Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 channel cctv

Options
  • 21-12-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭

After a recent Breakin on my van I soon realise my existing system isn't up to scratch. What are the best quality systems that are gonna cost crazy money. The best possible picture I'm looking for I guess.
    At present I have cameras and a flouren 8 channel dvr and view these on an old pc flatscreen
    Do I need new hd cameras and box or just a hd box or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Minimum you should be looking at is 1080P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Minimum you should be looking at is 1080P.

I need something that'd pickup a licence plate at night if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Aha...with a CCTV they will come and laugh in front of the camera !

Get a proper alarm for the van,one that has a bright visual indication that is alarmed.
    I have mine with remote pager and sensor for perimeter ... drives me nuts in the morning when wife passes by mine to reach her car.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I need something that'd pickup a licence plate at night if possible.

You need to get a pro out who will design a system to your needs and not someone who will tell you everything you want to hear and install what's handy/cheap for them.

rolion wrote: »
    Aha...with a CCTV they will come and laugh in front of the camera !

Get a proper alarm for the van,one that has a bright visual indication that is alarmed.
    I have mine with remote pager and sensor for perimeter ... drives me nuts in the morning when wife passes by mine to reach her car.

I've an alarm fitting booked for early new year. No parimeter thingy though as I live in an estate and have people waking by every day

• Advertisement

You need to get a pro out who will design a system to your needs and not someone who will tell you everything you want to hear and install what's handy/cheap for them.

I'm fairy competent myself. All I need to to know what equipment to install

I'm fairy competent myself. All I need to to know what equipment to install

But it's not as simple as that. You're looking for something a bit more than average and you really need to know what you're doing to be able to source and install the correct gear.

But it's not as simple as that. You're looking for something a bit more than average and you really need to know what you're doing to be able to source and install the correct gear.

Well maybe I should reword my question. I'm looking for the highest spec diy kit that can be bought

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

DIY kits in this case are not up to the task.
    You get what you pay for in this case.

kub wrote: »
    DIY kits in this case are not up to the task.
    You get what you pay for in this case.

As for going above diy, what's the difference installation wise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Well maybe I should reword my question. I'm looking for the highest spec diy kit that can be bought

Hi,

Sorry for your troubles,been there myself !

Call these guys here and ask for Philip.
    Thats where im buying all my CCTV gear.

Go for the highest resolution camera you can afford.Lot of IR LEDs and capacity of zoom / variable focus,so that you can setup the camera covering your van.
    Get a nice 8 channel DVR that has IP or analog,or maybe an hybrid.
    They have cameras that if fitted in the right location at your home can read licence plates DAYTIME.At night,i advise you to get an IR illuminator,that will flod with light your area ,making things easier to see and distinguish.Thats the model i have in the font of the house.

Get the cable that has audo/video and power on the same wire.
    You will need crimping tools,as well.

Keep in your mind that even if you cant get the plate,only by having their faces/body may help you get them when you contact the Garda.
    I have installed the system more to detter than to protect.Possibe,to attract the bad guys too...

Also,data privacy/protecion if you live in a public estate.
    My neighbour raised voice when i was installing my front shark camera BUT caled me when its car got scratched. Of course,told that i dont cover that arse !

Recently,i snapshot a guy that parked his car and taken photos of my front house.Called theGada with the licence plates,been told the number does not match the model and case closed.

Not lastly,there is a smart thing called PSA,where you can't install CCTVs unless you pay a fee every year.
    I am sure that does not apply to personal,private.hoem users ! Thats how the "pro" guys catch you ! :)

Either way, enjoy it, have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

rolion wrote:
    Not lastly,there is a smart thing called PSA,where you can't install CCTVs unless you pay a fee every year. I am sure that does not apply to personal,private.hoem users ! Thats how the "pro" guys catch you !

Would you mind expanding on your statement please with regard to 'pro guys catching you'?

With regard to PSA, there is nothing stopping anyone fitting a DIY security system for themselves, the law kicks in when they do it for someone else and get payed for doing it, both the installer and client are liable to be prosecuted.

Advertisement