Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Can't warm to Jane at all, can't quite put my finger on it but for me she's a bit like Ian last year. Selasi is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I forgot about Vals' speech at the end of the last episode:
    When you bake, you always bake for a reason. And you’re giving it to people, so you make it the best you can. And you make it with love.

And whenever make anything, I stir love into it, I knead love into it, so when I present it, it’s special.

Buzzfeed link

Aw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I forgot about Vals' speech at the end of the last episode:

Buzzfeed link

Aw!

It's so sweet. Made me want to rewatch Nadiya's amazing winning speech.

Did anyone else LOL at Paul calling Mary 'Bezza' the other night? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Selasi is so helpful - anyone else noticed that when he's finished first, he always helps someone who's struggling, whereas others sit back and watch or sit looking at their creation? He seems like a good guy, in a very unassuming way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

:eek: I really hope this is not true. She is awful. I watched the first couple of episodes of creme de la creme and stopped watching because of her. She was beyond nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Rachel Khoo would be a great judge I think, but she's also with BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I love her. She's not on the telly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Was there no extra slice on last night? Sat down to watch it and nothing recorded 😞

• Advertisement

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Was there no extra slice on last night? Sat down to watch it and nothing recorded 😞

It was definitely on, I had it set to record too and it worked. I really enjoyed it: Val was great, Michel Roux Jr was there, and the lovely lady who won it in 2014, Nancy.

Ah here now.....now they are saying that Geri Horner is going to host it!!!! What next. Sorry cant post links its on the DM website :confused:

dee_mc wrote: »
    It was definitely on, I had it set to record too and it worked. I really enjoyed it: Val was great, Michel Roux Jr was there, and the lovely lady who won it in 2014, Nancy.

Ah damn, must of been my horizon box so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Ah damn, must of been my horizon box so

No I have Sky and it didn't record. :( It didn't tape Great British Menu either. It must have been something about cookery programme last night. :p

No I have Sky and it didn't record. :( It didn't tape Great British Menu either. It must have been something about cookery programme last night. :p

I've just checked the TV guide for yesterday, there was an Ulster match on, GBM was on at 9.30, no extra slice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I've just checked the TV guide for yesterday, there was an Ulster match on, GBM was on at 9.30, no extra slice

Twas on bbc2 HD... So depends which channel you record it from HD or NI...

ahlookit wrote: »
    Twas on bbc2 HD... So depends which channel you record it from HD or NI...

Ah I see, switching my recordings to HD so, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Missed it Wednesday so just watched the repeat. Val was the worst over the past few weeks so deserved to go.

Tom will be next, followed by Rav.

As it stands Jane and Candice are well ahead of the others, I think Benjamina will be with them in the final, Andrew will go in the semi. Selasi is failing a bit. I agree that the standard is way lower than the last two years.

As its such a high ratings show you can expect the tabloids to continually say that X,Y and Z are favorites to be the next presenter as it helps them sell papers, we won't know for sure until it's definitely announced by Channel 4. Having said that Gok Wan and Alan Carr would be awful.

We can only wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

I do think the standard is poorer this year than previous years. For a bunch of people who entered a show called the Great British Bake Off with Mary Berry as a judge, a surprising number of them don't seem to know a whole lot about baking standard British classics - at least learn a recipe or two from one of Mary's books! That said, I still do really enjoy the charm of it all and it's just a homely, comforting kind of show. I think the vibe will be very different on C4.

As for the contestants, I think it will be between Jane and Candice, though Bejamina and Andrew are more than capable of making something great on the day. Selasi seems to have fallen back a little bit since the first couple of weeks, but he might find his groove again. Tom's flavours sound absolutely horrendous most of the time and Rav seems to struggle a lot with the basics, so I expect one of those two to be gone next.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Does anyone know what time this usually goes up on the BBC player? I won't be home for the start of it so I think I'll try watch it back later than miss some of it

• Advertisement

Candice looks so different with the nude lipstick!
    I'd love a lemon and lime meringue pie now... but I've got a caramel slice from the bakery so that should keep me going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

stupid me thinking botanicals week was going to be flower based, turns out their using fruit which okay okay i get are technically flowers etc.
    candice has no lipstick on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

She's not my fave (Benjamina FTW!!) but I like sound of Candice's four seasons showstopper. I'm stealing that idea!!:D

Benjamina fell at the last hurdle. She was on track for star baker.

Well done to Tom for recovering but I just can't warm to him.

Elliott S wrote: »
    Benjamina fell at the last hurdle. She was on track for star baker.

Well done to Tom for recovering but I just can't warm to him.

My mam fancies Tom :D
    Andrew dodged a bullet, hope he improves next week.
    I don't have a favourite this year. I don't think anyone stands out as being brilliant at decoration this year either, which is unusual.

Couldnt agree more about Tom. There is just something about him.

As for Candice.......for the love of god would she please stop pouting ...aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yogibear77 wrote: »
    .for the love of god would she please stop pouting

I bet she smokes, or is an ex smoker.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I don't think anyone stands out as being brilliant at decoration this year either, which is unusual.

I thought Selasi's was pretty impressive! Tom's too, begrudgingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Selasis are so impressive because he's so calm I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I find Jane really insincere.

Botanical Week was better than I thought it would be!

Advertisement