Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3/4 days in Cork

Options
  • 16-09-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

planning to head down to Cork in early November for 3/4 days. Trying to decide where to stay. A friend of mine recommended Kinsale. Would this be a good place to base myself? I will have a car so no problem getting around. I have never been to Cork but told its lovely along the coast. Any other areas to visit? I am travelling with my girlfriend and we are interested in walking/cycling scenery and some nice pubs and food in the evening. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

planning to head down to Cork in early November for 3/4 days. Trying to decide where to stay. A friend of mine recommended Kinsale. Would this be a good place to base myself? I will have a car so no problem getting around. I have never been to Cork but told its lovely along the coast. Any other areas to visit? I am travelling with my girlfriend and we are interested in walking/cycling scenery and some nice pubs and food in the evening. Thanks.

Kinsale is smashing all year round.

Go to the bulman pub. Beautiful. After dark with the candles and the fire. It's magic.

If with your girlfriend, a night or two in inchydoney lodge would be a winner. That's Clonakilty so more west Cork.

Bantry is a bit further afield but would be a great base to explore the further reaches of west Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

+1 on Kinsale. Lots of good things to do and see on http://kinsale.ie

If staying in Kinsale then stay in the town itself and not on outskirts so you can go out, have dinner and a few drinks and walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Thanks for the input I have booked 3 nights in Kinsale. Now to plan what to do when I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

You should look up some geocaches there are some lovely ones around Cork, especially is ye are into cycling and what not. There is one in Kinsale by James Fort which is a loverly walk to get to...

There is a lovely woods also if ye bring bikes by Watergrasshill worth a visit bring wellies to get into the muckier side of the woods
    If ye take a trip down by Lismore call to the waterford gates in lismore woods. A great walk again and worth it too see all the folie towers, there is a nice spot for a picnic here too. Not many tables but if tis dry there is a big grass area, a nice waterfall if you go through the bushes, sounds bad there but there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Sounds good. We like cycling but we have road bikes not mountain bikes. Would there be places in Kindle to rent bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Sounds good. We like cycling but we have road bikes not mountain bikes. Would there be places in Kindle to rent bikes?

Kinsale is excellent for road cycling. There are great roads and loops once you cross the Bandon River and head out towards the Old Head and www.Kinsale.ie has some routes mapped out at http://www.kinsale.ie/2015/03/22/cycling-in-kinsale/

If you want to rent bikes then your options are Miley Murphy on Pearse Street (less than €20 per day) or Wild Atlantic Sports who have really nice mountain bikes http://www.wildatlanticsports.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep as above there is someplace. If ye are in Cork City ye can rent the coca cola bikes to get around a see more.. If you go down by the marina and down Centre Part or Monaghan road to Blackrock Castle tis a nice spin

Advertisement