Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo XC90 head gasket

Options
  • 18-12-2016 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone any idea on how big a job price wise is a head gasket on a 2004 volvo xc90.

Love the car, I dont want the insurance to right it off. It's acting up after a knock. Keeps running low on coolant and spitting coolant out. Someone told me could be head gasket.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

First make absolutely sure it is the head gasket.
    It is something people like to say when they don't know what is wrong.

Where does it spit coolant from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

It defo is the head gasket. Got conformation. Anyone know what price it will be to get fixed ? Ball park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jerome77 wrote: »
    It defo is the head gasket. Got conformation. Anyone know what price it will be to get fixed ? Ball park ?

I'd ask whether its diesel or petrol but they're both big, complex engines. Expect around 700 with a good indy to facilitate things like head skimming/testing and all that.
    Don't scrap it if everything else is good, they're a nice car.

Diesel automatic. Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Very unusual for a head gasket to go on an xc90.
    Never seen one in my time in Volvo.
    I'd get a second opinion.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »

Thinking that myself but it apparently got a "knock", so I'm guessing rad rupture and it ran out of coolant, or something afterwards.

That was a second opinion, I had a small crash (knock) the right wing got damaged a small bit, at the scene there was a bit of coolant leaking. Next few days coolant kept emptying . End result head gasket gone ? (So I am told ) Does this make sense ?

That was a second opinion, I had a small crash (knock) the right wing got damaged a small bit, at the scene there was a bit of coolant leaking. Next few days coolant kept emptying . End result head gasket gone ? (So I am told ) Does this make sense ?

Hang on now, did they explain what test they carried out?

Hang on now, did they explain what test they carried out?

No.they did not..it is an insurance alligned garage

No.they did not..it is an insurance alligned garage

Hmmmm... I'd get a full explanation - they are a tough engine but the toughest won't survive coolant loss for long.
    See if they fixed the leak (Rad rupture? Broken pipe?) and with no coolant leaking, what they did to determine head gasket failure.
    Exhaust bubbles coming up in the coolant reservoir is the most obvious and common giveaway. (which can't be determined with coolant gone away..)
    Or engine oil that's turned to mayonnaise.
    Or coolant that's turned the same way.

I'd start poking about tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A crash won't do in a head gasket..Unless it was a substantial impact.
    Im 99.99999% sure that it's NOT the head gasket gone.

I'd suspect that it's either the thermostat housing (made of plastic) or one of the coolant pipes that was damaged in the crash.

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate the comments. I will report back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

A crash won't do in a head gasket..Unless it was a substantial impact.
    Im 99.99999% sure that it's NOT the head gasket gone.

I'd suspect that it's either the thermostat housing (made of plastic) or one of the coolant pipes that was damaged in the crash.

It will very quickly if the rad is damaged and any significant amount of coolant comes out as a result :)

The second opinion garage pressure tested it . Can I ask does this add up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

If the head gasket is gone, either a) coolant will get into the combustion chamber or b) exhaust pressure will go into the coolant system or c) exhaust out the side of the engine.

If a compression check came back good and they also did a pressure check on the coolant system with no leak, it's not a head gasket.

mullingar wrote: »
    If the head gasket is gone, either a) coolant will get into the combustion chamber or b) exhaust pressure will go into the coolant system or c) exhaust out the side of the engine.

If a compression check came back good and they also did a pressure check on the coolant system with no leak, it's not a head gasket.

The guy said he pressure tested it and also the coolant is bubbling ? In his opinion head gasket is gone

The guy said he pressure tested it and also the coolant is bubbling ? In his opinion head gasket is gone

Assuming he pressurised the cylinders (unconventional, but surefire nonetheless) and bubbles showed up in the reservoir then it is indeed a case where the head gasket has failed.
    Lousy :(

It just doesn't make sense that a small "knock" has done the head gasket in.

We need more info..Was the car driven after the crash with no coolant in it??Thats the only explanation that would make any sense.

As I said earlier..in 7 years working in Volvo I never ever saw a head gasket go in an xc90.

It just doesn't make sense that a small "knock" has done the head gasket in.

We need more info..Was the car driven after the crash with no coolant in it??Thats the only explanation that would make any sense.

As I said earlier..in 7 years working in Volvo I never ever saw a head gasket go in an xc90.

I don't think so either, which is why I just assumed the "small knock" was the variable in this particular equation and rolled with that :D

I'd be almost positive the car was driven without coolant accidentally, and that the bubbles showing up now are the unfortunate result.

Does anyone know is it costly to get head gasket replaced / fixed.

It seems it ran out of coolant after crash

• Advertisement

I'd ask whether its diesel or petrol but they're both big, complex engines. Expect around 700 with a good indy to facilitate things like head skimming/testing and all that.
    Don't scrap it if everything else is good, they're a nice car.

Someone provided a rough price already.

"It seems it ran out of coolant after crash" were you driving it? Did the engine get hot? Any warning on dash etc etc etc? Temp gauge rise above half way??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Ring a main dealer and ask. They should give you a price on the job over the phone.

Advertisement