Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 11-08-2016 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am planning on moving to Cork in December this year from Auckland, New Zealand with my husband and Toddler.
    I work in IT so will most likely be working in the city and my husband is a truck driver so somewhere near the port.

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom house in the commuter towns around Cork. I am happy to drive or drive to the train station to commute. I would like my journey to be no more than 45 minutes or 20km to City centre in normal rush hours traffic.

Can anyone recommend an area of Cork that is family friendly, close enough to Shopping centre/Supermarkets, Daycare and general a nice area to live. I would ideally like to spend no more than 1000 euro in rent a month for a decent 3 bed home.

I have been looking at daft but am unsure of the area's I need to be looking and what traffic is like during rush hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fireybabey wrote: »
    I am planning on moving to Cork in December this year from Auckland, New Zealand with my husband and Toddler.
    I work in IT so will most likely be working in the city and my husband is a truck driver so somewhere near the port.

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom house in the commuter towns around Cork. I am happy to drive or drive to the train station to commute. I would like my journey to be no more than 45 minutes or 20km to City centre in normal rush hours traffic.

Can anyone recommend an area of Cork that is family friendly, close enough to Shopping centre/Supermarkets, Daycare and general a nice area to live. I would ideally like to spend no more than 1000 euro in rent a month for a decent 3 bed home.

I have been looking at daft but am unsure of the area's I need to be looking and what traffic is like during rush hour.

Blarney, very near to the city and Blackpool. With light traffic you could be in to the city in 20 minutes but in the morning with traffic give yourself a half an hour to 40 minutes. Blackpool is 10 minutes drive away where there is a shopping centre, Aldi, cinema.

Blarney is a lovely place to live and family friendly, 2 primary schools and a secondary school. Nice walkways aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could also go east to Midleton. On the N25 so dual carriageway all the way to the city.

EDIT: Only noticed you say husband was truck driver. If he's going to be doing overseas then a lot of traffic would be from Rosslare. This is another plus for being east.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Carrigaline, Douglas, Grange, Frankfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

This post has been deleted.

this is very true, you would need to know where you will be based before a decent location could be given.
    another thing to think about is living just outside the commuter towns, €1000pm wont get you much in the better areas to live but some of the villages only a few mins drive from these towns it would get you a really nice house.
    take for example, Ballincollig, its a big commuter town, full of shops, restaurants and supermarkets and ticks all the boxes for a lot of people but you wont get much in a 3 bed unless you jump upto €1250/1300pm. even then its tough to get the house you like as there is a lack of decent rentals on the market so it brings fierce competition.
    move out about 5-10mins drive from there and you have loads of small friendly villages that would have 3 beds for around the €1000pm.
    they would only have the basic shops and schools but are also very close for your weekly shops and nights out.
    middleton, carrigaline and to an extent blarney would be similar.

im living just over 10mins out from ballincollig myself, more because i prefer rural living than anything but cost was another factor. it seems miles out if you look at a map but its less than 30 mins from the city and the same from mahon point(where a lot of jobs are) if i dont hit traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cobh or Midleton are good choices.
    Both on the rail line, both with great amenities for families. Midleton prices may be a bit more expensive but its a great shopping town and has all the usual stuff like great schools, great sports and is family friendly. Having lived in both towns I feel Cobh to be more family friendly with a little bit more to do for younger kids. Cobh does lack a cinema which Midelton has for teenagers etc but Cobh has a great youth club and sport set up. Midleton has a great selection of restaurants but Cobh is not far behind but tends to concentrate on mid range food style whereas Midleton has some real top class eateries. Midleton is a 40 min drive to city in rush hour but its that bit further away from the port and pharma industry if thats important

You will get a 3 bed for 950/1000 in Cobh e.g. http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-rent/cobh/24-oak-drive-rushbrooke-links-cobh-cork-1666915/
    Cobh has Golf, Rugby, soccer, a swimming pool, water sports and of course a great GAA set up. Its a vibrant tourist town during high season with 50+ cruise liners calling each year.
    Good schools and childcare also. Shopping has all the essentials e.g. 3 supermarkets, hardware store, pet shop in the one area and basic small town shops on the main street. Lots to do and see in the area with nice safe walks and even some stoney beaches!
    Traffic is average with journey time to city 40 mins in rush hour driving and 30 mins on a good day.
    Train is a great service and you can stop in Fota wildlife park too! The train stops in Cobh, Rushbrook and Carrigaloe so you will be close to at least 1 station if you base yourself within the Cobh town enviorns

large pharma industry and the port (Ringaskiddy) is within cycling distance (via Car Ferry) easy access to the western side of county Cork also via the car ferry if you need to go that direction for work.

Its also a nice drive home from the city after a hard days work and it has a feel of a small town rather than the rush and hassle of a big city suburb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ballintemple is a loverly area to live in you are close to everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Hey op,
    housing is in real short supply,prices are being increased seems like weekly..
    get the house sorted asap

does the company have houses? can they source or help source ? if your moving for work and have being headhunted put the weight on them..

your lifestyle depends on place to live , are u a hippy type ? eco friendly community? creative ? then west cork tell us about you and that might help suggestions

if your hubby is a driver has he the info on changing licences? email companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Snaffles1

Rush hour traffic to the north and east of the city is a disaster, west is your best option and its on the main national road to Kerry so it moves well. I live in the Macroom area because rents are sometimes half the price of other places and its within 30 mins of the city and 15 mins from ballincollig. We rent a 4bed on 1acre for 800/month. That would be my two cents worth, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fireybabey

Thanks Everyone this has been so helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

Thanks Everyone this has been so helpful.

hi,

Did you finally moved to Co.Cor9.
    Can you point out some good / bad sides of the area?
    We are thinking to relocate from Dublin to Cork...but we can't decide where ☺

Advertisement