Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on selecting a smart home alarm

Options
  • 15-11-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I've just renovated a house and had it wired for an alarm system. Now that I'm in, I'm keen to get the alarm system sorted.

I'm an amateur tech junkie and like the idea of installing smart products where practical/affordable, so for example I have used Nest thermostats. However, from much research amongst the standard alarm providers in Dublin, it seems most use older tech, or clunky smart tech.

Whilst I'm not looking to DIY my alarm, it's been useful looking through the posts here to get a understanding of where things are at with alarms, and I was wondering if you guys would have any advice for me -

In short, my requirements:

Must:
    Use alarm wiring already installed to avoid battery replacements etc.
    Be controllable by a highly usable app that uses an industry standard for smart tech/IOT
    Be able to view which windows/windows are closed/open in the app so I can check if Veluxes are closed etc if I run out the door without thinking!
    Be a system and installer approved by the home insurance companies

Desirable:
    Have the option to be monitored centrally (though I'm not sure it's worth the extra insurance cost, one someone is in, I doubt the cops would be there in time)
    Have the option to monitor directly via app if I install a camera down the line
    App links with ITTT and Nest etc

One company I have come across, Action24, seem to use a popular app platform called Alarm.com, does anyone have any knowledge of them or the system?

Any thoughts or links much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Alarm.com system you will be tied to & won't have all the access you require.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC4320 or 5320 will do everything you are looking for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

KoolKid wrote: »
    The Alarm.com system you will be tied to & won't have all the access you require.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC4320 or 5320 will do everything you are looking for there.

Would the 4220 also?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

KoolKid wrote:
    The Alarm.com system you will be tied to & won't have all the access you require. Siemens Vanderbilt SPC4320 or 5320 will do everything you are looking for there.

IFTTT on the Siemens panel?
    It's not listed yet if it is

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Arbie wrote: »
    Would the 4220 also?

The 4220 will not have IP Lan port.
    Sorry Stoner, your correct, but the panel is more accessible than any other I know of in that you have a number of different ways to connect into it. The serial port and browser are not locked down like other panels. There's also the ebus and fast programmer port that could be manipulated in many ways by anyone up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

KoolKid wrote: »

Hey,

Im in a similar scenario to the OP - I have a house which is wired for an alarm. Based on limited research I think the only kit I need to install is the panel and a keypad to get up and running? Anything else I am overlooking? Also, are there any recommendations for places to buy the kit?

Thanks,

• Advertisement

When you say wired do you mean there is an existing system there with existing detection devices.
    If so probably all you need is anA Siemens 4320 panel & keypad to get you up and running.

Advertisement