Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite FF player ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Shaun Maloney for Wigan from about late March for a few of those great escapes. Almost a guarantee of points for a low, low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,010 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gareth Bale as a defender.

Sweet baby Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

SlickRic wrote: »

Sweet baby Jesus.

Yeah but playing for a Spurs that conceded every week and he had lukaku-esque levels of unreliability. You could rely on him to let you down when you needed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

SlickRic wrote: »

Sweet baby Jesus.

Didn't win a game for nearly 30 appearances !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Tore Andre Flo 1999/2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Clint Dempsey in my first campaign about six years ago. He scored again and again, even getting a hat-trick, yet the masses were slow to get him in. He was the main reason for my highest ever finish of about 7,100

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Van der Vaart. That first season with Spurs as soon as he joined I called that he was going straight into my team much to the amusement of many of my friends. But by Christ he delivered when I needed him to most throughout the season and when I gave him the armband. He'll always hold a special place in my heart for that reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yakubu for Blackburn in 11/12 was pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Benito Carbone. I doubt many of you have ever even heard of him but he was a stocky Inter Milan forward who joined Sheffield Wednesday mid 90s and was one of the first oop midfielders in fantasy football when it was done through newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Benito Carbone. I doubt many of you have ever even heard of him but he was a stocky Inter Milan forward who joined Sheffield Wednesday mid 90s and was one of the first oop midfielders in fantasy football when it was done through newspapers.

The age of posters in this forum is a lot higher than you would imagine. There is a fair few of us in and around 40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Dempsey
    Van der Vaart
    Harte
    Dixon
    Winterburn
    Le Tissier
    Shearer
    Vidic
    Lampard
    RVP
    Tevez
    Bale
    Kun

And of course, John Ruddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Jermain Defoe without a shadow of a doubt. Always good for a goal, I had his as captain the week he scored 5 goals. He has a special place in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The age of posters in this forum is a lot higher than you would imagine. There is a fair few of us in and around 40.
    I was also noticing the "youth" with more recent players. I already posted about Irwin, Unsworth and Kanchelskis. Haven't seen many posted from mid-90's until Dearg81 posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I was also noticing the "youth" with more recent players. I already posted about Irwin, Unsworth and Kanchelskis. Haven't seen many posted from mid-90's until Dearg81 posted above.

Unsworth is a greath shout, great goal scoring defender along with Matty Elliott who someone else mentioned. I also liked to pick the Forest wingers Steve Stone and Ian Woan back when Collymore was upfront for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Dearg81 wrote:
    I also liked to pick the Forest wingers Steve Stone and Ian Woan back when Collymore was upfront for them.

Don't forget Stuart Pearce on penalties. FF gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

No that you mention defenders on penos, Leighton Baines on penos and direct free kicks. I had a man crush on him for quite a while for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4 flemob

Muzzy Izzet, that Leicester team had a few ff greats but muzzy is the one I instantly thought of when I saw this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Henry without a doubt. Rarely even had to decide whether or not to make him captain, he was always captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mikel Arteta was gold for a couple of years too at Everton. I remember having to read up on Everton injuries because he would play attacking midfield if all midfielders were healthy but if a defensive midfielder was out they would move him back and you were unlikely to get a good return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

On thinking about it more my favourite moments have always been bringing in players like Kolarov and Taarabt so I'll add them to my list of favs.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Just had to start a thread to express my undying man love for siggy
    He just always delivers

So is there any player in particular that fantasy football has made ye develop an irrational soft spot for in real life ?
    For me I just love owning siggy. ANY excuse and I get him in :)

2 weeks later
    :D

I'd actually be afraid of what I'd do if I met him in real life :D
    I have a fantasy football man crush on him

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Does anyone know what the highest weekly fantasy score is for an individual?

Highest I can remember is Jermaine Defoe scoring 5 for Spurs v Wigan in 2009 which was 30 points but has anyone topped that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Qwerty27 wrote:
    Highest I can remember is Jermaine Defoe scoring 5 for Spurs v Wigan in 2009 which was 30 points but has anyone topped that?!

5 goals =20 points
    Gametime= 2 points
    3 BPs = 3

Max Defoe could have got there was 25. Same as Aguero last year against Newcastle.

Id imagine that has been topped in double gameweeks. Suarez maybe?

Benoit Assou Ekotto got a monster score for Spurs in DGW a few years back.

I'm sure someone has exact figures for highest scorers in gameweeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I think Lampard got 28 points when he scored four goals and got an assist against Aston Villa in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Dahlia Panicky Syringe

I jumped on the McClean bandwagon very quickly in his breakout season with Sunderland - nothing major but a great haul for a cheap player that freed up funds elsewhere.

Aaaaannnnnnndddddddd siggy is back in my team getting me points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Left field one for me would be Carlton Cole from around 2009.

It was around the time where the game was very boring - you had to have Gerrard, Lampard, Ronaldo and then Liverpool Chelsea United defenders. I think Anelka was about the only striker doing anything of note.

Everyone who was half decent at the game had teams were very very similar, and teams that had a lot of expensive big hitters, so cheap differentials were very important. I remember Cole was one that I had that others didn't that was pretty consistent.

Luckily the game is far more interesting now than it was back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

shineon23 wrote: »
    5 goals =20 points
    Gametime= 2 points
    3 BPs = 3

Max Defoe could have got there was 25. Same as Aguero last year against Newcastle.

Id imagine that has been topped in double gameweeks. Suarez maybe?

Benoit Assou Ekotto got a monster score for Spurs in DGW a few years back.

I'm sure someone has exact figures for highest scorers in gameweeks.

Aguero got 26 points in a dgw last year
    3 against Chelsea for 12 pts
    1 against Newcastle for 4 pts
    2 playing points and 3 bps in both games

Triple captained him that week for 78 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Been playing since 2001 or so. My top 3

Easily my fav player ever is Henry, you just couldn't not have him in your team. I once transferred him out when it looked like he was injured then took him back in for a -4 in the same week before the saturday and he went and scored a hat trick

Second place goes to Aguero - just a machine when on a run of form and starts

Third goes to Robert Pires - classed as midfielder but scored like a striker and was undroppable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Eden Dzeko- First ever captain and he scored 4. Create and start my team on gw 3. Was at least a 100 ponts behind nearly everyone in the league. That haul with some other players got me right in the mix straight away, ended up 4th in my first season in a league of 22 with two gws against.

Luis Suarez- Eternal captain choice. One of my least stress-full seasons. Think I had him captain for at least 30 games. Was unstoppable.

Sadio Mane/ Giroud- Last season I had won my work league every year and I find myself losing by nearly 70 points with a bout 4 gws to go. I'm getting the banter pretty bad from the guy on top who has led since gw1.

I transfer in Mane and the gw later he gets a hat trick ( I think) it was about 20 points. I close the gap. One gw left and I am about 20 points behind. I transfer and captain Giroud for the last day of the season V Villa. He scores a hat trick and I win the league by 12 points.

Advertisement