Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 1 | The Day Will Come [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

P.S. Anyone notice one of Negan's men taking the obligatory polaroids to hang up on the wall? :pac: That scene where Glenn saw the polaroid collection was as good as confirmation that it would be him.

Yeah bit of a dark humour moment with the group completely broken and shattered in the forefront and a guy in background taking a photo as if he is on holidays looking at a tourist attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Holy ****. Wow.

As everyone has said, that was a tough watch.

I was losing my temper when they kept skipping around who it was at the start of the episode... Then when Abraham met Lucille, it felt like such an expected cop-out. I may have called the writers pussies at this point for taking the easy option.

But then when Negan cracked Glenn, my jaw dropped. I think I actually muttered "no way" in disbelief. The eye pop, the brain damaged babbling... And then the scene with Carl's arm.

I criticise the show a lot, but they got it absolutely on the money this time. Superb episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ, those spoiler guys got it all bang on, sadly, right to the "dinner dream" sequence scene. Must be an inside leak which is pathetic.
    Still, knowing it all, it was still brilliant, and in a way, albeit still p1ssed with the way they finished last season, it worked very well as a standalone episode. Perhaps they could've killed Abraham in the finale and then we had the twisted twist with him deciding to kill Glenn as well.

Obviously they have to curtail the swearing (I think they are allowed only one or two "f**ks" on some Primetime tv shows, post 10pm they have a bit more lee way) Sh1t is only now becoming more commonplace.
    And I couldn't be listening to fe*K, far too Fr. Jack!

The gruesomness of the bloodied Abe and Glenn was almost on point with the comic's depiction of Glenn, fair play. Maybe a small shot of Glenns head post beating would've been appreciated to really hit the scene home.

Wasn't too enamoured with the "trip sequence". It just felt a bit, "lets heighten the action a bit". I guess it worked to show how f**ked up Ricks mind is right now.

Corrrall's calmness was just a bit too overdone. Didn't translate on screen as well as in nthe comics. I know he is hardened in his mindset and courage but to barely flinch seemed a bit unnatural.

Not sure what else you can say. I imagine knowing what happened for a while now probably has me in a different mentality than most right now!

I was thinking there may be some sort of flashback scene or two of Glenn's life pre virus finally but I'm glad there wasn't. We didn't really need any answers to how he became who he is as he is, in essence, just the normal uncomplicated guy of the series. Can't imagine there would be need for any depiction of "who he was before".

All in all, in the top 10 (maybe even 5) episodes of the series so far.

Its going to be an epic season. They also haven't made Neagan as cartoonish as I feared they may, his various reactions, humour, mindgames and playacting weren't over the top to make it silly season.

That Dwight really is a c u next Tuesday. Again, they have done a good job depicting him.

So p1ssed I had an early morning and couldn't stay up! But the Spanish subtitles on the Youtube video didn't bother me too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

I know what Rick main item will be when he is scavenging is toothpaste and teeth whitening products to make Negan look so pretty. Haven't seen such white teeth in a long time. They must have a good dentist where he comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So far as a villain, i like Negan, but he's no Governor.

Gruesome episode visually but not much happened in reality.
    Glen and Abraham beaten to death by Negan.
    Flashbacks.
    Rick's group dominated and absorbed by Negan's.
    Daryl held hostage by Negan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Indie18 wrote: »
    I gave an 8, thought it was very good but some disappointments, mainly the lack of Negan's potty mouth ha.

I was kind of hoping Negan would take Ricks hand too,

Loving Jeffrey Dean Morgan, can't wait to see more of Negan, I feel there could be a clear out of a lot of minor characters this season to and hopefully a couple more big one's to make way for some new ones.

American TV is weird. You can show a guy getting his skull caved in with a bat and the aftermath where his eye is hanging out of his head but you can't say "Fúck" or I presume "dick/cock" judging by Abraham's "Suck my nuts." line.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

J. Marston wrote: »
    American TV is weird. You can show a guy getting his skull caved in with a bat and the aftermath where his eye is hanging out of his head but you can't say "Fúck" or I presume "dick/cock" judging by Abraham's "Suck my nuts." line.

Does seem quite silly alright, but I've long sine stopped trying to figure out the Americans ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gotta say if he show had any balls they would kill of daryl dixon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Why?

Plenty of story left for Daryl, losing Glenn is a massive blow for a lot of the fans, I think they lessened the shock factor a little by having Abraham meet Lucille first (she is a dirty girl) but Glenn was a big part of the show and a fan favourite. No need to kill Daryl just for the sake of it ala G RR Martin.

I felt Abrahams arc had ended really, he was a safe enough one to take out, Glenn has a wife, love, a baby on the way etc and he has always been the everyman of the show, he retained most of his humanity and he has been brutally murdered. I don't think they will have any trouble bumping off Daryl when he runs out of road.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

ricero wrote: »
    Gotta say if he show had any balls they would kill of daryl dixon

Why? They killed off 2 main characters that the audience were very attached to in fairness. Definitely not a cop out. And the aftermath of both their deaths will have big impact on fellow characters just as much really. Especially Glenn. Maggie as a character was stuck in a rut with her relationship with Glenn of late so her future stories will be a lot more interesting. Likewise Rosita and Sash and even Abraham.

Killing off Daryll for the sake of it would obviously have a huge impact for a while but the dynamics of Glenn and even Abraham departing would be bigger in long run with Maggie pregnant for example and her character going a new direction.

Daryll has so much more to offer than Glenn so balancing pros and cons, as well as allowing the show to progress in similar fashion to the comics, they made correct choice in my view.

Glenn has been there the whole way and Abe has been a big presence of late so it's not as if they are "cop out" killings at all.

But Glenn''s time has kind of come now and there is so much more Daryll can give.

Also Daryll is the shows most popular character, the amount of obsessive Daryll fans are huge so I'm sure on the balance of things losing him would have frustrated a large segment of the viewers!

• Advertisement

Why?

Plenty of story left for Daryl, losing Glenn is a massive blow for a lot of the fans, I think they lessened the shock factor a little by having Abraham meet Lucille first (she is a dirty girl) but Glenn was a big part of the show and a fan favourite. No need to kill Daryl just for the sake of it ala G RR Martin.

I felt Abrahams arc had ended really, he was a safe enough one to take out, Glenn has a wife, love, a baby on the way etc and he has always been the everyman of the show, he retained most of his humanity and he has been brutally murdered. I don't think they will have any trouble bumping off Daryl when he runs out of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It was a good episode but I'm still annoyed at their cop out from leaving this as a cliff hanger. The finale was tense and should have had a kill shown at the end to leave you stone cold until it returned. Leaving it for people to wait and see was just stupid. I know it was to keep people talking and try get a ratings winner for season 7 but they need to stop that nonsense.

Ideally they would have shown Abraham get a battering in the finale and cut to black. Then do the rest of what they did here in this episode when fans would think that may have been the only kill. The showrunners said the episode would open with whoever getting killed while we waited between seasons but I knew they'd cop out on that. You'd swear they feared that fans would see who got killed and then switch off. There was no need to cut forward and flashback, it didn't create better drama or tension. It was like one more middle finger raised to the audience saying "we're gonna keep you waiting just a little bit longer".

Carl was a bit too bravado after seeing all that unfold. I can't imagine anyone, let alone Caaaaarrrruhll, being ready to man up against Negan right then and there. Why couldn't they have him in tears at least as he told Rick to cut off his arm. This show could have some way better dramatic moments if they knew how to do it right.

The deaths were suitably disturbing and a welcome change to the usual zombie bashing. The Negan/Rick journey was a bit hit/miss. What was Rick doing jumping to the hanging zombie? How did Rick not get bitten on the feet/lower legs as he dangled there or as he climbed the Winnebago?

Still, it was a good episode but marred for me still by how they set things up with how they left it last season. The showrunners need to look at Game of Thrones, not every season needs to leave you hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Just rewatching it again and noticed michonne doesn't move at all during the first death. I'm thinking that she was too afraid of negans orders to his men would be carried out and she wanted to save carl.
    Thought it was a fantastic episode and for me it made up for the ending last season. Andrew Lincoln gave a fantastic performance, his sobbing when
    Negan ordered him to cut off carls arm or everyone would die
    really made that scene.
    looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Gave it a 10 but only because I couldn't find the 19.
    I was almost in shock from how brutal they were going. I have read all the comics and know the score but seeing it with live actors, I don't think I was really so ready as I thought I was.

Why? They killed off 2 main characters that the audience were very attached to in fairness. Definitely not a cop out. And the aftermath of both their deaths will have big impact on fellow characters just as much really. Especially Glenn. Maggie as a character was stuck in a rut with her relationship with Glenn of late so her future stories will be a lot more interesting. Likewise Rosita and Sash and even Abraham.

Killing off Daryll for the sake of it would obviously have a huge impact for a while but the dynamics of Glenn and even Abraham departing would be bigger in long run with Maggie pregnant for example and her character going a new direction.

Daryll has so much more to offer than Glenn so balancing pros and cons, as well as allowing the show to progress in similar fashion to the comics, they made correct choice in my view.

Glenn has been there the whole way and Abe has been a big presence of late so it's not as if they are "cop out" killings at all.

But Glenn''s time has kind of come now and there is so much more Daryll can give.

Also Daryll is the shows most popular character, the amount of obsessive Daryll fans are huge so I'm sure on the balance of things losing him would have frustrated a large segment of the viewers!

Sorry, meant Eugene!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That was a bit of a holy shítballs episode. I thought for a few mins they had copped out on the Glenn thing when Abraham was ruined first. They just decided to delay his death by a short while from how it happened in the comics. I really enjoyed how it played out anyhow. It was certainly a bit different from the comics, but it was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

DakarVert wrote: »
    Back in Alexandria with Carol I think.

Gave this a 10, Suck my nuts!

Breakdown of Rick was very well down, Set up nicely for the season now.

Could have sworn she was with that group in the final ep of series 6.....must be wrong

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Where was the baby throughout all this or have I missed/forgotten something from the end of the last series

Fr Gabriel was handed the baby by Rick before he left to mind her while he and Carl and the rest went.

Carol and Morgan were rescued by Ezekiel's men (in the armoured gear) in the finale after Carol got shot and brought to their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why?

I love Daryl but I feel like his character has been pretty stagnant the past couple of seasons. I hope they do something different with him this season, otherwise he might as well go

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I love Daryl but I feel like his character has been pretty stagnant the past couple of seasons. I hope they do something different with him this season, otherwise he might as well go

ha, well he is in a back of a van being brought to a psychopath's lair by an army! I expect there will be a lot of interesting Daryll stuff this season!

In fairness, no one character really stood out last season. Obviously Rick, Carol and Morgan were the "big personalities" but it was more about laying the foundation for whats to come. It had some great moments but a pretty average season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

That was unbelievably tense and tough to watch. gave it an 8

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

So far as a villain, i like Negan, but he's no Governor.

Are you speaking from the point of view of the comic books or the TV show? I've only started reading the comics. Because as far as the TV shows, in just one episode Negan has made the Governor look like a pony.

This is my opinion of course.

Apparently they decided on the would be victims two years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Are you speaking from the point of view of the comic books or the TV show? I've only started reading the comics. Because as far as the TV shows, in just one episode Negan has made the Governor look like a pony.

This is my opinion of course.
    In the comics Negan has been far and away my favorite villain. That will come across in the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I felt it lacked something hence why I gave it a 7 maybe it was the tension from the amazing season finale was gone and they couldn't recapture it ,They should have done in Abraham at the end of the last season and then picked up after that

The violence was amazingly real and the whole Rick stumbling around a **** load of zombies was just bizzare and unneeded for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

daryl got glenn killed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

daryl got glenn killed
    Actually, was Rosita as she didn't look at the bat and Daryl got pissed off and smacked Negan. Had Rosita just looked at the bat would have all been good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ha, well he is in a back of a van being brought to a psychopath's lair by an army! I expect there will be a lot of interesting Daryll stuff this season!

In fairness, no one character really stood out last season. Obviously Rick, Carol and Morgan were the "big personalities" but it was more about laying the foundation for whats to come. It had some great moments but a pretty average season.

I don't know, all his character development happened in the first few seasons. The stuff with Merle and him evolving to be a part of the group and then ricks right hand man. His relationship with Carole. All that stuff is what made him a fan favourite. After Beth died it's like the writers just gave up on him. He's in the background a lot of the time. Hopefully we will see some interesting stuff this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

ceadaoin. wrote: »

You don't think he had any progression the last couple of seasons? Fair enough, I would disagree obviously but its subjective so won't try to sway you.

His story could be potentially very interesting this season, the dynamic between himself and Negan, himself and Dwight particularly, and even him and Steven. He is going to be tried out for a job in the Saviours I would imagine and will play a pretty big role in the storyline I feel going forward, so many possibilities, whether his loyalty will be tested etc

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I look forward to the day Negan and his right hand man get killed by the group!

Advertisement