Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Strange cloud formation

• 07-07-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭ bogwalrus

Took these around 4pm in macroom, cork. Any idea of the name of this sort of cloud formation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭ Cee-Jay-Cee

Cirrocumulous by the looks of them. Not that rare or strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭ sryanbruen

Yeah they're Cirrocumulus ^

Weather and climate site - https://www.ukandirelandclimate.com/ (advised to view on PC, not optimised for mobile)

Photography site - https://www.sryanbruenphoto.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭ Bongalongherb

Never saw those type of clouds before, they look unusually fragmented. Good pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭ bogwalrus

My pics do not do them justice. Very sharp edges and similar pattern. I imagine it has to do with heat from sun shaping the molecules similar to the way rock formations like giants causeway are formed. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭ Akrasia

I didn't see them myself, but my 90 year old grandmother said to me today that she saw very unusual clouds today, and she pointed at a rattan vase and said it looked like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Meteorite58

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Took these around 4pm in macroom, cork. Any idea of the name of this sort of cloud formation?

Noted myself the fine array of Cirrus yesterday here in Kerry. I suppose all the more noticeable and pleasing after the grey weather of late. What stood out for me here were banks of Floccus and Uncinus . I think the cloud in bogwalrus pics could possibly be classified as Cirrus Intortus.

I enjoy Cirrus and often watch out for iridescence and halo's. Cirrus can often herald approaching bad weather too.

The pic below is an example of a halo ( 22° halo ) i took recently one morning in a thin layer if Cirrostratus .

aHYZbHM.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,549 ✭✭✭✭ RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭ Oneiric 3

bogwalrus wrote: »

Nice shots. Those clouds are a very rare form of Cirrocumulus (Cc) clouds known as 'Cirrocumulus lacunosus' (Cc la) and usually indicates that a sheet of Cc is gradually dissipating.

New Moon

Advertisement