Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to New Zealand in 2017 long term

Options
  • 02-01-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Leaving Europe for green passures in 2017. NZ is my only option, as I will never again not live in an english speaking country.

US No Visa
    UK great place maybe in later life
    CA Too cold
    AUS Can't get another visa, best place in the world
    NZ not sure but will give it ago as its easy to start a business

Need a some advice on a few things

The best city to live money not a problem?

Best place to play golf?

Best weather for outdoor lifestyle?

Worst places to live?

Will go over on WHV and hopefully work for one year before setting up business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

thejourney wrote: »
    Leaving Europe for green passures in 2017. NZ is my only option, as I will never again not live in an english speaking country.

US No Visa
    CA Too cold

Best place to play golf?

Worst places to live?

> The best city to live money not a problem?
    Wellington if you like Cork or Melbourne (cultural capital and all)
    Auckland if you like Dublin Sydney
    Dunedin or New Plymouth if you like Galway.

> Best place to play golf?
    No idea. Maybe somewhere near Taupo.

> Best weather for outdoor lifestyle?
    Nelson. Or maybe Whangarei

> Worst places to live?
    Taupo out of sight of the lake (large proportion of the permanent population with gang affiliations).
    Certain parts of South Auckland (North Dublin esque - not nearly as bad, but still places where skinny white boys should watch where they go at night).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭thejourney

> The best city to live money not a problem?
    Wellington if you like Cork or Melbourne (cultural capital and all)
    Auckland if you like Dublin Sydney
    Dunedin or New Plymouth if you like Galway.

> Best place to play golf?
    No idea. Maybe somewhere near Taupo.

> Best weather for outdoor lifestyle?
    Nelson. Or maybe Whangarei

> Worst places to live?
    Taupo out of sight of the lake (large proportion of the permanent population with gang affiliations).
    Certain parts of South Auckland (North Dublin esque - not nearly as bad, but still places where skinny white boys should watch where they go at night).

Is it better than AUS?

Any advice would be great.

You there now? Heard did have big abbo problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is it better than AUS?

Any advice would be great.

You there now? Heard did have big abbo problem?

of course it is, everywhere is. you'll learn that quick enough once here :p

advice: learn a bit more about the country to decide where to go, so different. Auckland is just another city and has awful traffic, decent weather. Wellington is miserable and windy. Christchurch is boom town but high risk of another massive quake. Queenstown is world adventure capital but choked with tourists. Lots of money and facilities in New Plymouth but very remote to everywhere else. Plenty of other places to choose from too. North island is wealthier and more connected, south island is amazing stunning geography but only 1/4 the pop so less opportunities.

for golf: taupo, queenstown or auckland

of course it is, everywhere is. you'll learn that quick enough once here :p

advice: learn a bit more about the country to decide where to go, so different. Auckland is just another city and has awful traffic, decent weather. Wellington is miserable and windy. Christchurch is boom town but high risk of another massive quake. Queenstown is world adventure capital but choked with tourists. Lots of money and facilities in New Plymouth but very remote to everywhere else. Plenty of other places to choose from too. North island is wealthier and more connected, south island is amazing stunning geography but only 1/4 the pop so less opportunities.

for golf: taupo, queenstown or auckland

Great Answer

The thing is I have already lived abroad and been successful so i would not be leaving to earn money per say, rather lifestyle

I suppose my question is this my friend

If you had to choose between a good life in Ireland, and a good life in New Zealand, which would you choose?

If you had to choose between a good life in Ireland, and a good life in New Zealand, which would you choose?

I'd never go back to Ireland. been here 5.5 years now. Could see myself moving back to Europe eventually but definitely not Ireland

• Advertisement

I'd never go back to Ireland. been here 5.5 years now. Could see myself moving back to Europe eventually but definitely not Ireland

The thing is where in Europe though...English is only spoken in Ireland and Uk

what would be the reasons to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

US No Visa
    CA Too cold

Best place to play golf?

Worst places to live?

Just to throw one more English-speaking option in, in case you haven't considered it: Malta is EU, amazing weather (except for July to September when the humidity is a killer). Rent and property purchase are cheap. Whether you would want to work there depends on what kind of work you do; there are plenty of financial, IT & online gambling jobs because it's a bit of an offshore location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Wellington. It's one of the greatest cities in the world.

Nothing like Cork.

Just to throw one more English-speaking option in, in case you haven't considered it: Malta is EU, amazing weather (except for July to September when the humidity is a killer). Rent and property purchase are cheap. Whether you would want to work there depends on what kind of work you do; there are plenty of financial, IT & online gambling jobs because it's a bit of an offshore location.

I see they don't take any ****e over there. I have a feeling it only a holiday place

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10192465/In-pictures-Migrants-in-Malta.html

bleg wrote: »
    Wellington. It's one of the greatest cities in the world.

Nothing like Cork.

yeah, the sideways rain is a real plus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,393 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You're basing that on wages alone. I earned rubbish money in NZ and I earned fantastic money in NZ. If you're on the higher wage in NZ you wouldn't say it's a better place than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Surprised nobody has mentioned the poor quality of NZ housing stock yet :) It's usually the first thing mentioned!

OP if you're planning on buying a house in NZ, unless you have a LOT of money or are building your own place, most average-ish houses are quite different than what you'll get in Ireland or the UK. Think no central heating, insulation, or double glazing in the majority of homes. It might not matter so much in more tropical parts, but if you end up in a more temperate area, you will notice it believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

If it was me I would head to Mt Maunganui, Good weather, Beaches and Tauranga is just over the bridge which is an ok sized NZD city. Plenty of outdoor things to do and your only about 2 and half hours to Auckland. If you like a beach lifestyle this is where I would go.

If you're on the higher wage in NZ you wouldn't say it's a better place than Ireland.
    why would you say that? OK it's a bit remote and choice is limited but value for money is higher and upper income tax tiers are far far lower which makes a huge impact on earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

While on subject of staying long term.....I've been offered a work permit (??) Through work here.....

What's the story if you wished to move jobs/change employers etc on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

It depends on the type of permit you have. Some are tied to employer. Others are not. I was on a skilled migrant work permit for a while, but tied to the one place until I got Residency. Then freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

pclancy wrote: »
    It depends on the type of permit you have. Some are tied to employer. Others are not. I was on a skilled migrant work permit for a while, but tied to the one place until I got Residency. Then freedom.

Sorry I taught I replied to this...mustn't have posted

How long are you tied to the employer for?

I've 2 offers on the table...one where I am...and 1 from just testing the waters with other employers

I assume....it'll be skilled migrant visa

Advertisement