Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mitchelsontour

After missing the cut last week Seamus has had a strong start to the Byron Nelson with a -6 to be currently tied 3rd.

Leader Munoz is at -12 after a 60 which included a bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Great first round from Seamus after the missed cut mentioned above. Take the once in a lifetime round from Munoz out of it and Power is in a great spot. Munoz won’t do that again and a couple of 67s or 66s and he’ll be hard caught but someone else will put a few low rounds together so hopefully it’s Seamus that does it. This tournament was the catalyst for him last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,996 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw he was t3 at -6, thought excellent he'll be at most 2 off the lead so, great start.

Nah, 6 off...that bogey will annoy Munoz

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Scoring is electric so far, need another good day to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Crazy scoring - cut currently predicted to be -5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭OEP

He's 1st SG putting and 140 SG off the tee - quite the contrast!

4 under on the last 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭coillcam

I was looking at that after Round 2 and wondering why he wasn't higher. I saw his highlights after. They had videos of 3 birdie putts dropping and the shortest was 20 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Nice eagle to finish last night, he needed that to have a decent score, with the average score being 4 under. Hopefully he can post a low number tonight and edge towards a top ten finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

T17 and up to 23rd in the FedEx rankings. Think there's only a handful of non-winners this year ahead of him. Very consistent good performances from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭blue note

And he dropped in the world rankings. It's some rise in standings for him to drop down the world rankings after finishing T17 in a full PGA event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭coillcam

I don't know a huge amount about the rankings/points, only that it's averaged over X number of events but it's not that simple. Would it be that in order to rise further he needs a win or a few top 10s in bigger events with a stacked field (major or big event on pga tour)?

Saw Sam Horsfield take a big jump to 60 odd from outside the top 100 with his win this weekend. Surely must be looking at trying to jump to PGA tour in the near future.

Think he's jumping to the Saudi league!

Edit: Just in case there's a misinterpretation, I'm talking about Sam Horsfield, mentioned in the previous post. Sorry, just dawned on me you could easily not realise and think I was talking about Seamus.

Post edited by blue note on

In this case KH Lee, who won, has moved ahead of him. Another for Seamus is that his divisor is increasing with each event, thus lowering his average points. And then yes, he needs better finishes to rise further - top 10s probably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

OWGR not quite as important as the Fed Ex points for now I would say, bar staying in the top 50, main focus is being in the top 30 and qualifying for the tour championship and all the riches that come with it.

Ranking gets him into the majors, but pretty much guaranteed to be in all of them this season now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭abff

He’s definitely in both of this year’s remaining majors as the cut off point for qualifying from the OWGR is next week for both tournaments, with the top 60 getting into the US Open and the top 50 into the Open Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Where did you hear that? It would be an interesting one for him. He's not your typical mid-30s PGA pro in the sense that he has only really cracked the big time money recently.

If he's looking at it from a potential point of view of having 5-7 more peak peak years, the massive money could be a real draw. I think he could be forgiven for having a different perspective on it to others who are long since financially secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

From a strictly financial point of view, it would make good sense for him. He could really clean up if he was one of the few in-form peak players to sign-up.

It's not as if the PGA Tour would shed any tears if he was to lose his card again in the future like he has in the past.

It's going to get pretty murky though going forward with all the litigation regarding non-contracted status and pension rights and what-not.

I was talking about Sam Horsfield moving to the Saudi league by the way - responding to the previous post. In case anyone thought I was talking about Seamus.

I'm pretty sure I saw his name listed in an article of Brits playing in it, along with McDowall. Sure all will be revealed in the next couple of weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haha it’s funny how different people are when it’s Seamus Power (not him as confirmed above) compared to a Lee Westwood who got the dogs abuse

If someone in powers position did decide to defect, it would be far more acceptable than the pre champions toir guys. He's probably not set up for life financially, especially with the costs associated with staying on tour. There's no guarantees with golf and while I don't think it'll happen, he could drop down the rankings outside of the top 250 again.

What I'd judge him for though is working his entire life to compete at the top level and then deciding to opt out for money. Whereas the likes of Westwood and poulter have already competed at that level for years. They don't have that challenge left. But in their case they're already set up for life. This is just so they can afford god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No no no. You cannot be making excuses for people like Seamus Power saying it's acceptable for him trying to set himself up financially etc.

It's the principle of it that's key.

'Ah ya, what's going on is horrible, but Seamus is trying to make a living, so that trumps it;

'Ah ya, what's going on is horrible, and it's disgusting that Poulter/Westwood would support this when it's purely out of greed'

Can't have it both ways.

I would definitely judge Seamus if he jumped ship now, because currently he is in the big bucks on the PGA Tour and making millions. I would be less judgmental of players who have not already made a lot of money, and are currently low in the rankings and not making money - after all people need to earn a living.

I don't agree that it's purely on the principle of it being Saudi money, it's that people who are already incredibly wealthy are seeking to make more from Saudi money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭abff

I don’t think you can completely ignore the amount of money that someone has already earned when deciding how much criticism they should get for jumping ship. Yes, there’s a principle involved, but you have to accept that professional golfers are professionals and it’s only the elite few that can afford to ignore the financial side of things.

Of course, there are a lot more golfers now who are set up financially for life than would have been the case 20 years ago, or even 10 or 5 years ago. Personally, I don’t like the proposed new league and I hope it fails miserably. But it’s not fair to tar everyone who decides to join it with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Draw for the PGA Championship

10th tee start.

1:58 p.m. – Russell Knox, Seamus Power, Scott Stallings

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/2022-pga-championship-tee-times-and-pairings-rounds-1-and-2-southern-hills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭boardise

Seamus needs to tidy up the putting pronto . 2 shorties missed in first holes. ..4 1/2 and 5 ft.

Even a level par first round would have him well in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Solid enough start at one over. Same again should get him in to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

-1 today. Safely through to the weekend on level par.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Neewollah

Great 2 days from Seamus. Fingers crossed for a push towards the top 10 over the weekend.

Advertisement