Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT date?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

My Mrs car is due its NCT in March. We got the notification over Xmas and as you can do it 90 days early thought we'd get it out of the way, as I managed to find an appointment at short notice.

The car passed but when I went to swap the disc, I noticed that the new one is valid until Dec 2018, instead of Mar 2019. In other words because I organised the test early, the car is now due its next test three months before it would have been!

Surely this can't be right?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If the date you actually do the test is more than 90 days early, the disc is valid for 1 or 2 years from that date. Within 90 days and the expiry date on the disc is 1 or 2 years from the due date.

*1 or 2 years depends on age of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What date was it due, what date did you test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You prob did it earlier than 90 days before the due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

Wheety wrote: »
    If the date you actually do the test is more than 90 days early, the disc is valid for 1 or 2 years from that date. Within 90 days and the expiry date on the disc is 1 or 2 years from the due date.

*1 or 2 years depends on age of car.

I've just counted the days, it was done 91 days before the test was due :mad:
    I received their email, selected a booking date, and had the test done. Do you have a link with the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

spuddy wrote: »
    I've just counted the days, it was done 91 days before the test was due :mad:

Yes that's the problem I am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ring them, they have been known to be generous in such cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can I ask how old the car is? Reason I'm asking is because I received a letter as my car is an '07. It meant that by testing early I got 2 years from the date it was tested rather than 1 year from the date it was due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

My Mrs car is due its NCT in March. We got the notification over Xmas and as you can do it 90 days early thought we'd get it out of the way, as I managed to find an appointment at short notice.

The car passed but when I went to swap the disc, I noticed that the new one is valid until Dec 2018, instead of Mar 2019. In other words because I organised the test early, the car is now due its next test three months before it would have been!

I did likewise but it allowed me take a 2 year retest on a 9 years and 9 month old so effectively I will not need a yearly test until the car is 12 yr old

Wheety wrote: »
    Can I ask how old the car is? Reason I'm asking is because I received a letter as my car is an '07. It meant that by testing early I got 2 years from the date it was tested rather than 1 year from the date it was due.

It's a 2011 so no advantage there, good tip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Do you have a link with the rule?

Section 3(3)(b)(i) of the Road Traffic (National Car Test) Regulations 2014.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/322/made/en/print
    (3) Where, following a voluntary early test, a test report is issued in respect of a vehicle, other than a new vehicle, showing that all the items specified in Schedule 3 applicable at the time of the voluntary early test and tested in respect of the vehicle are satisfactory, the test due dates for such vehicle are—

(a) where such test report was issued on, or not more than 90 days before, the tenth anniversary of first registration of the vehicle, each subsequent anniversary of the tenth anniversary of first registration of the vehicle, and

(b) in the case of a vehicle not referred to in subparagraph (a)—

(i) until the tenth anniversary of first registration of the vehicle, each subsequent biennial of the date such test report was issued, and

(ii) from the tenth anniversary of first registration of the vehicle, each subsequent anniversary of the date such test report was issued.

Isambard wrote: »
    ring them, they have been known to be generous in such cases

The NCT can't be generous in adjusting it, it's a legal requirement that once you test 91 days or more early that the retest date changes, legally they can't change it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is where i think the NCT should correct this for you.

If you had booked the test yourself without them notifying you ---> 100% your fault, suck it up.

They shouldnt sent out those notifications more than 90 days prior you due date to avoid this kind of crap.

To let you know how this turned out ....I had a positive result!
    Given the circumstances, they agreed to re-issue the NCT with the expected date in March. I had to return the original cert and disc (they wouldn't have done this without both) and fair play to them, I received the new cert/disc in the post a few days later as promised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

inforfun wrote: »
    That is where i think the NCT should correct this for you.

If you had booked the test yourself without them notifying you ---> 100% your fault, suck it up.

They shouldnt sent out those notifications more than 90 days prior you due date to avoid this kind of crap.

Or they should include a recommended date range explicitly stated, so you know what your going to get upon the car passing. This sounds like a mail merge thing doing the notifications, so shouldn't be too hard to put in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I got the same email end of last year.
    When you do go check for an appointment, you do get a range but only from the current day till 2 or 3 weeks later.
    Whether or not i could have been doing the same as OP i cant remember, i had time off en off last year and already planned to go for the NCT then (car was due jan 4th) so i waited with booking till the days i was off, fell into that range.

It is a mailing, it is more than likely auto generated, it shouldnt end up in your email inbox more than 90 days before you are due to go.
    I appreciate the efforts to make the first few months less busy for the NCT centres, but catching people out like this is not the way.

As so often, 8 out of 10 for the idea, 3 out of 10 for the implementation.

Advertisement