Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi a4 help

Options
  • 04-01-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi guys, last week my 05 audi a4 packed up, a oil pressure sensor came up and i stopped the car cause i know how bad it can get, or thought i knew, i got a call from the garage, its an audi registered garage, that the repair bill would be 3500!!!! im just wondering if i decided to try and get the car fixed with none genuine parts , what kind of money would i be looking at? anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well we can hardly tell what kind of money your looking at because you havent told us what the exact fault is and what he is charging 3500 on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

2.0 Tdi, oil pump nein pumping, ja?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

All I can tell you is that 6 months ago I was quoted 3600 by audi north to replace the front suspension on my 05 a4. I laughed, went online and bought all the required bits and had them fitted for 400 inclusive . Your car isn't worth 3500. Get it out of there and look for a recommended local mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why anyone would even bring a 12 year old car to a main dealer is baffling. Bring it to a good independent garage for price but be aware that given the age of the car it could be uneconomical to repair it depending on the level of damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shorty106

the only reason i brought it to a main dealer was i used audi assist to recover the car, and at the time my girlfriend was due to give birth and they supplied me with a courtesy car which i needed big time,and return they wouldn t let me take it to my local mechanic had to be an audi dealer,
    all the main garage have told me is the chain went on the pump and wrecked the engine, now i m not that stupid there s no chance i m paying 3500 for repair when as someone said the car isn t worth that, i got another quote from an independent mechanic for,

depending on damage 1200 to 1800?? depending on the turbo blowing or not, that includes him changing the timing belt as well,
    do you think it s worth me spending say 1500 on it? to resell it after, would i recover my loss or even break even? i have a 2.0tdi with 170 000 miles on her, i could gather 1500 at a push but it might be better spent on a used car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭queueeye

shorty106 wrote: »
    the only reason i brought it to a main dealer was i used audi assist to recover the car, and at the time my girlfriend was due to give birth and they supplied me with a courtesy car which i needed big time,and return they wouldn t let me take it to my local mechanic had to be an audi dealer,
    all the main garage have told me is the chain went on the pump and wrecked the engine, now i m not that stupid there s no chance i m paying 3500 for repair when as someone said the car isn t worth that, i got another quote from an independent mechanic for,

depending on damage 1200 to 1800?? depending on the turbo blowing or not, that includes him changing the timing belt as well,
    do you think it s worth me spending say 1500 on it? to resell it after, would i recover my loss or even break even? i have a 2.0tdi with 170 000 miles on her, i could gather 1500 at a push but it might be better spent on a used car

If you fix your own at least you know what you're left with, spending 1500 on a used car might only buy you trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shorty106

lol thats very true, i just dont know how long the reconditioned engine would last ?! the luck of the draw suppose

Advertisement