Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

10,000KM challenge log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

No update last week as I was busy drinking and sleeping which meant last weeks numbers were terrible. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 362.8km
    Hours - Moving: 14hrs 272m
    Elevation Gain: 956mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 6,638km
    Hours - Moving: 277hrs 27m
    Elevation Gain: 19,342 mts
    Weight: *87kg

So that leaves me with 3,362km to go in 125 days which is 26.9km per day. :)

Right. I didn't hit my August target and ended up with just below 1,100km in total. Not bad in fairness but that extra couple of hundred would have been nice. I had a day missed during this week as i had to travel for work. Not ideal and even with taking a day off on Friday I couldn't make up for it as unfortunately that day was Friday and it just wasn't suitable to be out in so i ended up calling it a day after 20km. This weeks stats are made respectable by the GDBR 100k I put in this morning. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 257.6km
    Hours - Moving: 10hrs 35m
    Elevation Gain: 951mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 7,106km
    Hours - Moving: 297hrs 31m
    Elevation Gain: 20,879 mts
    Weight: 85kg

So that leaves me with 2,894km to go in 111 days which is 26.1km per day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...So that leaves me with 2,894km to go in 111 days which is 26.1km per day. :)
    Just prompted me do my own figures - have to do an average of 44k per day for the remainder of the year to meet my target! :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So that leaves me with 2,894km to go in 111 days which is 26.1km per day. :)

You're an inspiration Dan, no doubt that you'll do it even if involves spikes on New Years Eve.

Just prompted me do my own figures - have to do an average of 44k per day for the remainder of the year to meet my target! :eek:

What is your target? 44 per day doesnt even sound bad, its when you miss a day here and there that it feels like it might be slipping away from you. If you spot me on the corkagh cycle track i won't mind if you draft me a little bit. :D

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    You're an inspiration Dan, no doubt that you'll do it even if involves spikes on New Years Eve.

You're very kind. More than anything I just feel great about myself that this is something ive stuck to for such a long time and can clearly see and feel the benefits of what with being down almost 20 kilos since the start of the year. The GDBR was probably the first time ive felt "that was handy enough" when going up a tough hill and as I haven't been training climbs at all thats got to be heavily (excuse the pun ;)) down to having so much less weight to carry up there.

I'd like to be going for a new year's eve cycle alright but hopefully the 10,000 will be reached well in advance of that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭C3PO

..... being down almost 20 kilos since the start of the year.

That's brilliant well done! You can't beat cycling for taking the weight off!!

What is your target?...
    20k (I got to 19,850 in 2015 and I'm approx 1,000 ahead of last year at this point so it's doable barring any mishaps).

20k (I got to 19,850 in 2015 and I'm approx 1,000 ahead of last year at this point so it's doable barring any mishaps).

And i thought I was nuts :D

Thats agonisingly close you came last year, hopefully you make it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This thread is an inspiration, WA does mad mileage ! Great to see though.

My aim was 12K and after falling behind after a racing crash in March I hit 9K last weekend so back on target with a little to spare.

That said I'm pretty much cycling non stop since I was 12 (not yesterday).

The mileage you are coving is fantastic but the weight loss of 20 is just superb, keep it up and see you on the road :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Rob. :)

Didn't get a chance to update at the weekend as i was on a Stags which also negated getting on the bike for a couple of days. :)

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 7,472km
    Hours - Moving: 313hrs 56m
    Elevation Gain: 21,889 mts
    Weight: 84kg

So that leaves me with 2,528km to go in 101 days which is 25km per day. :)

So 8,273km to go in the next 214 days meaning I've to average 38.5km evry day between now and the end of the year.
    So that leaves me with 2,528km to go in 101 days which is 25km per day. :)

When I saw your first post I didn't think you had any chance ..... but looks you're going to prove me wrong now ... well done Sir!!

C3PO wrote: »
    When I saw your first post I didn't think you had any chance ..... but looks you're going to prove me wrong now ... well done Sir!!

Thank you. :)

I just did some more sums and it works out as 50.8km on average per day between those two posts. :)

Never got near the bike over the weekend so that made it two weekends in a row without any cycling. Not ideal but thankfully i'd done enough over the rest of the week to just about break even. Managed another 50 today so this week is already looking respectable. :)

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 7,599km
    Hours - Moving: 320hrs 9m
    Elevation Gain: 22,175 mts
    Weight: 84kg

So that leaves me with 2,401km to go in 96 days which is 25km per day. :)

A good week and managed to get out every day. Was stuck with the hybrid (i say stuck, I love that bike) all week as the road bike needs a couple of repairs so the choice was to do them or to get on the road. I'll hopefully have a couple of hours this evening to sort it out. I'm aiminto be at 9,000km by the end of the month. It's starting to get cold out there on the morning spins though. I was checking back on last years stats and the bike had already gone into storage at this point so taking the equivalent date i stopped last year i've done about 650km more this year.

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 302km
    Hours - Moving: 14hrs 15m
    Elevation Gain: 680mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 7,850km
    Hours - Moving: 331hrs 56m
    Elevation Gain: 22,746mts
    Weight: 83kg (i'm aiming for 70 but not expecting to hit that before the end of the year).

So that leaves me with 2,150km to go in 90 days which is 23.88km per day. :)

Another good week, what i like seeing is the average coming down. Today was an absolute cracker of a day and i'd liked to have got out for more than the 40km i managed but it wasn't to be. Hoping we can get another weekend like that next week when i should be a bit freer time wise. I'd like to hit 400km next week as i've three days away the following week where i won't even see a bike so if i can get 550-600 between the two weeks combined i'm going to be very well set. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 266.2km
    Hours - Moving: 12hrs 33m
    Elevation Gain: 693mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 8,117km
    Hours - Moving: 343hrs 49m
    Elevation Gain: 23,439mts
    Weight: 83kg

So that leaves me with 1,883km to go in 83 days which is 22.68km per day. :)

Didn't quite reach my goal for the week but it definitely could have been worse. I find it very difficult to get on the bike when its raining heavily like it was when iwoke up Saturday morning (different if i'm already out and it starts or even if it's just the commute) and i didn't. But i was rewarded with a great afternoon weather wise without even getting hit by a drop of rain. :)

Aiming for betwenn 200 and 250 this week, i'll miss at least 2 and probably 3 days on the bike this week so i'm probably being a bit optimistic but we'll see. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 313km
    Hours - Moving: 14hrs 3m
    Elevation Gain: 793mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 8,430km
    Hours - Moving: 357hrs 52m
    Elevation Gain: 24,232mts
    Weight: 82.5kg

So that leaves me with 1,570km to go in 76 days which is 20.6km per day. :)

...So that leaves me with 1,570km to go in 76 days which is 20.6km per day. :)
    Just looking at my own figures - 2,779 to do in 71 days so I have to average 39k per day for the rest of the year.

(Apologies for hijacking your thread).

PS - the Veloviewer figure in my sig includes a few walks/runs hence it showing a bit higher.

Just a totals update this week. Not including weight as I was away eating and drinking myself stupid since Thursday so that would be artificially (i hope:D) inflated if i was to weigh myself now.

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 8,619km
    Hours - Moving: 367hrs 1m
    Elevation Gain: 24,505mts

So that leaves me with 1,381km to go in 69 days which is 20.01km per day. :)

(Apologies for hijacking your thread).

I'm invested now. Please continue to do so. :)

• Advertisement

Massive week on the bike. In looking back over the stats from the year I only covered more distance on 4 other weeks this year so big props are due to the weather for playing ball this week. :)

I'll add in my October stats once i get my cycle in tomorrow. It probably won't be a big one but i'm trying to keep the momentum going at this stage. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 362.2km
    Hours - Moving: 16hrs 59m
    Elevation Gain: 657mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 8,982km
    Hours - Moving: 384hrs 0m
    Elevation Gain: 25,162mts
    Weight: 82.5kg (it was temporary, phew!!)

So that leaves me with 1,018km to go in 62 days which is 16.4km per day. :)

Massive week on the bike. In looking back over the stats from the year I only covered more distance on 4 other weeks this year so big props are due to the weather for playing ball this week. :)

I'll add in my October stats once i get my cycle in tomorrow. It probably won't be a big one but i'm trying to keep the momentum going at this stage. :)

Stats for the week:

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 8,982km
    Hours - Moving: 384hrs 0m
    Elevation Gain: 25,162mts
    Weight: 82.5kg (it was temporary, phew!!)

So that leaves me with 1,018km to go in 62 days which is 16.4km per day. :)
    Great stuff! :)

Had a great week myself managing to move for 26 hours so now have to average 32kms per day over the next 62 days. (Currently at 17,970km).

Stats for the week:

Great week!
    I know I've said this before but I really think that there is something wrong with your Garmin - it must be nearly impossible to do 362kms in Ireland and still only do 657mts of climbing!!

Great stuff! :)

Had a great week myself managing to move for 26 hours so now have to average 32kms per day over the next 62 days. (Currently at 17,970km).

Nice one, that's come down quickly from 44 a day. :)

C3PO wrote: »
    Great week!
    I know I've said this before but I really think that there is something wrong with your Garmin - it must be nearly impossible to do 362kms in Ireland and still only do 657mts of climbing!!

Cheers :)

A fair amount of that 362 was up and down the grand canal Greenway. The unit itself gives higher readings than that but I think when I sync it with connect that changes it. I'll not worry about it unless I set myself a climbing challenge next year. :D

October stats:

KM: 1,265
    Elevation: 2,738
    Hrs: 56hrs 52m

:)

Not a bad week and if I can replicate these numbers for the next couple of weeks I'll have this done by the end of the month which i would be delighted with. :)

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 269km
    Hours - Moving: 12hrs 49m
    Elevation Gain: 584mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs:9,251 km
    Hours - Moving: 396hrs 50m
    Elevation Gain: 25,746mts
    Weight: 81kg

So that leaves me with 749km to go in 55 days which is 13.6km per day.

Last two weeks haven't been great. Only managed to get out 9 days in total. I am away next weekend so I think my chances of finishing by the end of November are not great but i still should be looking at having it wrapped up by the following weekend which is only a day or two more than expected so i'll be fairly happy with that. :)

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs:9,613 km
    Hours - Moving: 415hrs 14m
    Elevation Gain: 26,647mts
    Weight: 81kg

So that leaves me with 387km to go in 41 days which is 9.4km per day. :)

Passed the 19k mark (19,004) on this morning's club ride so 996kms to do in 39 days - an average of 25.5km per day required.

• Advertisement

Good going WA. I'm down to 301 left myself after today's commute. I should be finishing up Saturday week as things stand. I've been promised a cake by the other half. :D

Advertisement