Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleetwood Mac

Options
  • 06-07-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭

Saw them live last year and amazed how good they were and what great songs they have. Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham are legends

As there all seniors and getting on in years now I can't see them performing much longer. Will they bring out a new album ?? (Last new album was released In 2003).

A new album and then a last world tour, greatest hits box set/DVD etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I don't know if they should release another album. Their last one was alright, a few good songs.

Obviously Rumours is a fantastic album and would never be topped. I also love Tusk. I heard it got some bad reviews when it was released originally. The arrangement of the album is a bit mad but some really good stuff on there.

When I was about 16, I bought their greatest hits and the local CD shop didn't always have much stock. It was Golden Discs. So I started getting into Fleetwood mac and I would just buy anything by them that they had in the shop. One day I ended up buying a Peter Green's Fleetwood mac album not knowing anything about the history of the band and thinking it would be typical Stevie/Lindsay sound. Went home and started listening to it thinking wtf is this? :) I was thinking I spent my 15 pound babysitting money on this so I'm definitely listening to it. A couple of songs in and I was thinking, this is amazing!

My favourite is "Oh well" and "The Green Manalishi" :)

Also at first I thought Stevie was the man and Lindsay was the woman.

Lately I've found a song that I hadn't previously heard called "Prove your love". Christine mac Vie is singing it and it was just before Stevie and Lindsay joined, I think. I think Chistine Mac Vie can be quite underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I didint knw there was a male singner in the band and thought Stevie sounds a bit like a dude lol.

There an amazing band, lindsey is one of the all time greats

i was so annoyed last year at the gig when a lot people decided to have a little chat when Stevie and Lindsey done there acoustic set. 'Never going back again' is my favourite song by them although i enjoyed it, it would of been better if the crowd shut up :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

You don't need a new album when you can listen to this over and over. There's also a very good Buckingham Nicks version of Rhiannon somewhere on youtube

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/fleetwood-mac-to-tour-with-neil-finn-mike-campbell-as-lindsey-buckinghams-replacements-1202748185/#article-comments

Lindsey Buckingham has left the band

Not sure id go and see them without him, some classic songs will not sound the same

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

He didn't jump, he was pushed, and he's been replaced by two people: Mike Campbell (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) and Neil Finn (Crowded House).

Not that there's a chance I'll get to see them live - the ticket prices will be eye-watering even for nosebleed seats. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Olishi4 wrote: »
    My favourite is "Oh well" and "The Green Manalishi" :)

The Peter Green era might almost have been a different band, saw him about 20 years ago in Whelans and he was fantastic. Albatross has to be one of my all time favourite numbers. Love some of the later stuff too, but very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For me Buckingham and Nicks pretty much embody Fleetwood Mac - I could live without any or all of the others, but not without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

For me Buckingham and Nicks pretty much embody Fleetwood Mac - I could live without any or all of the others, but not without them.

Ironic as they are neither Fleetwood nor Mac....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Exactly. This is a total dealbreaker. Buckingham is the best thing about them live. He can still play and sing great...big love, never going back again etc.

As much I love Stevie Nicks, her voice is fairly shot.

As much I love Stevie Nicks, her voice is fairly shot.

You're right it isn't great these days unfortunately - but in her prime it was nothing short of amazing.

• Advertisement

So will Neil Finn sing the Buckingham songs (Big Love, Never going back again) or will Mike Campbell

It will be interesting to see how this tour goes

blastman wrote: »
    Ironic as they are neither Fleetwood nor Mac....

True, but lets be honest - they could replace Mick Fleetwood with Mick McCarthy and it wouldn't make much difference:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So will Neil Finn sing the Buckingham songs (Big Love, Never going back again) or will Mike Campbell

It will be interesting to see how this tour goes

Don't recall Campbell ever doing backing vocal for Petty, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never seen FM live, never got round to it.

But if Neil Finn is there now, I won't ever be buying a ticket. Couldn't stand Crowded House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭peejay1986

They've done plenty of gigs without Buckingham and usually the replacements will do some singers, but Stevie takes over a lot of Lindsey's parts.

Absolutely gutted by this. I simply love FM and finally got to see them live a few years ago, minus Christine McVie. It was far and away the best gig I've ever been to and the best live band I've seen. Was a shame that Christine wasn't there as we didn't get to see any of her songs.

I was unable to go a couple of years later when she rejoined and now it seems I missed my last chance to see the 'full' lineup.

I don't know if I'd go to see them without Lindsey. It just wouldn't be the same. One of, if not the, highlight of the gig I seen was Big Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

No-one here seems to know music from the early Fleetwood Mac in the '60s, when it was a British blues-based band led largely by blues guitarist and singer Peter Green. Peter Green was the original founder of Fleetwood Mac and named it after two mates from John Mayal's Bluesbreakers - Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. He wanted them to be in his band. Ironically, initially John McVie did not join so the first bass player was Bob Brunning, who kept the post until John was ready to join!

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac was then joined by fellow guitarist/singers Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan. During that era, they had their first hits such as Oh Well and the instrumental Albatross. Keyboardist Christine Perfect, who was in another blues outfit called Chicken Shack, joined Fleetwood Mac towards the end of the Peter Green era. She married John McVie and became Christine McVie.

During the first-half of the '70s, there were a few lineup changes with the departure of its founder Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan. A key addition to the band was American Bob Welch who steered the Fleetwood Mac music in the direction of that American AOR sound that it would become associated with under Buckingham and Nicks.

So, Mick Fleetwood is the only member who was there from the start, while both he and John McVie are the only members that have been on all their recorded material.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No-one here seems to know music from the early Fleetwood Mac in the '60s, when it was a British blues-based band led largely by blues guitarist and singer Peter Green.

Cough... And on that subject, and excuse for a favourite track.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No-one here seems to know music from the early Fleetwood Mac in the '60s, when it was a British blues-based band led largely by blues guitarist and singer Peter Green. Peter Green was the original founder of Fleetwood Mac and named it after two mates from John Mayal's Bluesbreakers - Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. He wanted them to be in his band. Ironically, initially John McVie did not join so the first bass player was Bob Brunning, who kept the post until John was ready to join!

Don't we? Well I'll be a son of a Green Manalishi! Oh well.....

IMO, Man of the World is FMs best song of any era.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

NIMAN wrote: »

But if Neil Finn is there now, I won't ever be buying a ticket. Couldn't stand Crowded House.

S'grand. You wont hear any Crowded House.

Finn is a great writer though, you should ignore some of hackneyed tracks and check out some of the albums

Finn actually sounds like Buckingham from what I've heard but he's not going to do full justice to some of his songs 'NGBA' 'Big love' etc. It might sound good on the night but it's Tesco value vs branded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,274 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Larbre34 wrote: »
    S'grand. You wont hear any Crowded House.

Finn is a great writer though, you should ignore some of hackneyed tracks and check out some of the albums

I think maybe band should just hang up the instruments when members leave, I hate this bringing in ringers to fill out spots.

Maybe this isn't as bad as Queen touring again. Or INXS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Band announcement on CBS in the States in the morning.

I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would pay money to see "Queen" with Adam Lambert. Might as well save a few quid and go see a pub tribute act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

US tour dates announced running from October up to May next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

Funny that, I'd be the exact opposite. Neil Finn is a legend and is far too good for Fleetwood Mac. What on earth is he thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It won’t be the same without Lindsey! Saw them at the 3arena two years ago and he was out of this world amazing. He might come back yet. Christine also left before and came back. I love Stevie but don’t think I’d like to see them again without Lindsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, forget it without Lindsey Buckingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Lindsey and Stevie both left before and they toured without them, and yeah as much as I adore Christine McVie, the concert was lacking.

Then I saw them a few times without Christine and as brilliant as it was, I missed her.

So the absolute musical highlight of my life, was seeing the 5 of them on stage in 2015.

I don't think I'd go see them again without Lindsey.
    I can't see the point.
    And to replace him with 2 well known guitarists makes no sense.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen them back in 2009. Great gig.
    Was amazing watching him play Big Love live

Has to be one of the greatest solo guitar songs ever. Playing both the bass and rythm on the same guitar, amazing.

I can remember my dad raging at the time though as I think there was 1 big song they didn't play, coulda been "You make loving fun".
    He was pretty disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think maybe band should just hang up the instruments when members leave, I hate this bringing in ringers to fill out spots.

Seemed to work OK for New Order and ACDC

Advertisement