Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"It's what you do next that counts"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

Hi woddle, how is the garmin 405 going for you? thinking of getting one myself to help with the running. is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Hi Woddle, I had shin problems a few months ago. I took a break completely from any running/soccer for 2 weeks. Iced up my shin a few times a day and massaged with a golf ball into the lower shin muscles pretty vigorously, it was a tip from my triathelete brother in law. Worked well and have had no problems since. Its pretty important to take a complete break, maybe rethink the soccer? I was permanently getting injuries playing indoor footie!

Cormac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers for the advice Cormac. I took 3 complete days off, based on the advice on some running book and iced it constantly and used some biofreeze and also used the foam roller. And the good news is that I ran 4 miles today and no signs of the injury, but the rest of me kind of felt that I was struggling, I blame that mostly on my diet in Wexford, sweets and coke.

The forerunner 405 is excellent. Its far better looking on your wrist than my old 305. Also you get satelite coverage in less than a min after turning it on.
    Its easier to find stuff through the menus. And for changing the screen menu you just tap the watch. I like it and would def recommend it. The big plus is the satelite coverage I used to hate waiting around for my 305 to lock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

cheers woddle, will defo be getting a 405 soon.

Well I couldn't do it, I couldn't give up the indoor football. I enjoy it too much. The hall was so hot and I was still so stuffed from a 10 oz burger at dinner time. I'm going to start eating properly again tomorrow and that includes no more eating chivers strawberry jam with a spoon in the middle of the night.
    Tomorrow I plan to run Sundays 5 mile race route, see if theres any advantage in doing so, I think it will be touch and go for Sundays race to break sub 40, hopefully the training before my injury break, will pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi woddle good idea to run the race route just in case the miles are'nt marked you will at least know how long it is and how far to go etc also just to get used to the course and not go out to fast only to discover the second half is all up hill, best of luck on sunday

Cheers for the support sungod.
    I didn't run all of the route but I did incorporate some of it, the easy bit(downhill).
    I set out to do 5 miles, I felt very irritable at the start and it turns out I was running too fast, did the 1st mile in 7:42, I set the watch to beep every mile and when it did I would count every time my right leg hit the ground up to 60 obviously at a fast pace. 2nd mile 7:24 and 3rd mile 7:39 then I hit a hill and started to struggle and ran 8:09 and 8:13 for the remainder 2 miles so I did sub 40, 39:09,
    Now my average hr was 174 and in the previous 2 races I ran it was 178 so I don,t know whether I can beat this new time on Sunday or not, I'll obviously pace myself better.
    My dilema with the race though is the first half of the race is slightly downhill with a huge hill at the halfway stage and then a slight incline to the last half mile where it flattens out, so anyone got ideas on pacing or tactics I could use.
    for example do I go all out and try make up time on the downhill part of the race, I'm unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Your first sub 40 5 miler? Nice...well done Woddle

I'm stupid,stupid stupid.
    I was asked to play football last night so I did, I was deadly but I was kicked on my sore shin which still has a small lump and bruising.
    I planned to run the 4 miles home after football, which I did, This is the problem I knew my shin was sore after the football but I didn't listen to the little voice in my head.
    The lump is bigger now and more bruised, Im going to try and see a physio today.
    According to my watch I ran 3.5 miles during 50 mins of 5 aside astro, average hr 161

Firstly hats off to sportsworld, excellent race
    I have nursed my injury well over the last couple of days,ice ibrufon and a golf ball.
    I wasn't sure how the shin would hold up b ut I was determined to run this race.
    My goal had changed to sub 39 after last Wednesdays run 39:09.
    My plan was 7:50 for the first mile see how the shin is and then take it from there.
    1st mile 7:24 but still felt reasonably comfortable
    2nd mile 7:30
    3rd mile 7:39 which included a bitch of a hill.
    I spotted my friend just before the 4 mile marker and had planned to overtake him at the 4 miles, so I did, but he latched on to me,
    4th mile 7:40, I planned to take the first 1/2 mile steady so as to have a good burst at the end so sped up but couldn't shake my friend of till the last 400 when I increased the pace again and went on to beat him by 12 seconds
    5th mile 7:19
    total 37:35 average HR 181.And forget that 220 minus your age=191, my max today was 198
    Overall delighted with my progress 10K great run 54:52
    Today 5 mile 37:35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff woddle, its only when we race that we can see how far we've come and that the training is really getting us somewhere. ya cant beat that bit of competitive edge that ya get in races like trying to beat your friend etc i love it ,anyway good stuff woddle and a great time for the race keep it up well done

Glad to see the leg is back in order - 37:35 is a great time well done - you're putting it up to me now!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Good stuff Woddel great report. As Sungod said the little bit of competiitiveness really helps. Nice time too it great to use these logs to note your improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Brilliant work Woddle! You're really putting it up to me now too! My great run time was a few mins faster than yours, but I don't think I'll be as quick as you were today for the Docklands run on Tuesday... Keep up the good work and I'll keep trying to catch up with you ;)

Cheers guys appreciate your posts,and I think your spot on Ike in your pm it justs seems to be bruising and the twisting and turning playing football just seems to bring it on.
    I ran 4.67 miles today in 42:49, really enjoyed it, even though Ive been suffering with a hangover, and whats funnier is I was in Bradys in Terenure last night and started to walk home, I then saw some yellow writing on the road it read 3 mile marker, I was on the same road that I ran on earlier and all of a sudden I started running home, I must have been some sight.

One last story.In 2002 I brought a friend who had never raced before to a cityswift 10 miler, I finished in 69 mins and I waited for him at the finish,85 mins on the clock and my uncle came cross the line,so I thought to myself theres no way he's slower than my uncle,I hear a shout and look behind and he's dressed and everything, he did it in 60 mins, we all had a good laugh. so after the race I told him he def had a talent for the sport ( he had no idea how good he was)and I suggested he join sportsworld.
    I bumped into him yesterday in Bradys and we got talking( we had lost touch)
    he ran yesterday in 26:01 and finished 8th and he just ran 70 mins for a half marathon in Berlin.But what made my day was him thanking me and telling me I'm responsible for his involvement in the sport.Anyway congrats to him.
    I also asked him was he secretly thinking of London 2012 marathon qualification, he said no, but there was a hint in his eyes, so watch this space, I'm no expert so I don't know how realistic this is but he's got 4 years.

Indoor football last night, I tried a different pair of runners, but my shin is sore again but not as bad as it has been, so I think that def could be the final nail in my football playing days.

I'm going to take Ikes lead, Today is 3 months back in training.
    My start weight was 185 lbs - now its 166 lbs
    My resting HR is down to 50 and my max seems to have increased if possible, its now about 198.
    I can get into a few more of my older clothes.
    My diet isn't great but I have cut out soft drinks and I'm now only eating takeaway one every 2 weeks. The biggest thing is sweets, I can now go days without eating them, in the past I would have consumed daily.
    Starting to feel more confident.
    Next goal is a 35 min 5 mile in July as part of the addidas series.

last weeks 5 mile time has been revised to 37:44 according to sportsworld website.

Nice going on the 3 month mark - at this stage I'd find it harder to give up than keep going! Would love to aim for a 35min 5mile myself but at the moment I reckon weight is my biggest problem - I'm still lugging around 14st which is not helping.

well Ike your already doing good times so imagine what we can do when we loose a few more pounds:D
    Took Wednesday off as a precaution.No ill effects.
    So took the finger out and ran 10.27 miles in an 1 hr 30 mins, because I might do a 5K race on Sunday and I can't really afford to keep missing my weekend long runs

4 miles in Marley park in 35 mins bit stiff from yesterdays run

• Advertisement

5.5 miles today in 50 mins, did not enjoy it at all, my heart rate was higher than normal for this type of run, so I might take tomorrow off, def not going to race, still a little niggle in my shin, which I end up thinking about the whole time I'm running.
    I came across an excellent training log that you can use with excel. It counts your runners milage quite useful for finding that 500 limit, It has a pace calculator, lots of graphs and a points tally for your race time, not to sure how its calculated. Heres the link if your into it.
    http://www.davidhays.net/running/runlog/runlog.html

Well it turns out my elevated heart rate from my last run was a sign of illness, I have been pretty much bed ridden for the last few days, anti-biotics ran out yesterday and felt alot better today, so yep 5 miles in 45 mins but heart rate was still higher than normal,
    but the plus side to not running in 4 days is my shin seems to be a 100% again. I have alot of hard work to catch up with and I def need more consistency in my training.

10 miles at lunch time in 1 hour 41 mins and again at a higher heart rate, but todays could be due to the hot weather and dehydration, going to invest in a belt for my long runs so I can carry a water bottle, huge cravings for water on this hot run

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Fair play Woddle, the mileage is really going up! Yeah on any runs over 5 miles in hot weather I carry a belt. Its got 4 small bottles so I can use 2 or 4, whatever I need. I drink a lot in the hour or so before going for the run and I put powdered Gatorade in my bottles for energy and bring a granola bar too..Every little helps.

Cormac

http://myspace.com/thejutefactory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

In winter long runs I would take a belt if distance was over 12 miles or over.
    These days and 10 miles up I would load the belt and two bottles (200ml each). Newline does a good one. I got mine from Irishfit.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Woddle wrote: »
    10 miles at lunch time in 1 hour 41 mins and again at a higher heart rate, but todays could be due to the hot weather and dehydration, going to invest in a belt for my long runs so I can carry a water bottle, huge cravings for water on this hot run

May I suggest a camelbak there are different types I use the 3lt military one and would go as far as to say its the best investment I ever made running wise. I even use it on short runs. Some people dislike them but I find them very comy and the military one has a bigger mouth piece and helps to keep the water cool.

Cheers for the feedback guys, I went with Odysseus suggestion, camelbak, it's a 650 ml bottle and plenty more space for gels and stuff, 40 euro in Carrickmines, 53 degrees north. sad but looking forward to using it tomorrow:)

I was out the door at 8 this morning, my target was 13 miles, I managed 11 but still very happy because heart rate was back to normal and running with a belt was fine, I thought it might irritate me, but it didn't. I cut the run short because I could feel my right knee starting to lock up, probably due to 21 miles in 3 days.

6.3 miles today, was going to take it off, but got talked into it by a friend, we did it in an hour, he got burned I didn't( sun cream)

• Advertisement

Just tried weights for the first time in a long time, I use to be an electrician before I gave it up last year to stay at home with the kids, my point being I swore I used to have some strenght, but it's all gone.
    Tonight I tried 3 sets of 8
    Deadlift 30k
    Squats 25K
    upright row 20k
    Barbell curl 20k
    Shoulder press 20k
    and another exercise for tricep.
    My aim is to do weights on Tuesday and Friday, I have no idea about weights, so any input would be much appreciated. The reason for the weights is mainly for the gut,I've lost alot of weight but its slow to shift from the midrift.Going indoor football in 30 mins.

Advertisement