Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

YACC training thread

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thirty seventh week over.

Cutting down on the road speed and spinning alot more, although I will be damned if my ego can't help speeding up everytime some young lad nips past at the lights on red, so spinning with intervals. One of them turned to me at the next lights after I overtook him and said "nothing wrong with you". I took it as a compliment, rather than a, your old aren't you.

Going to start drawing up a proper training plan for next year over the next fortnight. Time to get serious about getting points next year.

Weight: 82.5 kg
    Average BG: 9.4 mmol/L
    km's rode: 160km

Thirty eighth week over.

Well I have realised this week that my flexibility is worse than I thought. As well as not being able to get into the Recovery position when relaxed ( I spring backwards), I also can't put my ass on my heels when kneeling down. So the Yoga is starting next week, or at least stretching every day.

Learning to relax and enjoy the spin in to work, keeping a nice average without over effort.Cutting down on the road speed and spinning alot more.

Weight: 83 kg
    Average BG: 8.9 mmol/L
    km's rode: 160km

Thirty ninth week over.

Absolutely wrecked this week, I think I am run down so not much to report

Average BG: 10.6 mmol/L (insulin pump failed twice this week, If I exclude those times it drops to just under 8)
    km's rode: 180km

Fortieth week over.

Lost alot of weight last week with dehydration. It was a fun Tuesday where I vomited so har, I thought I was going to choke. I looked alot like Mr. Creosote in Monty Phython.

Then I lost all my water weight through other excretions. Woke up the next day with severe back pain and basically lost a week of work as I sat in there like a mindless zombie.

Good news is that Dioralyte is a god send, weak as a puppy though for the rest of the week.

Average BG: 9.53 mmol/L
    km's rode: 140km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭daragh_

All that training paid off. Club Gold-Sprints Champion!!!

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    All that training paid off. Club Gold-Sprints Champion!!!
    Thanks Daragh_

Very unexpected, when I seen the incumbents time I pretty much gave up on winning and was just concentrating on getting a faster time than my clubmate beside me as he had went upto semi limit and left me behind in limit. I think it was more position and ignorance rather than being better than others. i decided not to lift my head, just close my eyes and spin like f%ck until someone stopped me or I couldn't anymore.

This said, I have been looking at track bikes online all day, my ego is in over drive.

Fortieth second week over. (no 41st, first week I missed)

Hospital appointment this week and it looks like I have some underlying issue in relation to my health in general. Nothing serious but it looks like I am carrying something that is just not clearing at the minute. They took a load of bloods and are running a few tests, a few hormone assays as well, to rule out a few unlikely things.

Blood sugars were a mess for the past fortnight though so not expecting much good. It has screwed up my sleep as well as my general demeanour. Regrettably this means my work has suffered, and I am a bit of a jerk to people. Thankfully it seems to be getting better, so hopefully back on track ASAP.

Weight: 82.5 kg / 83.5 kg
    Average BG: 13.8 mmol/L / 10.27 mmol/L
    km's rode: 140km / 155km

Forty third week over.

Still exhausted all the time but getting better. Bloods from hospital showed up nothing so have to go back in for a full work up but suspect whatever it is will be gone by the time I get in.

Really looking strongly at a track bike to spend money on.

HbA1c is at 7.9, so still above my target for the year of below 7, so have less than 10 weeks to get that sorted. Giving up the booze for November as the weight is starting to climb again and I suspect my lazy weekends of beers and Tv in the evening is to blame for this. If this works, may extend it until mid December.

Weight: 84 kg
    Average BG: 9.7mmol/L
    km's rode: 140km

Forty fourth week over.

At this point, I am starting to feel like I can't wait for the year to be over so I can close this thread and start afresh next year.

might get the rollers back out so I get some exercise in, in the evening.

Weight: 84.5 kg
    Average BG: 13.8 mmol/L
    km's rode: 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Fair play to you - it's a long hard grind you're doing. Lots of people would take the ill-health as an excuse to say 'feck it' and stop logging.

I guess most of your kms are commute ones - don't you like to ride at the weekend?

• Advertisement

brownian wrote: »
    Fair play to you - it's a long hard grind you're doing. Lots of people would take the ill-health as an excuse to say 'feck it' and stop logging.

I guess most of your kms are commute ones - don't you like to ride at the weekend?

I love to ride my bike all the time, alas it is just not possible at the weekends. Between kids, parents, repairs, report writing and sleeping with 2 or 3 hours, it just doesn't work. I fit in a little but not much. I just cannot seem to find the time.

All of my cycling is commuting to a certain degree, it improves from spring onwards as the club league starts and since I help organise, I play the people are relying on me card. most of the races I do are based solely on whether they are close to my house or close to my parents or in laws housing, so I can work it in, so basically any racing outside of the midlands and the east coast is now ignored.

I realise it is my own fault but it is hard to time manage with a young kid and an older kid, and I don't like bailing on my partner for half the day (although I still do it now and again).

Forty fifth week over.

Weird experience this week where I feel like I am really trucking along but it turns out I am going slower than usual, not sure if its the kink in my rear wheel or something else but it is more enjoyable this week regardless

Still no rollers out but I will get to it.

Average BG: 8.4 mmol/L
    km's rode: 195km

Forty sixth week over.

Still issues with speed and time. I feel like I am pushing along but still, adding on about 10% time wise to my commutes

Average BG: 9.99 mmol/L
    km's rode: 175km

Forty seventh week over.

Doing alot of driving for work this week so just took the work car home to save time in the morning on two occasions, which meant my mileage is well down. Interestingly, really takes a knock on the whole head space as I have been way off my game as well, so in fact my attempts to save work time and money may actually be costing them in the long run.

Average BG: 10 mmol/L

Forty eighth week over.

Blood sugar control is vastly improved this week, although still far from perfect. Weight has gone up again. It really is the most boring training log in history.

Weight: 84.5 kg
    Average BG: 8.5 mmol/L

Forty ninth week over.

So so tired at the minute, very little on the bike and no great want to either. Hoping to up it a bit over christmas but with christmas party week about to begin, I don't expect any good news next week.

Weight: 83.4 kg
    km's rode: 70km

Fiftieth week over.

Still tired but one child has went down with a viral dose, so I suspect I have an underlying "thing".

Weight: 83.4 kg
    km's rode: 40km

Getting close to the end, I want to see where i ended up in regards my goals

- get upgraded from Limit to Semi Limit in the Club League (then to beat daragh_ in one race) FAILED on both counts. I came damn close, and fully expect to be upgraded next year. Never raced Daragh_ in the end, so that grudge match will carry over.
    - drop back down to 80kg FAILED I got about half way there but I feel diet is the key here
    - get HbA1c down to under 7 by June FAILED half way there, 6 months later

Quite a successful run of failures. I finished the Wexford 2 day which is a first and everything technically improved, which I suppose is good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement