Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E60 rough idle

Options
  • 22-12-2016 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue before. My E60 523 developed a rough idle but only in Drive, i.e. it wasn't happening in Neutral. Over the last few months it's gotten a bit worse and is now happening in Neutral (although not as bad as when in gear) and the car is also sluggish up to approx 2k revs.

Spent a bit of time looking it up and it seems to be a fairly common problem although possible diagnosis includes plugs needing changing, vacuum leak, maf sensor, transmission software in need of updating and more.

I've plugged in a reader and there are no faults showing. Any ideas?

Comments

Big Nasty wrote: »
    ......... Any ideas?

Could be ignition coil too although that would generally be more intermittent initially. Coil or plugs IMO.

Plugs can go years beyond when they should be changed on modern stuff now since the intervals are so long.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My dad had the same issue on his 523 e60, I'll send him a message and see what it was that caused it. From memory his wasn't caused by coils, or vacuum leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any update on that Al?

Any update on that Al?

Dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is it a constant rough idle or only when Cold/Warm? I'd be wagering it being plugs or coils if it's a rough enough idle!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dude?

Really sorry! Mad week.

My dad's problem seemed to just go away of it's own accord. (Or he just hasn't been paying enough attention to it!).

Thanks lads. Was hoping someone had experienced similar here and found a solution. Looks like I'll have to follow a process of elimination. I'll start with the plugs. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

If you checking plugs, you have to remove coils first, so visually you can do a quick check on them. I get thru a quick fix in this month. She had a misfire on cyl 3 what shown by diag software. I just needed to replace (as temporary fix only) that ignition coil and job done.
    I have seen some youtube videos, and seems to me one had right. If you can see a yellowish discoloring ring at halfway on the silver/grey part, that coil is getting wrong or broken already. See attached picture, but not so obvious there (yet).s-l300.jpg

Anyway a quick diagnostic by INPA (BMW diagnostic tool software), -like I did- will tell you in almost in 100% what exactly wrong.

A new coil not too expensive, I bought a good aftermarket one at local motor factory for €32. (same what I bought is expensiver by tenner here >>> http://www.micksgarage.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1312852&carid=17290 )

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

I'd like remark, I think there is an another opportunity of a fault, which is not create a fault code, but is not proven yet for me. The worn vanos sealing can do a bit similar symptom: engine a bit weak and sluggish at low rev range up to 2000-2500RPM, and driving uphill the revmeter hopping between 2500-3000. This is my next job, what I will do very soon. If I want to get rid this small hesitation, I switch into the sport mode (mine is auto, not manual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Are you sure it's a rough idle and not noise from the gearbox? Can you see the rev needle jumping about when it's rough?

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a rough idle and not noise from the gearbox? Can you see the rev needle jumping about when it's rough?

Defo, yeah I can. You can feel it sluggish below 2k revs also. Could well be vanos seals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Sounds like the gearbox, common issue in the E60 and will cause said problems :( Solutions are either replacement or a rebuild.
    The issues are the torque converter (that causes the rev jumping) and friction plates cause the rough idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

There is a motor which actuates the variable valve timing system on these engines. I have changed out a few of them. The symptoms you describe are very similar. A plug in with INPA will show fault codes. Many generic scanners won't log factory specific fault codes so you may not be getting th full picture. Wherebound are you based?

Cheers for all the replies lads. Seems a common enough issue on the E60 with no definitive or varied possible solutions. The car is currently with a friend of mine who is an Indy mechanic but has recently gone in to the breaking business. Said he'd do his best to get to the bottom of it.

However you raise a valid point Waterson as he's only really doing mechanical work for friends and family now and sold a lot of his gear. The extent of his diagnostic equipment is now an OBD reader which is showing no faults. I'm based in South Dublin.

Thanks!

Got sorted. New set of plugs and two new coils.

Brand new hai! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'm hoping mine's as easy a fix :p

Very good.
    Not too bad so.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,856 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice :)

I'm very surprised it didn't throw OBD2 engine fault codes though!

Had rough idle once in my E60 with the same engine and got a few fault codes, amongst which was the code that represented "ignition coil on cylinder 2", which was exactly what the problem was. €30 for a brand new single Bosch coil and a few minutes of DIY and the problem was fixed too :D

Advertisement