Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit and Data

Options
  • 24-06-2016 11:59am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a thought on InfoSec and Brexit.

How will the UK's exit affect Irish infosec? We recently had the whole Data Protection issue with EU citizen data getting sent to the US.. well, the UK are now non-EU, will this hit UK services to EU states?

How much of Irish telecomms runs through UK owned/operated systems? Without EU oversight and human rights directives the Investigatory powers bill (snoopers charter) could become a bit more of an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's definitely going to be a PITA for us at least. For a start, we've an office in Belfast, so lots of implications on data stored/transferred between there and the rest of the country.

We'll also have to go through the long and boring process of reviewing all of our third party services and suppliers as we definitely have a few based in the UK.

On a slightly more positive note though, I was at Infosecurity Europe at the start of the month and got talking to a couple of the smaller vendors. When they found out I was based in Dublin, they mentioned that they'll be moving here if Brexit happens.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

In a similar boat to Blowfish. We'll have to review all our vendors and where data is stored. Thankfully none of our servers are in the UK, but some of our vendor's products will need to be checked.

Trust me, I was cursing like a madman here on Friday, as if I needed the extra workload.

I'm hoping they'll go for a second referendum and stay, to save me the hassle, but have to plan and review regardless :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Does anyone really believe that the NSA and GCHQ pay any attention to data protection?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

FSL wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe that the NSA and GCHQ pay any attention to data protection?

1. yes. I do. And I think it is something that they would be very careful to avoid being seen to break and so it is something that they would have to care about quite a lot.

Imho Its not about the NSA and any requirements for tinfoil hats. Its about Data being stored across national boundaries without knowledge of the data owner. Or companies now having to re-evaluate their data processing and storage strategy so as not to breach regulations. Thats the data protection bit.

the GCHQ bit is that while EU laws and rights may have protected Irish data in the past as it traveled along UK operated cables and was processed on UK controlled servers hosted in Ireland , that protection will (may?) no longer apply and if UK law takes precedence then GCHQ may have an absolute right to do what they want with your data. Not to mention the proposed "right to hack" systems on UK networks when gathering evidence. If your company is on a UK owned ISP is it considered being part of a UK network and so are you legally open to hacking by UK law enforcement agencies (and not just GCHQ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement