Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

(cant) download attachments from Hotmail

Options
  • 24-07-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

On a Lumia 625

If I forward mail to a non Hotmail webmail account then can download same

Guess its some setting to protect me from myself (good plan) , but can I change it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is only happening when you forward attachments?

Are you forwarding to other people and they cant open them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks for your reply.

Does this clarify the issue ? :

1. If an email with an attachment is sent to the hotmail account the 625 cant open the attachment

2. If I forward the email in 1. above from the hotmail account to another webmail account ( e.g. an eircom.net a/c ) and then access that account thru the 625 I can download the attachement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is it happening with all file types, pictures etc?

When you try to open the attachment, do you get an error?

Have you tried using the browser over the in built email application

Sorry for the reply delay

I'm not using the built in email app here.

Have tried .WAV, .TXT, .PDF, .JPEG attachments. They all produce the same result.

FWIW A Long push on the attachment name produces the options :

- Open in New Tab
    - Copy Link
    - Share Link

'Open in New Tab' options starts a new tab with the hotmail account in it & does not open the attachment

Cant help thinking its something to do with a Hotmail config option but cant see where this could be tweaked.

Any Suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Is your phone still running Windows Phone 8.1 and you're using IE to access your email?

• Advertisement

theothernt wrote: »
    Is your phone still running Windows Phone 8.1 and you're using IE to access your email?

yes (Denim) and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The browser can only handle a limited number of attachment types (more are supported on Windows 10 mobile). If it doesn't support a file type you'll get the message...

"Can't download file. Windows Phone doesn't support this file type"

If the file does download properly, you should be able to find it with the Files app...

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2014/05/30/introducing-files-a-file-management-app-for-windows-phone-8-1/

theothernt wrote: »
    The browser can only handle a limited number of attachment types (more are supported on Windows 10 mobile). If it doesn't support a file type you'll get the message...

"Can't download file. Windows Phone doesn't support this file type"

If the file does download properly, you should be able to find it with the Files app...

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2014/05/30/introducing-files-a-file-management-app-for-windows-phone-8-1/

Interesting.

Thanks to your post I can now describe the issue in another way :

'never given opportunity to download attachment from Hotmail when accessing using IE browser'

As I can download the same attachments from an eircom webmail a/c is it fair to say problem is probablly not IE ?

Advertisement