Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never Windows 10

Options
  • 26-05-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Steve Gibson has produced a machine code software app that stops the Get Windows 10 pop-up from appearing on PCs of Win 7 and 8 users.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The latest iteration of this pop-up has a fake 'X' icon in the top right hand corner of the window. If you click on it, it no longer closes the window. Clicking on it causes Win 10 to install.

Microsoft is stuck at about 300 million copies of Windows 10 being installed while it is free. It is due to be no longer free from July. There are well over a billion copies of Windows out there. If they can get only about 20/25% of the user-base to update their operating system in a year or so, what hope has MS of getting the rest of users to expose themselves to Windows 10 which is no more than nastyware that allows Microsoft to track virtually everything on your machine, and if they wish sell it or give it away to rogue state governments. No democratic country should feel the need to engage in mass surveillance on its broad population. This is the stuff of the Hitler era, and the former East Germany.

The big idea MS had of having only one operating system to support (ie Win 10) by giving it away free, has failed. Largely due to snooping issues, as well as compatibility issues eg certain functionality not working on certain machines.

This is aside from the chaos that Win 10 can potentially cause in corporate environments when it is used with home grown software and applications.

The Gibson software changes certain registry settings, but does not need to reside on the system afterwards. Please see the notice about deleting the 'massive blob' of Win 10 download files to free-up disk space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Steve Gibson is the man, very well known and trusted. This sw is 100% legit. One click... BOOOM, forget about Win 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I got GWX Control Panel a few months back, which not only knocks out the reg entries and blocks it from ever re-enabling, it also cleans out the GBs of pre-installation crap from your C drive.

I had a Win7 machine that was tight for space and every so often I had to manually remove those files - GWX makes this a one button click job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I got GWX Control Panel a few months back, which not only knocks out the reg entries and blocks it from ever re-enabling, it also cleans out the GBs of pre-installation crap from your C drive.

I had a Win7 machine that was tight for space and every so often I had to manually remove those files - GWX makes this a one button click job.

Yup, was using GWX Control Panel myself, and switched to this. Never10 can clear out the used space also.

The difference? I trust Steve Gibson (Full disclosure, I'm a fan of the Security Now Podcast and Spinrite.) Also Never10 uses group policy to block the update, rather than alter registry settings or blocking updates. And best of all, Never10 is only 80KB vs 4.4MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Yup, was using GWX Control Panel myself, and switched to this. Never10 can clear out the used space also.

The difference? I trust Steve Gibson (Full disclosure, I'm a fan of the Security Now Podcast and Spinrite.) Also Never10 uses group policy to block the update, rather than alter registry settings or blocking updates. And best of all, Never10 is only 80KB vs 4.4MB.

Fair enough - I'll give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

• Advertisement
Advertisement