Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pier inland in cork

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm not sure did I imagine it but i thought i heard before about a pier in Cork being left inland after the sea levels feel possibly centuries ago. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Slan,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hello,

I'm not sure did I imagine it but i thought i heard before about a pier in Cork being left inland after the sea levels feel possibly centuries ago. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Slan,
    David

I highly doubt sea levels fell to such a level that a pier was left behind. Perhaps a lake was drained somewhere and a jetty mighty be left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hello,

Slan,
    David

Old mooring bollards can be seen on grand parade. At one time boats could come in that far but the channels have since been filled in, it was not related to rising/lowering sea levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

You also have poulraddy harbour in blackpool which doesnt look like one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

Appreciate all the inputs. I imagined i heard it, it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Where in Cork.....city or county?

I know in Clonakilty there a streets there call Quays which are no longer a Quay....the inner harbour silted up causing the the Area to "Dry" up. I believe it was some underwater volcanic eruption in the atlantic was the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

I thought it was county. Possibly West cork but I'm pretty vague on it.

Keeks wrote: »

I know in Clonakilty there a streets there call Quays which are no longer a Quay....the inner harbour silted up causing the the Area to "Dry" up. I believe it was some underwater volcanic eruption in the atlantic was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Keeks wrote: »

That was apparently as a result of the Lisbon earthquake in 1755 and a resulting tsunami. It silted up the harbour, formed the dunes in castlefrek / long strand and the warren beach. Before it Incydoney and I think somewhere else were proper islands too. The same tsunami partially destroyed the walls around the spanish arch in Galway and somehome resulted in the river Bandon being much lower having previously being navigable by cargo boats to bandon.

Advertisement