Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creating a Company Logo

• 05-06-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the right sub-forum.

I've just started a new business and am looking to create a basic simple logo for my company. I don't really need one but I thought I'd do it and add it to my invoices etc for a better look.

I've been looking at the online free generators and most of the ones I've seen are not providing me with something that I want. The images they use are just too generic and I can't reference them against what my company does.

I was hoping to find a free online generator or free program for my laptop that would allow me to play with the letters of my company name and generate something basic that way.

Does anyone know of anything that would allow me to do this? MS Paint is just too basic for what I want. I was thinking of Gimp but not sure if it is really suitable for this use.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Look at vector graphics instead of raster. Vector is infinitely scalable (doesn't look pixelated when you make it big or zoom in) and generally woks better for logo.

Inkscape is a great free vector editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any good inspiration for company logo? I did see something I liked, but it was on afee based design website. I could just copy and tweak it, but I would rather go down another route.
    I'm not actually sure if it was unique to them. Basically, between each word was a vertial bar like:

Bobby | Bobbins | Widget | Making | Company

Looks crap here, but looked a lot better in the image. I didn't like any of the image based logos I've seen so far, so a word based thing seems to be the best option.

I presume you can overlay letters on top of other letters easily in Inkscape?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭m0rt

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Hi,

I hope this is the right sub-forum.

I've just started a new business and am looking to create a basic simple logo for my company. I don't really need one but I thought I'd do it and add it to my invoices etc for a better look.

I've been looking at the online free generators and most of the ones I've seen are not providing me with something that I want. The images they use are just too generic and I can't reference them against what my company does.

I was hoping to find a free online generator or free program for my laptop that would allow me to play with the letters of my company name and generate something basic that way.

Does anyone know of anything that would allow me to do this? MS Paint is just too basic for what I want. I was thinking of Gimp but not sure if it is really suitable for this use.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

What about paying someone to create a logo for you??
    An actual designer maybe!

It could be worth the small investment rather than chancing cobbling something together yourself and having your new company look unprofessional from the start.

I'm a contractor so there is very little that is public facing in my company - so I don't feel the need to pay out big bucks for a logo. What would online designers be looking to provide a service for a logo?

I like something like this. It looks plain though, but I think it may do. Only issue is that Vistaprint only release the image as a jpeg and pdf - I wouldn't have thought that these are scalable.

Y1G8kkA

http://imgur.com/Y1G8kkA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

I'm a contractor so there is very little that is public facing in my company - so I don't feel the need to pay out big bucks for a logo. What would online designers be looking to provide a service for a logo?

I like something like this. It looks plain though, but I think it may do. Only issue is that Vistaprint only release the image as a jpeg and pdf - I wouldn't have thought that these are scalable.

You don't feel the need? Surely if you want quality you pay for quality. Same in your business I presume if someone said to you they want you to do something for high quality service but dirt cheap.

It's not customer facing - the only reason for having it would be to make tax inspectors believe that there was more of a company bias here instead of a contractor.

Noone I will be dealing with will be seeing it.

Is this a good site to use?

https://www.peopleperhour.com/hourlie/design-you-a-creative-logo-with-unlimited-revisions-and-concepts/82595?ref=member

Or just posting a job up there for one of the beginners?

I was reading that some designers on sites copy information from elsewhere and I don't want to get into a situation whereby I've got copyright infringed material.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rossi.

Is this a good site to use?

Or just posting a job up there for one of the beginners?

I was reading that some designers on sites copy information from elsewhere and I don't want to get into a situation whereby I've got copyright infringed material.

well that's a chance you'll take with online sites(or casual designers online), looking at a portfolio of work normally will give you a good idea weather it looks copy pasted or bespoke.

Who do you recommend and what do they charge? I assume it is important to work with someone who will hand over the copyright to me upon completion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 rossi.

Who do you recommend and what do they charge? I assume it is important to work with someone who will hand over the copyright to me upon completion?

Basic logo design is anywhere between 100 - 250 i would think, but everyone freelance has their own system of billing, (per job or per hour).

if thats not for you then I'd recommend you download illustrator (Featured free trial downloads on adobe) it'll be free for a month, and watching a few short "basic logo illustrator" on youtubes.

Advertisement