Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child proof lock cover for Palladio / upvc type door

Options
  • 07-06-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm hopeing someone will be able to point me in the right direction. We are getting a Palladio door installed in a few weeks but these type of doors do not automatically lock when closed and can be opened from the inside by a child simply by turning the nob on the inside and pulling the handle. As we dont want our kid running down the street every chance he gets we have been looking into getting some sort of child proof lock to stop him from opening the door. Any ones we have found cover either the handle or the nob which would be fine except they all seem to latch onto a round surround for either. the door we are getting has a strip of plastic joining the nob and the handle which I think is standard but it does not look like any of the child proof solutions on the market fir this kind of setup. Does anyone know of a way round this?

For clarity, we don't want a deadbolt type thing where the door cant be opened normally from the outside, or a key instead of a nob on the inside for fire safety reasons. There is a different lock available for these doors but we cant get it fitted as our door opening is less than the minimum requirement for the lock.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

This might be helpful also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Maybe get the lock with a thumb turn - involves an extra step that might discourage your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 IvanTT

Thanks for the help everyone. We've seen those options but none of them will work on the door we are getting. Think we will just have to lock the door with a key when we come in and keep one handy but out of reach in case we need to get out in an emergency. not ideal by any means but we are near a motorway and just cant risk any little people getting out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fit a standard front door lock high up on the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 IvanTT

Not sure if the lock allows for this as the mechanism runs the length of the door.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've still.seen this done. Might be worth ringing the manufacturer and it getting a manual online for the door and seeing if it's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1 safetwist

IvanTT wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hopeing someone will be able to point me in the right direction. We are getting a Palladio door installed in a few weeks but these type of doors do not automatically lock when closed and can be opened from the inside by a child simply by turning the nob on the inside and pulling the handle. As we dont want our kid running down the street every chance he gets we have been looking into getting some sort of child proof lock to stop him from opening the door. Any ones we have found cover either the handle or the nob which would be fine except they all seem to latch onto a round surround for either. the door we are getting has a strip of plastic joining the nob and the handle which I think is standard but it does not look like any of the child proof solutions on the market fir this kind of setup. Does anyone know of a way round this?

For clarity, we don't want a deadbolt type thing where the door cant be opened normally from the outside, or a key instead of a nob on the inside for fire safety reasons. There is a different lock available for these doors but we cant get it fitted as our door opening is less than the minimum requirement for the lock.

Thanks
    check out Safetwist , its a child proof lock , simply remove the turn provided by the door supplier and fit safetwist , it takes about two mins. we fit them to Palladio doors regularly... or even better ask the door provider to supply the door with safetwist fitted

Advertisement