Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Krav Maga - To KM or not to KM?

• 06-01-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi Guys! First time poster so please be nice :-) I was doing Krav Maga for just over a year with a club in Dublin, got really in to it but had an accident which left me out of action for a while. I was obsessed (having done no previous martial arts) but when I returned I started to become unhappy with some of the attitudes within the club and the repetitive nature of this particular trainers curriculum.

I've done some training seminars abroad where I found the mentality to be a lot more respectful so I do realize that this issue may have been club specific but now I'm 'confused' and beginning to look at other options. Any advice on where to look where to look would be greatly appreciated! I want to train somewhere central and train hard!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

Try all the other ma clubs you can find in your area. If you want to train hard, muay thai, bjj, judo, mma are all good options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well that you tell us roughly where you're located?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Why not consider a martial art that actually works like Muay Thai or BJJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

kmgirl1 wrote: »
    Any advice on where to look where to look would be greatly appreciated! I want to train somewhere central and train hard!

If the repetition troubles you, I'm sorry to say that repetition is a necessity to attain competence in any MA, or indeed in any sport.

You'd be most welcome to try our club (Fairview, D3) for a while and see if you like it, but beware, there's a fair deal of repetition involved. Training "hard" depends mostly on the student, rather than the instructor, assuming that the instructor provides the material for you to train with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SVJ really does have a point in regards to repetition, if you don't like it you're really not going to like too many styles and that goes for just about every form of fitness you might train.

But if you don't like the attitudes in a club its time to push on and look for an alternative club, and if there's no KM in your area then my advice is always to visit a few clubs offering different styles in your area until something 'clicks' with you.

You might find a style with a grading system (belts) like Karate, Jiu Jitsu, the various grappling styles like Judo or BJJ might be more to your liking. They're all repetitive but there's a goal to work towards ~ belt promotions, and in a self defense context they're all as good (and most will argue better) than KM.

Enjoy whatever you do anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 kmgirl1

Thanks Guys! Located in South Dublin (D12) and working in the city centre. Monday - Friday until 17.30. Part of me would love to continue the KM under another trainer as it offers a variety of training (striking, grappling, ground work etc) but I have been told by so many other people that KM as a discipline is 'useless'. I am aware that practice makes perfect and that is why any discipline requires repetition - I just know after training abroad in KM with some other clubs that this particular club is frankly not as good as others. Thinking of trying muy thai as I want to do more kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

)
    kmgirl1 wrote: »
    Part of me would love to continue the KM under another trainer as it offers a variety of training (striking, grappling, ground work etc) but I have been told by so many other people that KM as a discipline is 'useless'.

No style is 'useless' as a discipline, so you should not be overly swayed by the views of 'so many people' who would appear to have their own agenda, or are simply brain-washed by their own style. Unless you're planning to enter cage-fighting tournaments, or you want to achieve a higher state of enlightenment through your MA training (good luck with that!!) then why change from a style you like unless it's out of curiosity? If the club (or instructor) doesn't suit then sure, change, but be be prepared to find out that 'many people' consider a lot of MA styles (other than their own) to be useless.

If kicking is your thing then TKD or Karate would suit you, as would many styles of Kung-Fu & MMA.

Advertisement