Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on electric van

Options
  • 07-12-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

What is the VRT on an electric VAN ( Kangoo ZE ) imported by a company

What would be the commercial road tax

What would be the road tax if used for some personal driving!

thanks in advance ! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VRT should be free.
    Motor tax is €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

kceire wrote: »
    VRT should be free.
    Motor tax is €120.

Phew! on the VRT

Is that €120 commercial road tax
    or
    "commercial road tax with personal use based on legacy 2007 road tax rates" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Commercial motor tax has a flat rate of €333 afaik. €120 suggest it is a private rate but open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Make sure the battery isn't owned by Renault.

Well it turns out the VRT is €200

so now lets see what the road tax will be

• Advertisement

€92 if it's under 1500kg unladen. 333 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Well it turns out the VRT is €200

so now lets see what the road tax will be
    Is that an Admin Fee rather than a VRT figure ?

edit; had a quick look at the VRT guide and Cat A and B electric vehicles are only subject to a certain amount of relief rather than an exemption
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

That's the commercial vehicle vrt rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

It's €333 Tax. I had one for a few months. They are practically useless. I have no idea if you've done your research, but I can't see what sort of business they would be good for..

when I bought a new golf van the road tax form sent was for "commercial with some private use"

funnily enough this is based on legacy 2007 rates (by engine size) which means the road tax was 530 euro instead of the commercial rate euro 330

The former could be done by post immediately, the commercial required a visit to the CoCo in person during work hours

It will be interesting to what form they send this time. Also what was the road tax rate for pure electric back in 2007 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

spyderski wrote: »
    It's €333 Tax. I had one for a few months. They are practically useless. I have no idea if you've done your research, but I can't see what sort of business they would be good for..

There's a new Kangoo Z.E. coming out next month with 60% more range and optional rapid charging.

The rapid charging is the key there. I didn't have a huge problem with the range per se, it was the fact that it took 7+ hours to recharge. It was a pity, 'cos it was great otherwise. Depending on how fast the new one charges, I'd definitely consider one for the business...

Also the €200 commercial VRT is reduced to zero by the EV credit.

Tax is €92/year. Unladen weight is 1410kg, and the new one is likely to be 10-20kg heavier.

It's also possible to use Accelerated Capital Allowances to reduce your tax bill by depreciating the van entirely in year 1.

The new ZE is launching without rapid charging but I'm told it will get a rapid charging option around March/April timeframe.
    No info on whether rapid charging will be 50kW CCS (should yield 0-80% charging in 20-25 minutes), 43kW AC (0-80% charging in 25-30 minutes) or 22kW AC (0-80% charging in 50-60 minutes).
    But usually when rapid charging is mentioned it means 40kW+. Renault is due to use CCS on all vehicles from 2019 at the latest so they may start with the Kangoo.

Tax was €333 on the one I had. How come this has changed? The 1 year capital write-off is another bonus for electric vans..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What price are they to buy here on the road? Can they carry much weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mooooo wrote: »
    What price are they to buy here on the road? Can they carry much weight?

Not sure I ever got a price on a Kangoo, but the eNV200 was about €25k when I priced it for a customer.

Didn't bother with the Renault as you have to lease the battery from Renault and if we are leasing the vehicle to a customer, what happens with the battery lease when it comes back off lease? Do we have to keep paying it until the vehicle is sold and the new owner takes on the lease? What happens if the person who wants to buy the van doesn't want the battery lease? These unanswered questions mean that the current forecasted sale value is pretty much zero.

The Kangoo is similar money to the eNV200.

The whole battery lease thing is being made optional now.
    It never really made any sense.

Payload on them was 650kg apparently.

Excuse the bump.

Renault launched the Kangoo ZE 33 today.
    270km NEDC (200km in the real world with a load and the heater on) up from 170km NEDC
    7kW AC charging (up from 3.3)
    new motor based on the R75/90 used in the renault Zoe

Renault also launched the Master Z.E van to compete with the new electric VW e-Crafter coming later this year. Though neither really has a enough battery capacity for my taste. Both are in the mid-30kWh range, by comparison Opel's new Ampera-e being sold in Norway & Germany from next month has almost double the battery capacity and that's just a hatchback/crossover not carrying up to 2 tons of cargo.

Will MAN be selling an electric version of their Crafter?

An electric minibus might be an interesting version, airport shuttle or something

• Advertisement

No idea. I do know that both Renault and Volkswagen are using LG Chem for the battery and the new cells will be in short supply until LG's new plant in Poland gets up and running this Autumn.

Volkswagen will probably restrict the e-Crafter to fleet sales until the production volumes get up and for the same reason possibly only panel vans.

The Volkswagen PR material is targeting urban delivery services and the like.
    Payload just over 1700kg.

Advertisement