Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ecovolt electric heaters

Options
  • 09-06-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi..Considering changing old electric storage heaters and heard about these ecovolt electric heaters. Has anyone changed to these or these type? Are they much better/worth the cost please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

while they look neater and might have some fancy controls, storage heaters are storage heaters and the payback on replacement is gong to to be near enough To Infinity and Beyond as you are on night rate as the extra controls need paying for.

Ascetically nicer, yes, cheaper to run, marginal if at all, maybe less heat loss against wall but I don't know.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

while they look neater and might have some fancy controls, storage heaters are storage heaters and the payback on replacement is gong to to be near enough To Infinity and Beyond as you are on night rate as the extra controls need paying for.

Ascetically nicer, yes, cheaper to run, marginal if at all, maybe less heat loss against wall but I don't know.

+1 there is very little scope for saving money by changing a storage heating system. As the previous poster has said, you may get fancier controls and the heaters themselves may look nicer but that will be it and the monetary saving will be close to zero. The first thing you need to bear in mind is that when it comes to electric heating, every appliance out there is 100% efficient because every joule of energy is converted to heat, there is no wastage i.e. you get in heat what you pay for in electricity. The only thing that differentiates one electric heater from another is the speed at which the heat is delivered - ranging from instant (fan heater) or delayed (oil radiator). In the case of storage heating, they're basically all the same.

I can't see the benefit in controlling each room separately, that would certainly yield benefits in a gas or oil system where the heat is delivered as the fuel is being consumed but with storage heating there is a delayed effect whereby most of the heat is delivered long after the energy is consumed so you may decide you don't want heat in a particular room but if the heater was switched on overnight while the meter was on the night rate, how are you going to stop the heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joan OBrien

Can anyone help, I have three Ecovolt heaters, one of them is saying its offline on the app, can anyone in very simple terms tell me how to reconnect it to the wifi?

Advertisement