Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a Volvo S40 (08)

Options
  • 06-01-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Thinking of Buying a Volvo S40 (08)
    They seem to be reasonably priced 2008 model,

Any advice on this motor would be much appreciated
    There's a 1.8 petrol model and a 2.0 diesel model.
    I don't really mind which one i go for.

If anyone knows what one is better or more reliable please fill me in.

I would like to hear from people who've had one or currently drive a Volvo S40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

I had 2 S40. Both petrol, 1.8 and 2.4. Great cars, honestly you cant go wrong with this Volvo model. Quite, comfortable, quick enough and efficient. I would look for R-Design model, they are nicely spec'd and usually have nicely coloured interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I have 2.0 R-Design S40, UK import, 177 BHP, great car, driving 100 miles per day in it for the last 3 years, regular oil changes and tyres, up to 125K miles now, no problems to report, MPG not far off 50, great car.

Get a 2.0 rather than the 1.6 which is underpowered, although the 5-cylinder model that I have (newer engine) are rare in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Avoid the 1.6d at all costs.
    I think the 2.0d is better in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you're doing short stop/start journeys or mostly city driving then a diesel will be of no benefit to you from a fuel saving or long term reliability point. Most of the 1.8 petrols sold in around 2008 where flexifuel models which could run on both unleaded or bi-ethanol which is no longer available to buy here. This engine is pretty heavy on fuel and needs to be serviced every 10k km.

I had a 2006 S40 for two years and it was far from a reliable car. They are well built, well specced and solid on the road but they can have a lot of niggly problems with electrics, etc. While the S40 shares a platform with the Ford Focus Volvo parts can be pretty expensive especially if you have to source them from a Volvo dealer. For example a replacement key costs around €250 and is a main dealer job as it has to come from Sweden afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was yours the 1.6 d?
    I found everything bar the engine to be spot on myself. And as you say the prices were expensive for parts. I had numerous faults with oil leaks, egrs, seals etc but as we all know that engine is notoriously soft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Jumping on this thread but I am just looking at buying a 2010 V50 1.6d. Low mileage great spec but it's the engine I'm worried about. Currently I have a 2005 focus with a1.6d and I have had the egr go injectors fail etc etc. I said I would never get a 1.6d again but I can get this V50 for €9500 which i think is a great price.

Am I mad to go with the 1.6d again, I think I am answering my own question here:)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

road_high wrote: »
    Was yours the 1.6 d?
    I found everything bar the engine to be spot on myself. And as you say the prices were expensive for parts. I had numerous faults with oil leaks, egrs, seals etc but as we all know that engine is notoriously soft

Yes it was a 1.6d. I had to replace the DPF on it too but the other stuff I listed earlier were not specifically engine related.

I dont think I ever had a problem with petrol engine. Car is very well build except for leather seats which wear pretty quickly, but I have seen this problem in every Volvo. I suppose is also due to how the car is being treated by the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

I have a 2010 2.0d R-Design and I think it's a great car, with a great spec and very good fuel economy.
    Having said that, I had a couple of issues: battery ran out which took out the immobiliser. I replaced the battery and it still didn't run right (lumpy and noisy).
    Turns out it was the alternator (Denso version) and this is a not uncommon issue with them. Runs great without issue since, but its just something to look out for.
    I also had the dpf removed and had it through the NCT without issue.
    Overall, good car and one that I'd recommend but go for the 2.0d if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Guys,

Really appreciate all the feedback.

I would be driving roughly 160km+ per week,
    Do you's think this would justify getting a diesel?

It seems you can pick up a decent enough Volvo s40 for between 4-5k
    With from 60-90k miles

They are beautiful cars, does anyone think it would be worth buying from up north ?

2500-3500 pound will get you something similar but usually better spec.

• Advertisement

I would go petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I'm considering going for the 1.8 petrol model.
    The diesel models seem to have more mileage more wear and tear and are more expensive.

Tax will be a little expensive on petrol though.
    But I'm not doing mental motor way miles so maybe the petrol is the better option for me.

As I said above I wonder would it be worth buying from north ....

Advertisement