Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alone in Cork

Options
  • 05-10-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello guys,

I'm a belgian girl in Cork for three months.I know it seems short, but at the same time, it's quite long. So here I am straight from my little country, trying to find ways to keep busy, meet people, discuss of well... Pretty much everything!

And I don't know where to start. What would your advices be? What would you do if you'd arrived in a new city, knowing no one?

I'm not too bad at small talks, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I have to say it's very weird to be far away from family and friends...

So, any ideas are welcome. I'm not much of a sport fan, and I'm not really rich either :)

So how would you do to meet new people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Hi Sophie deP

Welcome to Cork. A good way to meet people and to explore your surroundings without much expense would be to join one of the hiking groups. The Cork Hillwalkers http://corkhillwalkers.com/ have a couple of hikes coming up which are open to non-members. You could check out their site for details. They also have a social meet-up once a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Go on meetup.ie or installe the meetup app on your phone. You can join various interest groups on there and theres lots of people in the same siutation as yourself who meet up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Get up and go

Sophie deP wrote: »
    Hello guys,

I'm a belgian girl in Cork for three months.I know it seems short, but at the same time, it's quite long. So here I am straight from my little country, trying to find ways to keep busy, meet people, discuss of well... Pretty much everything!

And I don't know where to start. What would your advices be? What would you do if you'd arrived in a new city, knowing no one?

I'm not too bad at small talks, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I have to say it's very weird to be far away from family and friends...

So, any ideas are welcome. I'm not much of a sport fan, and I'm not really rich either :)

So how would you do to meet new people?

You could also try Meet up.com. Loads of different social groups on there. Enjoy your stay in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Sophie, try meetup.com, there are a few cork groups where people meet for drinks or other activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Ha meet up.com is it?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Have you considered trying meetup.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

farmerjj wrote: »
    Ha meet up.com is it?!!

Uhhhhh, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

I've been in Cork for 6 months. I've made a "few" friends. I know how hard it can be.

Pm me and id be happy to show you around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

There's a Belgian shop on North main street,might have some Belgian people working /hanging around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I was only thinking about the Belgian shop! It's really cool, definitely worth calling in to see if you are feeling home sick.

You don't sound like you are a student here but it might be worth getting in touch with some of the societies in the university or one of the colleges. They're normally very welcoming.

There are more than likely quite a few Belgians living in Cork - a lot working for Apple, Voxpro and other tech companies I would think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

are you from Flanders, and any good at cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Sign-up for a night class.
    Maybe the Alliance Francaise has a social programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Gamb!t wrote: »
    There's a Belgian shop on North main street,might have some Belgian people working /hanging around there.

Wherabouts is this shop exactly? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Sign-up for a night class.
    Maybe the Alliance Francaise has a social programme.

That's assuming she's a Walloon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Im not sure if its already been mentioned but you could try meetup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wherabouts is this shop exactly? Never heard of it.
    Couple of doors down from the hardware store which is across from the Old Dunnes shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Bienvenue/Hallo

I'm sorry I'm late to the replies but I haven't logged on in a few days.

Its a pity im not living in Cork at the moment as I found myself in a similar situation when I moved home from Belgium a few years ago.

I'm hoping you are French speaking if you are this is good.
    There is a Cork French Language Swap every Monday evening in Electric bar, 41 South Mall, Real nice and the people you meet are lovely. Basically, it is Engish and French speaking people meeting for a coffee or a glass of wine and a chat. I loved it, you can find them on Twitter and Facebook, Oliver is the guy who organises it, you can just arrive and you will be welcomed, Its a great way to meet friends.
    Enjoy your time in Cork its a fantastic place to stay for a short while and try to get out to the city to see and do different things.
    Enjoy

Advertisement