Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding planning in Cork

Options
  • 11-09-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are planning a very small civil ceremony for the coming months. We would like it to be held in a hotel in Cork on a Thursday with a meal and possibly some entertainment after. In total there would be about 20 attending so we are looking for suggestions on how to make it work and on venues that might suit our needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

The Orangery in the Maryborough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The tower room in the Celtic Ross is nice. Only drawback is their isn't a bar but if bringing wine that wouldn't matter. They take table orders and bring it up to you but you can be waiting.

http://www.celticrosshotel.com/special-occasions-dining-cork.html

In clonakilty Dunmore house and Fern Hill hotels have smaller function rooms as well as their larger ones.

Theres the county cricket club by the mardyke outside caterers though.

http://www.corkcountycricketclub.com/function-room-for-hire/

Havent been but I think Hayfield manner have a small room too probably very expensive/

Perhaps look at the likes of Soho, the Electric, Blackrock castle etc.

I probably wouldn't mention its for a wedding when booking anywhere as suddenly prices may go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ace101010

Thank you Colonel McCoy and Balmed Out we will check them all out. Good advice on the mentioning it is for a wedding, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I was the photographer at a small wedding in Ballymaloe this year. Beautiful setting, great food and great space for a small wedding party.

I also shot one at the cricket club. It's a much bigger space though and 20 people might feel a bit lost in it.

Blackrock castle (as suggested above) would be cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Some places you could just have a ceremony and a party would be like the Clarion or the Imperial in the city, or a restaurant like the Cornstore have done weddings before if you have the ceremony elsewhere. Don't know what part of the county you're in but loads of hotels in other towns outside Cork offer civil ceremonies in the hotel..

Triskel Christchurch, Cork City Gaol or Cork Vision centre for the ceremony - elsewhere for the afterparty

Orangery at the Maryborough
    Radisson Little Island
    The Kingsley
    Carrigaline Court Hotel

Springfort Hall, Mallow, Charleville Park Hotel

West Cork
    Gougane Barra Hotel (bit dated but lovely site)
    Innishannon House Hotel
    Celtic Ross
    Actons/the Trident/the Carlton in Kinsale
    Dunmore House/Inchydoney/Fernhill House outside Clonakilty
    Rectory Glandore
    Maritime Hotel Bantry/Bantry House

East Cork
    Fota Golf Clubhouse is smaller than the main resort
    Garryvoe Hotel, Ballymaloe (the House or the Grainstore) or Castlemartyr in East Cork (these would be more expensive options)

I've been to almost all of the above, if you want any more info on them. There are also others you might try like Blarney or Liss Ard Estate.

I have also been to a wedding at the Cricket Club and don't know if it'd be great with 20 people, similarly Barnabrow House or Ballinacurra House, whilst cool venues mightn't suit those numbers. Don't know if you want to involve outside catering like with Blackwater Castle or Inis Beg, makes a lot of work when you probably wouldn't have to splash out too much to feed 20 people, I'd be more inclined to go for a hotel or restaurant.

Google options for Christmas Parties or Corporate Events in Cork or something and you'll see what's on offer for groups of 20 in the coming months. Then you'll still get an idea of what's on offer for groups of that size and see what venues spring to mind outside of weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Orangery in the maryborough is a bit big for twenty people I'd say. That takes about 100. You'd rattle around in there.

Think about penthouse suites maybe. The penthouse in the clarion, or in the imperial are both suitable for those numbers and they do host those kinds of events there.

Try Flemings as well.

And definetely DO mention it's for a wedding, as you get much better service when it's a wedding rather than a birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ace101010

thanks a million everyone for ye're suggestions. We are working our way down through the list. At the moment we are favoring Fernhill House Hotel because of the very nice reception we got when we visited and their fabulous gardens but we haven't finished looking yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Ace101010 wrote: »
    thanks a million everyone for ye're suggestions. We are working our way down through the list. At the moment we are favoring Fernhill House Hotel because of the very nice reception we got when we visited and their fabulous gardens but we haven't finished looking yet.

One of my faves (as in... would consider it for my own based on one experience!). Enjoy the planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

I attended a wedding in Triskel Christchurch and it was just fab. Stunning venue with amazing acoustics. For afters it totally depends on budget and how far from the city you wish to be. Carrigaline Court is a handy short distance from the city http://www.carrigcourt.com/ also the orangery in the Maryborough is just lovely http://www.maryborough.com/

For house type venues Barnabrow House or Ballyvolane House are both stunning venues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ace101010 wrote: »

They are very good and family run too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

I would recommend either of the two Clonakilty options mentioned. If it was summer time, I would be veering towards Dunmore House but if it's in the coming months, the seaside location and views won't account for as much.

Advertisement