Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car windows wipers not working

Options
  • 25-09-2016 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Driving a 2010 Nissan Qashqai in the rain today, windows wipers all of a sudden stop working, heard a slight bang sound just as it happened.. Pulled over turned the engine off and back on, wipers dead so any ideas what would cause that and cost to remedy it. Can't drive it knowing that if it rains I can't see out the windscreen!
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Check the fuse first.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

Same thing happens on our Qashqai from time to time. I'll bet your indicators don't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Subacio wrote: »
    Same thing happens on our Qashqai from time to time. I'll bet your indicators don't work either.

I just checked the indicators and they are fine,

Check the fuse first.

Thanks for the tip, but i honestly haven't a clue about the fuse and what exactly I would be looking out for, I reckon I will have to leave it in with the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

The lever mechanism that attachs to the wiper arms could have snapped. getting it welded would be the best option as a new LM would be costly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Linkages on these are supposed to be shoite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Linkages on these are supposed to be shoite

So are the motors.

Local dealer will have them on the shelf. They're expensive enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might be wrong, but think the linkages are €360+vat or something crazy.
    Her dad has a garage and we were only talking about Qashqai wiper linkages last week when he was doing another one!

Wonder if there's a repair kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have a 2010 Nissan and the wipers are covered under their Gold Standard warranty . I think its only for first 12 months after purchase though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

You can buy arms on eBay.

• Advertisement

We have a 2010 Nissan and the wipers are covered under their Gold Standard warranty . I think its only for first 12 months after purchase though .

I think I have it sorted, brought it to a garage they told me and showed me a part that is actually broken on the wiper mechanism from below the wiper itself, mechanic reckons it can be repaired, so he removed the wipers from the car to be repaired so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

handiest way to check if a linkage is broken is to see if you can physically move the wiper arms individually by hand. If you can fairly easily the linkage is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, when OP says there was a bang it sounds as if linkage snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Any update on the outcome taylor3, curiosity and all that.....

Any update on the outcome taylor3, curiosity and all that.....

Yeah the lever mechanism was broken but the garage just repaired it by welding it. Fine since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Left wiper on father's Citreon C5 is only moving an inch or so up when wipers are turned on, right wiper is working fine. There are two separate motors on the C5 . Would this mean that the left motor has to be replaced or does the fact that there is some wiper movement mean there could be something else wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start by opening the bonnet and look/listen at the linkage when wipers are operating. Is there any odd noises?
    Try moving the wipers when they are resting (be gentle) - will one move a little but the other will not?

Advertisement