Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

10,000KM challenge log

• 31-05-2016 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

At the start of the year I set myself a challenge of cycling a total of 10,000KM during the year. I then didn't even sit my arse on a saddle until some time in February. It won't seem like a lot to some but it's probably about 3 times more than i've ever done in a year before.

It was mostly commuting up until mid April or thereabouts so in reality I'm way behind. Hence the log, hopefully it will help keep me focused!

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 1,727
    Hours in the saddle: 84hrs 4mins
    Elevation Gain: 4,582

So 8,273km to go in the next 214 days meaning I've to average 38.5km evry day between now and the end of the year.

I've also joined the 115km June Gran Fondo, the June distance challenge (1,250KM to get the badge) and the Climbing chellenge on Strava in the hope of keeping myself going also.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who bothers looking in. :)

Edit: I'll add one more stat actually as it's my main motivation for doing this. Current Weight 93kg. (down from 101 at the start of the year and have yoyo'd between the two since then).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well , you haven't made it easy on yourself but f it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge......

If you can commute regularly and maybe extend some of those the km's will soon be rolling up, a few long weekend spins and sportives will be a help too.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Big challenge alright!
    I'm trying to increase from 4500km last year to 6000km this year, a 33% increase (not 300%!).
    I have a 20km each way commute, that I managed to do 48 times last year and hope to do 64 times this year.
    The added change is that I've added 10km to the journey home on a number of occasions.

The personal incentive I've added is a €5 bonus for each commuting day (kept in a secret envelope!).
    I'll have €300 to splash out on cycling kit come October when I stop commuting, maybe even a Brooks saddle from Santa.

I can't do the long rides at the weekends so that's where you'll rack up the KMs!

Best of luck and get out there every opportunity you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

CapnHex wrote: »
    Big challenge alright!
    I'm trying to increase from 4500km last year to 6000km this year, a 33% increase (not 300%!).
    I have a 20km each way commute, that I managed to do 48 times last year and hope to do 64 times this year.
    The added change is that I've added 10km to the journey home on a number of occasions.

The personal incentive I've added is a €5 bonus for each commuting day (kept in a secret envelope!).
    I'll have €300 to splash out on cycling kit come October when I stop commuting, maybe even a Brooks saddle from Santa.

I can't do the long rides at the weekends so that's where you'll rack up the KMs!

Best of luck and get out there every opportunity you get.

I really like the fiver idea. I'll replicate that for each 100km I cycle I think.

Cheers for the encouragement :)

Had hoped to break the 2,000km mark by today but didn't quite make it, not too far off but just had a little bit too much going on over the weekend including an NCT (passed :))

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 1,952
    Hours in the saddle: 93hrs 4mins
    Elevation Gain: 5,199m
    Weight: 92.5kg

Leaving me 8,048km to go and 209 days to do it which is till 38.5km per day. :)

A good week on the bike, not so good on the food front as I was working out of the office this week so was tending to buy a lot of rubbish. Should be back to the norm this week though and have a couple of days lunches already sorted so hopefully if I have another week like this i'll see a bit more progress on the scales. :)

Managed my first 100+ of the year so far, definitely need to be posting them a bit more regular to have any hope of completing this. I was trying to wrap up the 115km ride challenge on Strava but I got caught in showers twice on the spin yesterday and at 105 done I was just too cold and too close to home to keep going

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 2,305
    Hours in the saddle: 107hr 22m
    Elevation Gain: 5,866m
    Weight: 92.5kg

7,695 km to go in 202 days =38.1km per day.
    Hoping to do the Swords 150km route next weekend but might not know until mid week if I can make it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Keep it going, I have a personal goal of 5000km for this year. 3000km done last year but that was after a fractured pelvis that wrote off about 4 months.

Will keep a look in every now and again to see how you are doing.

Not a great week on the bike (in terms of this challenge at least). Had two punctures early in the week and the bike needed a service too which cost me a good few kms. Signed up to the 150 McNally spin but ended up on the 100 after the drowning we took on our way to Tayto Park. Still an enjoyable day out and at least brought me up to more or less breaking even for the week.

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 2,566
    Hours in the saddle: 118hr 31m
    Elevation Gain: 6,547m
    Weight: 92kg

7,434 to go in 195 days which is still 38.1km a day.

Stats for the week:
    260.6km
    11h 19min
    680m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Keep up the good work. I'm hoping to have some free time to up my cycling significantly in the next month or so.
    I saw something online that there is a Strava challenge during the Tour de France where you have to cycle every day that the tour is on.

Passed 1,000km for the month today, hopefully make closer to 1,400 by months end. Had a slight mishap on the way home though. A taxi driver took out another cyclist right in front of me and I just didn't have enough time to stop so sort of "stumbled" over his bike at about 10km/h.

No obvious damage to me or the bike, the other lad was a bit scraped up but looked grand also and we both took off on the rest of our journey after a little bit of a rest.

Had a decent week on the bike despite the incident mentioned above but I haven't gotten out today and won't either. The knee is giving me hassle this morning so i'm giving it a break for a day. I spent a lot of time standing about yesterday and the knee is often a bit dodgy after that so if i rest up today i should be back in business tomorrow.

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 2,863
    Hours in the saddle: 131hr 1m
    Elevation Gain: 7,019m
    Weight: 91kg

7,137 to go in 188 days which is 37.9km a day. (good to see that beginning to come down :D)

Stats for the week:
    296.8km
    12h 30min
    469m

• Advertisement

A great week on the bike despite the knee keeping me out of action on Monday. I did two 100k+ cycles two days in a row which was a first for me. I have lots of free time until the end of the month and apart from 8 days away I'll be spending a lot of it cycling so hoping to hit 800-1000km one of the weeks in July. I'm mostly keeping to flat rides which is helpful in getting the km in but im not sure im improving my fitness at all. Will do one or two trips around some of the climbs in Wicklow during the next few weeks to try improve that. Also planning on doing the tour de Kilkenny 160 at the end of the month. Aiming to do about 2,500km over the course of the month. I just hope the weather gets a bit better. :)

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 3,333
    Hours in the saddle: 150hr 18m
    Elevation Gain: 7,494m
    Weight: 90kg

6,667 to go in 181 days which is 36.8km a day.

Stats for the week:
    470km
    19h 17min
    470m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭C3PO

Stats for the week:
    470km
    19h 17min
    470m

Great week .... I wouldn't have thought is was possible to cycle 470kms in Ireland and only do 470mts of climbing ... are you sure that's correct?

C3PO wrote: »
    Great week .... I wouldn't have thought is was possible to cycle 470kms in Ireland and only do 470mts of climbing ... are you sure that's correct?

Ha-ha it's almost certainly not, but im going off what Strava is telling me. Strava seems to penalise you if you do the same climb twice and not give you the credit. I have done a great deal of my cycling last week around the corkagh park cycle track which although mainly flat has a couple of Metres climbing at least in a lap. Garmin is giving me different stats, yesterday's 75km Garmin has clocked at 186m compared to the 54 Strava is giving me. :)

Ha-ha it's almost certainly not, but im going off what Strava is telling me. Strava seems to penalise you if you do the same climb twice and not give you the credit. I have done a great deal of my cycling last week around the corkagh park cycle track which although mainly flat has a couple of Metres climbing at least in a lap. Garmin is giving me a stats, yesterday's 75km Garmin has clocked at 186m compared to the 54 Strava is giving me. :)

Weird ... I find Strava is usually more generous than Garmin! Are you using a phone app or a Garmin device?

Weird ... I find Strava is usually more generous than Garmin! Are you using a phone app or a Garmin device?

Edge 200, upload to Garmin connect and it then syncs over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Thud

Ha-ha it's almost certainly not, but im going off what Strava is telling me. Strava seems to penalise you if you do the same climb twice and not give you the credit. I have done a great deal of my cycling last week around the corkagh park cycle track which although mainly flat has a couple of Metres climbing at least in a lap. Garmin is giving me different stats, yesterday's 75km Garmin has clocked at 186m compared to the 54 Strava is giving me. :)

I noticed that last week when trying to finish the June climbing challenge, had a Garmin app that showed ascent of 420m up to the feather beds viewing point, it was starting to rain so came back down and did the first half of kilmashogue, total after that was 440m, bit annoying only getting 20m for that

Off on the hols tomorrow but managed to get a good few kms in this week as I was off. Managed to do the Gran Fondo too. They didnt rob me of it this time. :)

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 3,688
    Hours in the saddle: 1644hrs 18mins
    Elevation Gain: 7,731

So 6,322km to go in the next 177 days meaning I've to average 35.6km every day between now and the end of the year.

I've more than doubled my total since the end of may so happy with that. Definitely looking to be close to do another 1,900 this month which I plan to round off with the tour de Kilkenny 160km ride. :)

So back from the hols about ten days.The bike came with me but i only got out on it twice so only managed about 60km. Been busy since though and am up the guts off 1,000km in total since my last update. I've been doing most of my miles on the Corkagh cycle track whihis generally flat. Strava won't give me any climbing credit for it though so i am switching my climbing stats to what Garmin is telling me instead (hence the rather large jump there). :)

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 4,643
    Hours in the saddle: 198hrs 56mins
    Elevation Gain: 13,460
    Weight: 89KG

So 5359 to go with 159 days = 33.69km per day. :)

Had a really enjoyable week on the bike. Hit a couple of targets I thought i'd struggle with around this time two weeks ago. Didn't do the tour de KK in the end but managed to get an equivalent cycle in on the day all the same.

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 1,001km
    Hours in the saddle: 36hrs 40mins
    Elevation Gain: 3,191m

Stats for the month:
    Total KMs: 2,552km (currently has me just outside the top 500 for the month on strava)
    Hours in the saddle: 94hrs 27mins
    Elevation Gain: 7,654m

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 5,644
    Hours in the saddle: 235hrs 37m
    Elevation Gain: 16,651m
    Weight: 88KG

So i've 4,356 left to go in 153 days = 28.5km per day :)

Probably the only disappointment is that the weight hasn't dropped a bit more but the diet has been crazy with all the cycling I've done and I've certainly given into sugar cravings a bit more than i generally would over the last 2 weeks. I'm hopeful that with heading back to work next week i can get that back on track and keep bringing it down.

Stats for the week:

Great week!

• Advertisement

Stats for the month:
    Total KMs: 2,552km (currently has me just outside the top 500 for the month on strava)

And for that reason, I'm out!

I can't compete with that level of commitment.

Well done.

Gives me something to aim for as a goal for next year.

And for that reason, I'm out!

I can't compete with that level of commitment.

Well done.

Gives me something to aim for as a goal for next year.

July was always make or break month for me. I had the entire month off work and as you can see I spent a lot of it on the bike and have at least given myself a fighting chance of hitting my target. Im lucky to have the Corkagh Park cycle track nearby as its just a pleasure to cycle around kilometer after kilometer. Its boring obviously but the surface is perfect and because theres no traffic I can even plug in the earphones and listen to my favourite podcasts. :)

How is your own target going? You're probably still closer to yours than I am to mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fair play to you!
    Stats for the week:
    I had very similar figures a couple of weeks ago - 1,001km in 37h 44m with 8,500m elevation.

It is the most I have cycled in a single week to date.
    Stats for the month:
    Great going!

You're well ahead of me for July - I ended it at 2,302km with 18,600m of elevation. (Don't know how many hours in the saddle).

(I had 2 weeks off work in July which helped!)

Not to hijack your thread ... but you did ask.
    I managed 735km in July, about 40 hours in the saddle. As you can tell, average speed is the real issue here!
    I'm at 4337km for the year so far, so barring injury, I should make the 6K with a bit to spare.
    I'm ahead of schedule on commutes as well. 54 done and target is 64, so hoping to get nearer 70 at this stage.

Stats for the week:

Stats for the month:

Stats so far:
    Total KMs: 5,644
    Hours in the saddle: 235hrs 37m
    Elevation Gain: 16,651m
    Weight: 88KG

So i've 4,356 left to go in 153 days = 28.5km per day :)

Nothing like your figures for last week/month but I'm still well on target for 2016!

Stats for July:
    Total KMs: 1,290km
    Hours - Moving: 70hrs
    Elevation Gain: 22,969mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 6,800km
    Hours - Moving: 350hrs
    Elevation Gain: 120,000mts

Weight: 79KG (down from 90kg at New Year)

Spending about 60-70% of the hours offroad on the MTB still so average speed/distance quite low!

This is the time of year where I usually start to tail-off so need to keep focused!!

Not to hijack your thread ... but you did ask.
    I managed 735km in July, about 40 hours in the saddle. As you can tell, average speed is the real issue here!
    I'm at 4337km for the year so far, so barring injury, I should make the 6K with a bit to spare.
    I'm ahead of schedule on commutes as well. 54 done and target is 64, so hoping to get nearer 70 at this stage.

Prior to June id never done more than 1,000 in a month. Planning on breaking that for August and September too which isnt going to be easy what with being back at work.

Nothing like your figures for last week/month but I'm still well on target for 2016!

Stats for July:
    Total KMs: 1,290km
    Hours - Moving: 70hrs
    Elevation Gain: 22,969mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 6,800km
    Hours - Moving: 350hrs
    Elevation Gain: 120,000mts

Weight: 79KG (down from 90kg at New Year)

Spending about 60-70% of the hours offroad on the MTB still so average speed/distance quite low!

This is the time of year where I usually start to tail-off so need to keep focused!!

Those elevation figures are something else!!

Those elevation figures are something else!!

Try to achieve 300-400mts per hour - training for an MTB Marathon in October with about 2,600mts of climbing in 83kms!

Brutal week. Didn't even break even for the week and only managed 178km in total. I knew the first week back at work was going to be tough but I expected a bit better than that.

Total is now 5822. I wont bother with full stats this week. :(

• Advertisement

A better if not spectacular week this time round. Punctures are my enemy right now and I had a couple in the last week. Currently doing some upgrades on the commuter and looking into those Tannus solid tyres. The commute is 13km into Dublin City so it should be grand.

Stats for the week:
    Total KMs: 294km
    Hours - Moving: 12hrs 27m
    Elevation Gain: 897mts

Stats for 2016 to date:
    Total KMs: 6,117km
    Hours - Moving: 255hrs 27m
    Elevation Gain: 18,030mts

So that leave me with 3883km to go in 139 days which is 27.9km per day.

I'm away drinking next weekend so hoping to get a bit extra in over the course of the rest of the week to make up for that, then i need to hit it hard in the final ten days of August to make my 1,300 - 1,400km target for the month. :)

Edit: weight 87kg.

Advertisement