Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf - flywheel going?

Options
  • 08-01-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I have a 2007 mk5 1.9 tdi with 275k km

I have just noticed when starting the car first thing in the morning with a cold engine - the car has a very rough idle sound

However, when the engine warms up the rough idle sound, does not sound as bad.

I have noticed that when the car is started in the morning, if I press the clutch in fully, the rough idle stops.

Is it possible that this is the flywheel that's going in my car ? The clutch is not slipping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Could be just release bearing. Fingers crossed for you it is.
    Actually re-read post, is there a dmf in the '07.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭josephsoap

kay 9 wrote: »
    Could be just release bearing. Fingers crossed for you it is.
    Actually re-read post, is there a dmf in the '07.

Thanks for your reply Kay 9, I'll be taking the car to the garage at the w/end so definitely fingers crossed now 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

josephsoap wrote: »
    I have a 2007 mk5 1.9 tdi with 275k km

I have just noticed when starting the car first thing in the morning with a cold engine - the car has a very rough idle sound

However, when the engine warms up the rough idle sound, does not sound as bad.

I have noticed that when the car is started in the morning, if I press the clutch in fully, the rough idle stops.

Is it possible that this is the flywheel that's going in my car ? The clutch is not slipping.

Has the clutch/flywheel been changed before?
    The clutch doesnt have to slip for the flywheel to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭josephsoap

9935452 wrote: »
    Has the clutch/flywheel been changed before?
    The clutch doesnt have to slip for the flywheel to be gone

Hi

As far as I am aware it's the original clutch & flywheel that is in the car, I suppose with the kind of mileage the car has up on it now and given it's now 10 years old ...a big repair Bill is probably soon coming down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

A big repair bill for what? Why do people get think a clutch/flywheel job costs big money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Why do people get think a clutch/flywheel job costs big money?

Because it usually does.

Using Micksgarage as a base figure as most laymen aren't in a position to avail of trade prices etc.

Searching for the OP's car, the cheapest clutch kit is €130 and the cheapest flywheel is €320. That's €450 in parts alone and those are for obscure brand name items that a motor factors probably wouldn't even sell. If you wanted an LUK kit etc, i'd add at least another €75-100.

So what would a good independent charge to fits same? €200-250?

A €700 repair on a €2000 car is a considerable repair imo. It's a weeks wages to an awful lot of people.

Advertisement