Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit borders

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

moloner4 wrote: »
    How would this work say: Farmer A lives in the South, but half his farm is on the north side of the border while the other half is on the south. How would a border work with half way through the land?

It won't work but he'll get a lot of offers from smugglers.

I suppose he'll have to carry his passport with him when he goes out in his tractor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

How would this work say: Farmer A lives in the South, but half his farm is on the north side of the border while the other half is on the south. How would a border work with half way through the land?

I remember reading a story about a south Armagh PIRA man don't know how accurate i was but, it might have been about Slab Murphy or someone like that, who had half their house in the north & half in the south. The front door was in the south & the back door was in the north. When the Gardai would come looking for him to question him about something he'd just walk out the back door & when the RUC came looking for him he would walk out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,285 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There are plenty of instances where the border cuts through farmland along the border and houses and out buildings and farmyards. And plenty of farmers have parcels of land on both sides.
    I am hearing anecdotally that land is changing hands in the south as wealthier unionist farmers organise their own 'special treatment' if Arlene Foster fails to deliver it for them.
    Investing in a bit of the republic is not a problem when it comes to subsidies it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I remember reading a story about a south Armagh PIRA man don't know how accurate i was but, it might have been about Slab Murphy or someone like that, who had half their house in the north & half in the south. The front door was in the south & the back door was in the north. When the Gardai would come looking for him to question him about something he'd just walk out the back door & when the RUC came looking for him he would walk out the front.

Heard that also, but one day both arrived at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'd be interested in where he pays taxes too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd be interested in where he pays taxes too.

What taxes - he's a farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And how did that work out in the end?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Since it would be an EU customs border exactly the same ways as every where else - it depends on where the farmhouse is located and in the event of it being located on the actual border, where the front door is. Failing that an agreement between the customs officers. This is not a new problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I suppose he'll have to carry his passport with him when he goes out in his tractor...

No, probably your passport identity card. You are required to carry it in other parts of the EU, so probably here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

And how did that work out in the end?

No idea to be honest, I remember reading it in a article written by someone like Myers or Cusack that indo crowd years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Since it would be an EU customs border exactly the same ways as every where else - it depends on where the farmhouse is located and in the event of it being located on the actual border, where the front door is. Failing that an agreement between the customs officers. This is not a new problem.

And there have been much more complicated examples before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No idea to be honest, I remember reading it in a article written by someone like Myers or Cusack that indo crowd years ago.
    It didn't work out well, is I think the point Fred is delicately hinting at. The person you're thinking of with a farm that straddles the Armagh./Louth border is indeed Slab Murphy. He's currently serving a custodial sentence for tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In fairness if you have six counties partitioned frkm a small island you're going to have ridiculous issues like that. I also think that the border isn't going to be as big a problem as the North's economy post Brexit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

steddyeddy wrote: »
    In fairness if you have six counties partitioned frkm a small island you're going to have ridiculous issues like that. I also think that the border isn't going to be as big a problem as the North's economy post Brexit.

It is unlikely that a UK government of any hue is going to continue to fund NI to the extent the the combined subvention of the EU and UK currently give. Therefore NI will suffer, probably severely. The consequences of that can only be imagined, and a movement for some relief will begin to enter the local politics up there.

Advertisement