Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Holidays abroad for poor families?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mariaalice wrote: »
    Not everybody in public housing is unemployed the majority would be working and second of all where does the idea that only the unemployed apply for public housing come from.

Well I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the long term unemployed are in free housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

mariaalice wrote: »
    Not everybody in public housing is unemployed the majority would be working and second of all where does the idea that only the unemployed apply for public housing come from.

Have any stats to back that up?

I personally don't know anyone in full time employment who is living in social housing.

Plenty of them doing cash in hand nixxers and living in social housing but none in actual full-time, taxable employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

lawlolawl wrote: »
    I personally don't know anyone in full time employment who is living in social housing. .

It does happen.

Contrary to the impression you may have formed from spending too much time on AH/reading the Daily Mail Unemployment (or even long term illness) is not always a lifelong state of affairs and even Unemployed people may have partners or family members who happen to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

No , Holidays are a luxury item , social welfare should be used only to ensure recipients have the absolute basics to survive not luxury's.

why should Tax payers money be used to send people paying no income tax on holiday ? not to mention the double negative hit on the economy. If these people went on no holiday or holidayed in Ireland because it was all they could afford they are at least investing the dole money they are paid in the local economy , give them a few hundred quid to go off to Spain or Portugal , what return on that do the Irish tax payers see ?

Sorry OP but this is a crazy idea , people on Social Welfare should 100% not get a tax payer funded foreign holiday , if you want luxury's get a job or suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wakka12 wrote: »
    I don't think we all need sun holidays..its a luxury.
    What would be nice would be if there were some holiday towns or resorts in Ireland that were actually enjoyable to visit. Nice cosy squares like in europe, lots of cafes and restaurants with outdoor seating, lots of green areas, and good sport and entertainment amenities, amusement parks, heated outdoor pools ,pretty old looking buildings all in one small town sized area. Theres really nowhere like that in Ireland. Is there any 'tourist' towns in Ireland that say for instance people from Dublin would go on a holiday too?
    Not that I can think of really. In spain,Italy, England and France theres lots of little towns that people from the major cities will visit and enjoy themselves in without travelling abroad. If we had more decent tourist towns to visit then Irish people would feel it less necessary to go abroad on holidays.

And Im not saying we don't have any nice towns in Ireland, (though theres certainly a lack of them) but even the nice towns here such as kenmare,westport,Killarney,Howth etc are quaint and all but theres very little to do in them for tourists in my opinion.

Just read today about Cetre Parcs coming to Longford - sounds good:

http://utv.ie/News/2016/07/27/Permission-granted-for-Longford-holiday-resort-61680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's a nice idea but I also agree that some working people can't afford a hiliday so unless this scheme helps them , I think it's unfair . And we can't afford it as a country .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah why not if it makes peoples dreams come true - thank God there are still some really nice and generous people still in this world :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just read today about Cetre Parcs coming to Longford - sounds good:

http://utv.ie/News/2016/07/27/Permission-granted-for-Longford-holiday-resort-61680

Not cheap in the slightest though - it will probably cost about the same as going abroad (though actual prices remain to be seen).

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-will-longford-s-center-parcs-be-like-when-completed-1.2735864

Advertisement