Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Cork

Options
  • 28-07-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm in Cork for a couple of days soon and am trying to decide between two trips - Camden Fort or Spike Island. We have two boys (8 and 6). Has anyone been to both and which would they recommend?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

spudulike wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm in Cork for a couple of days soon and am trying to decide between two trips - Camden Fort or Spike Island. We have two boys (8 and 6). Has anyone been to both and which would they recommend?

Cheers.
    I've been to both with our lads 8 and 4. Camden is definitely more interesting and there is a great tea room there. The tunnels and batteries are very cool and they had nice displays in the rooms.
    Spike is great if you like long walks. Most of the buildings are (were? it's over a year since we went) inaccessible but it is nice to walk around the parade yard and around the island itself. The ferry trip over is part of the experience as well. If I had to pick one though I would probably go for Camden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bungaro79

big difference in price too. adult price for the ferry to spike is €18 (does include a tour but very pricey imo) where as camden is €5. i spike last year with my class for an orienteering day and i must say it was fantastic but i wouldn't pay the full price to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Camden is a good afternoon out for sure. It's a lot cheaper too.
    However if you have never been to Spike the family ticket for 45 is worth the money. Boat trip is good and the guided tour is also great. 8 and 6 year olds would love it. I am just not sure a return to Spike at that price is worth it. They would be far better off offering a boat trip and guided tour and current price and the option to just get the boat over to have a picnic at half the price. They are really limiting the market at current price.
    There is also loads more to do in Cobh than Crosshaven. So if you only spend a half day in Spike and the other half in Cobh it would be a better day out.
    There is the Titanic experience, Cobh Road train tour, heritage centre and if there is a large liner in port it's an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Went to spike last Monday with my 8 & 6 ye old.
    We had a fabulous day, really enjoyable.
    I'd highly recommend it.
    Kids have said a trip to Cobh again next year is a must do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ScottScott

Wow, I'd like to visit Spyke Island one day!
    Sometimes when you are in a place for a while, don't give sufficient consideration the places near you!
    Now it's in my bucket list ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement