Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Minor fender bender

Options
  • 04-01-2017 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

evening peeps.

Had a fender bender on way home from work, chap drove out in front of me.
    Gardai took details etc., told us sort it out ourselves. no one hurt.

I've to get my car repairs estimated, and give him a shout to see if he want to go through his insurance. (my car is a 2004 banger, repairs are well in excess of what its worth I reckon).

Question:
    Should I notify my insurance company?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

evening peeps.

I've to get my car repairs estimated, and give him a shout to see if he want to go through his insurance. (my car is a 2004 banger, repairs are well in excess of what its worth I reckon).

Question:

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd contact your insurer.

You should try to get a price for your car too, look on Donedeal and see how much it will cost to replace with identical model so you have a worse case scenario price to give the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

looking at Donedeal, I've a ballpark idea of a replacement with like for like (ish) mine is a bit higher spec than whats out there.

So I assume I bring it to a garage for an estimate. I reckon by the way it "drove" there is something serous with the steering, so the cost of repair might be in excess of replacement. Do I offer him the choice?
    cough up the cash or run it through his insurance?

I need a car for work, is it unreasonable to hit him for the cost of rental for a few days while its replaced/repaired?
    I dont want to ride him, but its a serious inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

If notifying the insurance company, you may as well go through insurance as they will log an accident against your policy and your premium will rise next year regardless of a claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

evening peeps.

Question:

Yes. No two ways about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Limbo123 wrote: »
    If notifying the insurance company, you may as well go through insurance as they will log an accident against your policy and your premium will rise next year regardless of a claim.

So if its someone else's fault and there insurance pays for damage you also get hit with premium increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bunch of offtopic removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Limbo123 wrote: »

When there is an open claim it can go against you at time of renewal but once settled nothing goes against you unless the payout was from your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

GM228 wrote: »
    When there is an open claim it can go against you at time of renewal but once settled nothing goes against you unless the payout was from your own insurance.

This is exactly it. A family member had someone run/walk into the side of their car while they were stopped at traffic lights. The person is trying to claim damages from the insurance company. Insurance company is going to fight it, which may take some time to get to court. Meanwhile the family member has been hit with a €2.5K renewal due to a claim outstanding.

This is exactly it. A family member had someone run/walk into the side of their car while they were stopped at traffic lights. The person is trying to claim damages from the insurance company. Insurance company is going to fight it, which may take some time to get to court. Meanwhile the family member has been hit with a €2.5K renewal due to a claim outstanding.

if they're fighting, are they not acknowledging your family member was not liable?

i was rode bareback as a young fella as I had an unsettled claim on my insurance
    I was last into a pile up. took years to settle. But I was 100% in the wrong

• Advertisement

update:
    (he's admitted liability, so we're going through insurance)

So they've (other insurance company's assessor) has come back with an offer. They reckon its a write off, not worth repairing. They're offering me what I think is unreasonable e.g ~ €2K

If I accept their offer, I'll have to take some time off work, and trawl around car sales/done dealers looking for something I can afford with their offer, which is less the mean value for similar cars in the area I live.

I'm already down a day (the day after I'd to take off, as my car was fcuked), & I'll have to take it to a scrap yard at my cost.

Should I bring it to my garage (a main dealer) and have it assessed, and say it comes in €4K to repair, can I say I want it repaired? Its of great sentimental value etc.
    What are they legally obliged to do?
    Are they just required to offer enough to have a similar car replace the one their client wrote off?

My car was going fine until their client wrote if off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

They will always lowball you, you need to fight the good fight unfortunately! make sure they are giving you a hire car from right now until the case is settled

rex-x wrote: »
    They will always lowball you, you need to fight the good fight unfortunately! make sure they are giving you a hire car from right now until the case is settled

Interesting thought, I have a car from them. But if this drags on a bit
    The cost of car hire could soon exceed the cost of the fcekin car!

Interesting thought, I have a car from them. But if this drags on a bit
    The cost of car hire could soon exceed the cost of the fcekin car!

Find similar models advertised on donedeal/carzone etc provide them as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look on Revenue.ie for the VRT calculated OMSP of the car, sometimes that will help your case. Get printouts of similar cars for sale on Donedeal, if you have receipts for major work done like timing belt, new tyres etc product these.

What kind of car is it and what are they offering out of curiosity?

have a range of similar models, while I dont expect a Maserati as replacement, I wont be settling for the cheapest one available.

Advertisement