Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easiest way to replace wing mirror mirror?

Options
  • 06-01-2017 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

My wing mirror got a kick one night (footpath side). The case is fairly intact but the glass is cracked.

I was in Halfords and noticed they have stick-on mirrors which I didn't know existed. I got one for my make/model but it ended up being slightly too big so, I went back in and returned it.

What's the easiest solution here - should I just get the stick-on glass and a glass cutter maybe?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

Stick on mirror is definitely the easiest way about it. Could you try a few different ones from Halfords? Say it to one of the lads and they might take a few out to the car for you to get a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

I'd just get a mirror from a scrap merchants and replace it. It's not a wearing part so should be easy to get one. They're easily replaced, look for tutorials online. Sticking the cover up mirror on is okay but if I was doing it I'd rather have it original

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Cut and shape a cardboard template till it fits neatly in the casing, bring the template with you to the auto factors for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These stick on mirrors are jot the thing to be using. You will get a proper mirror on eBay for many cars for about 15 quid. These will be the correct shape and attach as per the original mirror and will include heating elements etc If applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Mirror got smashed on my grandparents car the other day. Went to a motor factors and they ordered in the exact mirror for his car and had it the next day.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    These stick on mirrors are jot the thing to be using. You will get a proper mirror on eBay for many cars for about 15 quid. These will be the correct shape and attach as per the original mirror and will include heating elements etc If applicable.
    Sell a car with a proper stick on mirror and it's highly likely the buyer will never know it's there. There was a car in my family with a stick on mirror and we didn't know until it itself was broken.

If there are heating elements involved then it's best to get an original.

OP asked for the easiest way and the answer to that question in the vast majority of cases is a stick on.

depends what class of car we are talking I guess but to me they are a joke. Surely nearly everything must have heated mirrors at this stage?

depends what class of car we are talking I guess but to me they are a joke. Surely nearly everything must have heated mirrors at this stage?
    A joke? Is this a mirror we're still talking about?

Nearly every car on the road have heated mirrors? Eh no. You're miles out of touch.

I'd say a very big percentage plus you tend to get wide angle viewing portion on drivers mirror etc.
    I just don't get the point of fitting a wrong thing when the right thing can be cheap too.
    Every car we had since about 1989 has had heated mirrors and they were neither new or expensive cars even back then.

I'd say a very big percentage plus you tend to get wide angle viewing portion on drivers mirror etc.
    I just don't get the point of fitting a wrong thing when the right thing can be cheap too.
    Every car we had since about 1989 has had heated mirrors and they were neither new or expensive cars even back then.
    He asked for the easiest thing. I know it's the internet and I know you need your say but that's the answer to the question. As I say, do it right and nobody would ever know.
    Most people would look at it and say good job. You'd think it was a joke. That's fine. You have heated mirrors since 1943. That's fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave it guys.

Fortunately I was not around in 1943.
    This is a motoring forum. Im not going to apologise for liking cars and being heavily against these kind of crappy repairs.
    I understand where you are coming from though. If you are the type that regards a car as an A to B machine and are in no way proud of the condition of your car and only maintain it because the nct guy says you must, well yes Im sure a lazy repair is the order of the day.

Fortunately I was not around in 1943.
    This is a motoring forum. Im not going to apologise for liking cars and being heavily against these kind of crappy repairs.
    I understand where you are coming from though. If you are the type that regards a car as an A to B machine and are in no way proud of the condition of your car and only maintain it because the nct guy says you must, well yes Im sure a lazy repair is the order of the day.

Do you realise that your argument is not about mirrors at all, but just you driving home that you really, really like cars? That cars mean more to you than most.. That you're a big, big car lover.. That you're proud that you're a car lover.. That you really, really liked cars and are proud of yours and and and..

Anyway when all that was going on with you, we were talking about replacement adhesive mirrors. Used by car lovers and mechanics all the time. A good job they do too.

Go put on your Tuesday tyres mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

mickdw and JakeBell banned from thread

Advertisement