Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner driver accompanied by full licence holder who has less than two years?

Options
  • 04-01-2017 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey all ! Quick one, I am looking to start driving in the next 6 months and during this time i'll want to practice in the car, but my girlfriend does not have her full license for more than two years which in turn technically says i cannot drive the car then. 
    I am obviously thinking of just ignoring this and wondering if anybody has had experience being pulled over on this and does this carry a fine/penalty points or does the guard just give you a slap on the wrist ? 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated 
    Cheers !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You get penalised for driving unaccompanied. I'd expect the same to be driving accompanied by someone not qualified to accompany you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Legality-wise you are still driving unaccompanied, however in the eyes of the public it's better to drive with your girlfriend than alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You would get fined and penalty points and since you are a learner you only need half the number of points to get disqualified . It may affect your insurance costs later at renewal .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

well hey, you haven't even started started driving yet and already you're deciding what laws don't really apply to you.

Fast learner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Skatedude wrote: »
    You would get fined and penalty points and since you are a learner you only need half the number of points to get disqualified . It may affect your insurance costs later at renewal .

Another thing to consider, is that the new laws coming in, the person who owns the car can also be penalised too, by permitting you use of the car, while you are unaccampanied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The only solution nowadays is to insure your own app 1L car that is less then 10 years old at sky high prices and dont dare do anything that might get you into trouble for the first few years until you build up your no claims bonus.
    Been a named driver is almost useless now as it dosent really count towards getting your own cheaper insurance and can even get you into trouble if you are driving your own car as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

i'm going to be honest here,
    "someone I know" has been driving on L plates for the last year and a half and theyve done roughly 20 checkpoints
    They wave them through everytime once they've no reason to stop you. (DO NOT GIVE THEM A REASON)

This may be inconsiderate to other road users if "friend" is seen as a danger, But he needs to get to work and he needs to be able to do the shopping for himself and the other half because the rents are so high he was forced outside of dublin.

But i can bet you at least 65% of road users dont indicate or know how to drive on a motorway.
    A lot of drivers on the road got their license in 1979 when they just gave them out for the craic which is ridiculous

I feel "my friend" is a decent driver.
    His test is in two weeks.

IMO id say just drive but I do believe they are really clamping down on L drivers.

Add the garda checkpoints fb page if you wanna be extra safe ;)

Wait... you are telling them it's fine to drive with someone who does not qualify to accompany the OP because you trust your mate who has yet to to a test to drive unaccompanied, while so many where given a license without having done a test 38 years ago? There's a chance the majority of those are no longer driving now.

It's also of little use referencing your friend's experience of being waved through checkpoints, as legislation is being changed now to minimize and even remove in most circumstances Garda discretion.

Wait... you are telling them it's fine to drive with someone who does not qualify to accompany the OP because you trust your mate who has yet to to a test to drive unaccompanied, while so many where given a license without having done a test 38 years ago? There's a chance the majority of those are no longer driving now.

It's also of little use referencing your friend's experience of being waved through checkpoints, as legislation is being changed now to minimize and even remove in most circumstances Garda discretion.

Im not even going to reply, you dont get me when I say friend. Have a nice day.

steo_magra wrote: »
    Im not even going to reply, you dont get me when I say friend. Have a nice day.

Oh... you mean yourself then? Really it doesn't matter who it is or why you are endorsing them. One doesn't get excused due to the actions of others.

• Advertisement

your spot on

Advertisement