Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage, not as exciting as years ago

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:
    A cup of tae?

Ah you still get a cuppa in most places

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah you still get a cuppa in most places

Contractor stated to us the other day it's getting further apart the times he gets fed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    Contractor stated to us the other day it's getting further apart the times he gets fed

A recipe for ulcers and diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

To be honest have never missed 1 dinner ever whilst drawing silage.Guy I do it for would under no circumstances miss a dinner or tea.Can assure you that if no call for dinner came by say 2 pm the plug would be pulled,harvester stopped and all load up and off to the nearest ating house for a proper dinner,none of that takeaway sh*te.All bar maybe one or two places give dinner.
    Dinner means a proper one ie spuds meat veg and dessert,no ham sambos.Although you would get quare sick of bacon and cabbage for dinner and ham salad for the tae for 2 or 3 weeks in a row.Nice fry with chips for the tea goes down well on the odd occasion its fired up.
    The quality of the dinner is the one thing any silage crew remember.Nice bit of roast beef with gravy and a tasty fry for the tea makes up for bumpy car roads,bumpy fields,tight yards,stinking tyres full of rat p*ss and pits designed for 40 acres expected to hold 80.

To be honest have never missed 1 dinner ever whilst drawing silage.Guy I do it for would under no circumstances miss a dinner or tea.Can assure you that if no call for dinner came by say 2 pm the plug would be pulled,harvester stopped and all load up and off to the nearest ating house for a proper dinner,none of that takeaway sh*te.All bar maybe one or two places give dinner.
    Dinner means a proper one ie spuds meat veg and dessert,no ham sambos.Although you would get quare sick of bacon and cabbage for dinner and ham salad for the tae for 2 or 3 weeks in a row.Nice fry with chips for the tea goes down well on the odd occasion its fired up.
    The quality of the dinner is the one thing any silage crew remember.Nice bit of roast beef with gravy and a tasty fry for the tea makes up for bumpy car roads,bumpy fields,tight yards,stinking tyres full of rat p*ss and pits designed for 40 acres expected to hold 80.
    I mean to say get fed in a place not fed at all. Seems fewer farmers come out to the field with tae to him recently compared to years before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fewer farms would have someone at home to make a bit of dinner.

Time was when 90% of farmers wives were at home and there was dinner made and tea too.

But even back in the 90's when I was working on farms with Alfa you could see that fewer and fewer farms were feeding lads working abut the place.

Now I'd say it's completly flipped over and 90% of farmers wives are out working somewhere, most farms need the income.

To be honest have never missed 1 dinner ever whilst drawing silage.Guy I do it for would under no circumstances miss a dinner or tea.Can assure you that if no call for dinner came by say 2 pm the plug would be pulled,harvester stopped and all load up and off to the nearest ating house for a proper dinner,none of that takeaway sh*te.All bar maybe one or two places give dinner. Dinner means a proper one ie spuds meat veg and dessert,no ham sambos.Although you would get quare sick of bacon and cabbage for dinner and ham salad for the tae for 2 or 3 weeks in a row.Nice fry with chips for the tea goes down well on the odd occasion its fired up. The quality of the dinner is the one thing any silage crew remember.Nice bit of roast beef with gravy and a tasty fry for the tea makes up for bumpy car roads,bumpy fields,tight yards,stinking tyres full of rat p*ss and pits designed for 40 acres expected to hold 80.

That is the right way to do it. At times a takeaway I would be delighted with and think it's the best feed in the world.

_Brian wrote: »
    Fewer farms would have someone at home to make a bit of dinner.

Time was when 90% of farmers wives were at home and there was dinner made and tea too.

But even back in the 90's when I was working on farms with Alfa you could see that fewer and fewer farms were feeding lads working abut the place.

Now I'd say it's completly flipped over and 90% of farmers wives are out working somewhere, most farms need the income.

True but no one doesn't any work around our place without getting fed. Even if it's a run to the chipper

Reggie. wrote:

For a full on proper dinner, dead right. For a simple cup of tea, you really would want to be a bollicks not to give it to a lad after a hard few hours work. Most lads just insist that they don't want anything when you ask them to come in.

For a full on proper dinner, dead right. For a simple cup of tea, you really would want to be a bollicks not to give it to a lad after a hard few hours work. Most lads just insist that they don't want anything when you ask them to come in.

That's fair enough but I got the impression it's not even offered. Seems some farmers just want ya in and out again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's fair enough but I got the impression it's not even offered. Seems some farmers just want ya in and out again
    If I havent time to cook something, I will get them a roll/sandwich in local shop. That said some lads have their own stuff with them

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Going back 10+ years ago we brought all silage men in for the dinner but in a recent times they get a roll and tea/mineral and seem happy with that. Around here there so busy coming in for dinner Is more of an inconvenience for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Why should a dinner be expected? A builder, plumber, gardener, etc. working on your house wouldn't expect you to feed them. I never really understood lads getting the hump over not getting dinner off customers :confused:

When I was at it it was nice to get but I never expected it off any farm I went to. In the vast majority of cases there was no one there to cook a dinner anyway

Why should a dinner be expected? A builder, plumber, gardener, etc. working on your house wouldn't expect you to feed them. I never really understood lads getting the hump over not getting dinner off customers :confused:

When I was at it it was nice to get but I never expected it off any farm I went to. In the vast majority of cases there was no one there to cook a dinner anyway
    Agreed that alot of time is lost but prefer tae in the field as its nice. Gives ya a break and refuel ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Agreed that alot of time is lost but prefer tae in the field as its nice. Gives ya a break and refuel ya.

More time to talk ****e :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Gave a friend who is a contractor a hand for the week to drawing silage a few weeks back. Before college holidays so drivers were thin on the ground.

105 acres we lifted the first day out split between 2 separate farmers.

Started at 830am , didn't get a trailer under the harvester until 930. Real awkward yard to reverse around including very narrow slab and a lely robot gate thing in the way. Second place was grand. few acres on a long draw but nothing major

Finished up back in the yard at 11pm and that includes we stopped for brekkie and dinner in the first place. Joys of a robot it seems.

Back in 2003 when I was in college I worked with a lad who had a JF900 and we wount lift 35A in a 16 hour day

But back in 1990s on granddads farm. It took 3 days to draw 30A from an outfarm back to the homeplace. About 8/9 mile round trip. Fleet of Ford 4000/5000 and a 7000 the contractors son had. And they had a loader on the pit and a self propelled of some sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You'd want the sandwiches in the cab with you around here if you didn't want to have a fast day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

When we switched to baling it all stopped. With clamp silage you were designated a day and so you knew to get the food in etc. Was only a small scale and didn't take them long, but still got fed afterwards. Big part of the reason was for my dad to get the gossip as he worked away off farm!

Since switching to bales you'd have no idea when they'd come and they get through the field in no time and onto the next guy. More than likely we'd be at work when done. Workers at any job here would at least get offered a lunch (tea and sandwiches etc) - although some outside crews doing building work etc would be bringing their own with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

+1 on that. In olden times they always got the dinner in my fathers time and I continued on the ritual but that was on the pit silage as they loved coming in for the dinner.

but now with all bale silage here and staggered over a couple of months they rarely come in. I often offer to go get them a roll and even that seems to be too much time wasted for them.

I drew for local lad back in the mid 90’s and it was rare not to be brought in for the dinner. Though as someone said above you’d get a bit sick of the salad and then in the odd place you’d get a fry in the evenings and jayus it’d be mighty. 😍😍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

My father loved the threshing days, the kitchen table at home is still in situ. 8 foot long with a firm on each side and seated 12 or more . (The chaps and cottage labourers). The farmers went into the “eatin room” to another table. Another 10 or so. Morning tea, the dinner, afternoon tea and the supper all put up by my grandmother. Wheaten bread, bacon, cabbage and spuds,

The silage crews of the 80,s and early 90,s is where my nostalgia lies. Same feeding regime put up by my mother. Men and male children ate together, all the quare characters around assembled for to battle with crops of shot out late June grass that would have bale counters in a blur nowadays! Drum mowers burnt belts, tractors over heated, men were tough as boots.. leyland 272s rocketed with homemade trailers, ford 8100 bellowed smoke as the jf harvester fought like a lion to chop the tangled mass of heavily fertilised macamore grass generally cropping twice that of the uplands.

but would I go back? **** no.

I like today’s easy life!

• Advertisement
Advertisement