Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic 2005

Options
  • 28-12-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi I have a 2005 Renault Scenic (petrol) with the following issues;

A few weeks ago my car radio suddenly stopped working. No noise or anything just went to turn it on and nothing, then a few days later my battery died completely (less than 13 months old) i charged it up enough to get me to Myles balfe for a new battery. Guy there was very helpful and sorted me with brand new battery, told me the one I had was very weak and his one has a 3 year warranty.

Now just a few days ago same problem, radio has stopped working ( I have disconnected it) and now car is not starting at all. Nothing. No dash light, headlights, nothing. As I mentioned it's a brand new battery only few weeks old and now I can't get it started at all.

How can I check if the starter, battery or alternator is the issue? Would a multimeter be the best bet? Car stuck in the driveway now need to get it sorted ASAP.

I'm totally lost when it comes to this stuff. Any advice/suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

You'll need to get it started to check the alternator. Have you got a friend with jump leads?

Just assuming it starts fine on jump leads you will need a mulitmeter to check the output of the alternator.

It can be checked by putting the red lead of the multimeter to the positive and the black to the negative while also having the dipped beam on and the heater on full speed. 13v-14.2v is sound. anything thing less than 12v and the alternator has had it.

Be no harm to have your new battery charged while doing this test. If you bring it back to where you bought it im sure they will charge it for free since its a fairly new purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Worth checking the fusible link on the positive battery terminals, they are completely unpredictable, can fail at any time but give the symptoms of a completely dead battery - in particular the total absence of the led lighting in the dash.

The two faults are completely unrelated - those fusible links are well known for failing out of the blue - so I'd check that (very easily checked via a multimeter) and see.
    If the battery voltage is ok at rest (minimum 11.8v) and no lights on dash, check the bolted links on the positive battery terminal.

https://javalins.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/fusebox_2.jpg

Now, generally the rule of thumb with a blown fuse is to find out why the fuse blew, but trust me, Renault mechanics spent enough years failing to find faults, fitting new ones and only seeing the cars again for routine servicing to accept that the buggers just randomly blow :D

The only possible link (heh..) I could make would be that on both a megane and scenic, the starters failed soon after the links had been replaced (and stayed working...) do if the fuse is blown, it could be a symptom of the starter tightening up and causing the circuit to heat just a little, wearing the link (they respond to heat as well as shorting), but that was only two examples...

Worth checking the fusible link on the positive battery terminals, they are completely unpredictable, can fail at any time but give the symptoms of a completely dead battery - in particular the total absence of the led lighting in the dash.

The two faults are completely unrelated - those fusible links are well known for failing out of the blue - so I'd check that (very easily checked via a multimeter) and see.
    If the battery voltage is ok at rest (minimum 11.8v) and no lights on dash, check the bolted links on the positive battery terminal.

Now, generally the rule of thumb with a blown fuse is to find out why the fuse blew, but trust me, Renault mechanics spent enough years failing to find faults, fitting new ones and only seeing the cars again for routine servicing to accept that the buggers just randomly blow :D

The only possible link (heh..) I could make would be that on both a megane and scenic, the starters failed soon after the links had been replaced (and stayed working...) do if the fuse is blown, it could be a symptom of the starter tightening up and causing the circuit to heat just a little, wearing the link (they respond to heat as well as shorting), but that was only two examples...
    Good advice there! I've no real experience with renaults, just reverting back to basics :D Have seen them fuseable links to go on fords, especially when it comes to not charging.

brembo26 wrote: »
    Good advice there! I've no real experience with renaults, just reverting back to basics :D

Changed about half as many links as ignition coils :D
    But if the link turns out fine, it's definitely onto things like the alternator.
    Also very worth doing is (with a full battery) sitting into the car at night, starting it, turning it off, open door, close door then lock the car, with you inside.

Look around and make sure all interior lights are switching off. Have a back seat down to check the boot, and look for light from the glovebox.
    There's also a light inside the sliding centre console/storage compartment that's a fecker for not turning off.
    01.JPG
    Cheapest repair there is removing the bulb, it's rarely worth the hassle of fixing the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jvm76

https://youtu.be/aVvPzwtxdrM
    This turned out to be my problem. I was charging the battery every night like a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Thanks for the replies, I'm heading out not to buy a multimeter I will check the battery first and ask a friend to help jump start it so I can check the alternator.

Is it hard to replace the fusible link if that's what has blown? I think my problem could have been the connector where you charge phone from, it's possible that could have stayed on as I never checked when I locked the car.

I will update as soon as I get home, thanks again.

Changed about half as many links as ignition coils :D
    But if the link turns out fine, it's definitely onto things like the alternator.
    Also very worth doing is (with a full battery) sitting into the car at night, starting it, turning it off, open door, close door then lock the car, with you inside.

Look around and make sure all interior lights are switching off. Have a back seat down to check the boot, and look for light from the glovebox.
    There's also a light inside the sliding centre console/storage compartment that's a fecker for not turning off.
    01.JPG
    Cheapest repair there is removing the bulb, it's rarely worth the hassle of fixing the switch.

Hi can you tell me how to check the fusible links and terminals with a multimeter? I've never used one before 😋😂

Okay guys, update:

I checked the battery with multimeter.

Reading was 2.76

What exactly does that mean?

It should be 12.6?

I didn't check fusible links as I'm not sure how to do that.

But it definitely read out 2.76 on the multimeter when I put it on battery terminals.

When i charged the battery yesterday (using a challenge battery charger) it charged for about 2 mins and green light came on to indicate battery was fully charged.

Pain in the tits

If you had the meter set to DC voltage, then 2.76 means the battery has definitely been discharged, ruling out links for now, but it only taking two minutes to recharge suggests that's not the case. Could you please upload a pic of the multimeter?

Regarding the links, Renault appears to have started selling them separately, instead of the whole red box, like so.
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Battery-Fuse-Link-Connector-To-Renault-Clio-Kangoo-Laguna-Megane-CAL2-8200177920-/301852203936?nav=SEARCH

Hand in the part number and they'll probably have one in stock.

I have attached photos of the terminals, and the multimeter etc...

I am not sure how to check the fusible links with a multimeter?

• Advertisement

If you had the meter set to DC voltage, then 2.76 means the battery has definitely been discharged, ruling out links for now, but it only taking two minutes to recharge suggests that's not the case. Could you please upload a pic of the multimeter?

Regarding the links, Renault appears to have started selling them separately, instead of the whole red box, like so.
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Battery-Fuse-Link-Connector-To-Renault-Clio-Kangoo-Laguna-Megane-CAL2-8200177920-/301852203936?nav=SEARCH

Hand in the part number and they'll probably have one in stock.

I used a challenge battery charger to recharge the battery, I put the clamps on the battery posts and it started to indicate charging (orange light) then I plugged it into the wall socket and it shows FULLY CHARGED. Yet when I checked with mulitmeter it says 2.76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I had an 03 Scenic with similar battery issues. One minute car would be fine next flat as a pancake. Turned out to be the alternator. Common enough issue according to my mechanic

Multimeter is on the right setting for voltage alright, so 2 volts is definitely way too low.
    Just weird that it comes up charged on the charger...

Checking the links is easy enough, see the attachment, disconnect it from the battery and check the terminals with the resistance section of the multimeter. Anything other than "OL" or "ERR" means the link is grand.

I'd say the link is grand though and we're going full circle and arriving at the alternator, just wanted to go through the cheapest causes first :D

Checking the alternator is easy, fastest way in your case with the flat battery is to just connect another car (not running) to yours and run yours. Check the voltage then. If your car is not providing at least 13.8 volts, your alternator isn't providing enough charge and your car is just running on it's reserve - particularly when other things are switched on.

only thing thats weird about all this is no mention of a battery light :confused: I reckon it is a fuseable link.

Is this the newer shape scenic? if it is, dare I mention the BCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Sounds like you have a bogey battery and a parasitic current drain. There is a procedure yu can do to check which circuit is drawing too much current, pm me and i'll talk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we had a similar problem with our mk 2 Scenic, but it seemed to only happen if we had the boot open for any time - I figured one of the lights in the boot was drawing an abnormally high current and draining the battery super fast. It left us nearly stranded in France a couple of years ago when it wouldn't start after loading the boot to go home.

In the end we traded it in, & the Scenic we replaced it with (mk 3) did the same thing! But in this case it seems to have been an issue with the radio headset and certain bluetooth settings - I changed the settings and it hasn't re-occurred. Bloody Renaults!

Advertisement