Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Medal Tally Prediction

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

3 Gold
    As part of my many posts in AH about Ireland's performance, I was looking at the participation figures in various sports in various countries. One thing that stood out was that in countries where Ice Hockey is supposedly king, it's still not that popular.

Finland only has 76'000 registered hockey players.
    http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/finland/

With a roughly similar population, Ireland has 50'000 cricket players, yet nobody would ever claim that cricket is big here.

In any case it's pointless comparing ourselves to other countries, we simply don't share the same priorities as most of them. Finland have 600 registered rugby union players, and at a guess, roughly 0 gaelic games players. We've 150'000 and 400'000 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

As part of my many posts in AH about Ireland's performance, I was looking at the participation figures in various sports in various countries. One thing that stood out was that in countries where Ice Hockey is supposedly king, it's still not that popular.

Finland only has 76'000 registered hockey players.
    http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countries/finland/

With a roughly similar population, Ireland has 50'000 cricket players, yet nobody would ever claim that cricket is big here.

In any case it's pointless comparing ourselves to other countries, we simply don't share the same priorities as most of them. Finland have 600 registered rugby union players, and at a guess, roughly 0 gaelic games players. We've 150'000 and 400'000 respectively.

Yes thats my point as well,and how many atlethes did Ireland send vs Finland etc we can go on and on about this.
    No matter what,a great achivement for Ireland to get the silver medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

3 Gold
    philstar wrote: »
    we get 2 medals and we're happy with that? i thought we'd be more ambitious

We, as a country, can't complain about any lack of medals in Olympic sports because we don't care about them for 3 years, 11 months and 2 weeks

The national championships in boxing, swimming and athletics were held this year and had a combined attendance of about 1,000 people. Most of them friends and family of the competitors

That we win any medals at all is a credit to the athletes and their coaches. If we want more, we'll need to invest more. It really is that simple

But the Irish public don't want that, so it's not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

3 Bronzr
    1 Gold 3 Silver 2 Bronze.

Maybe tad optimistic, but reckon we will get least 5 medals

My prediction was badly off, even after I posted it I felt might be little optimistic, however I hope it's the very decent performances that the games will be looked at in years to come.

Take Barcelona or Sydney where we won 2 and 1 medals respectively, we did very little in other sports after that.

This time we got least another 10 or so top 10 finishes and had 3 boxers within 1 medal place(Conlon was robbed), and had future to look forward to with likes of Barr and The Modern Pentathlon couple.

Performance wise these championships took step in right direction where it's matters on the field of play.

If we could get decent structures in place, and really take care of the proper talent then we have something to look forward to in 4 years.

But again I may be too optimistic, I hope this time I might be right, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

2 Silver
    Dodge wrote: »
    We, as a country, can't complain about any lack of medals in Olympic sports because we don't care about them for 3 years, 11 months and 2 weeks

The national championships in boxing, swimming and athletics were held this year and had a combined attendance of about 1,000 people. Most of them friends and family of the competitors

That we win any medals at all is a credit to the athletes and their coaches. If we want more, we'll need to invest more. It really is that simple

But the Irish public don't want that, so it's not happening

Fair point. A TD will earn no votes or praise if he goes back to his consituency saying he has managed to get 50,000 in lotterty funding for Modern Pentathlon but if he announces he got got 50,000 for the a local GAA or Soccer club he is a great lad altogether.

There are no votes in properly funding our Olympians and that is an indictment of us all not just our legislators.

• Advertisement
Advertisement