidding to a halt, whilst there's an ambulance on blues tailgating you to get by you, then you're probably more a hindrance than a help.

But if you can drop your speed (coast) a small bit, and the car at the turn has enough time to see you, realise what you're doing and get out to make the turn, without you having the car behind you in your back seat, then I see no issue with it.

Advertisement