Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail hacked.

Options
  • 17-12-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I just found out that my Gmail account has been hacked. I tried to access it on my phone and I got a message saying that my account had been disabled. I tried it on my PC and got the same message but managed to reactivate it with a secondary e-mail account.
    The recently used devices option shows that it's been accessed in Buncrana County Donegal, the USA and Nairobi, Kenya in the past 24 hours. Needless to say I have been to none of these locations. The Buncrana location has an IP address of 86.40.169.206. Is there any way of tracing this IP address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Probably somebody with an eir DSL line
    C:\Users\admin>ping -a 86.40.169.206

Pinging 86-40-169-206-dynamic.agg7.bua.bge-rtd.eircom.net [86.40.169.206] with 3
    2 bytes of data:
    Reply from 86.40.169.206: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=54
    Reply from 86.40.169.206: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=54
    Reply from 86.40.169.206: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=54
    Reply from 86.40.169.206: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 86.40.169.206:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 55ms, Maximum = 84ms, Average = 65ms

C:\Users\admin>

But you'd need the guards to ask eir for more details AFAIK, and I doubt they'd be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Stiletto72

Thanks Bonzo.
    I know somebody in Eir so I may ask to see if they can assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    Thanks Bonzo.
    I know somebody in Eir so I may ask to see if they can assist.

eir won't be able to help you directly for data protection and other legal reasons.

Presumably you have changed your password. If not DO SO NOW.

Next turn on Two Step Verification and use Google Authenticator App on a smart phone as the second factor (SMS messages are not as secure as the App).

If no fraud or criminal activity has occurred as a result of your account being compromised, then I doubt the guards will be too bothered by it.

eir won't be able to help you directly for data protection and other legal reasons.

Presumably you have changed your password. If not DO SO NOW.

Next turn on Two Step Verification and use Google Authenticator App on a smart phone as the second factor (SMS messages are not as secure as the App).

If no fraud or criminal activity has occurred as a result of your account being compromised, then I doubt the guards will be too bothered by it.

Yes, password changed and I set up two step verification. I've taken the opportunity to change every password for every application, just in case.
    Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    Yes, password changed and I set up two step verification. I've taken the opportunity to change every password for every application, just in case.
    Thanks for your response.

That's good. I wish others would be as thorough. ;)

• Advertisement

That's good. I wish others would be as thorough. ;)

Cheers.
    I'm actually quite annoyed at this. I've very careful with passwords and run checks on my home PC every day or two. Rotten little scrotes.

Advertisement