Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching software needed

Options
  • 24-05-2016 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend patching software please? I need it to just to patch adobe and java products. Or could someone recommend a re-seller?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum/not allowed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Check out Ninite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Galadriel wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend patching software please? I need it to just to patch adobe and java products. Or could someone recommend a re-seller?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum/not allowed.

Have you turned on the products own Automatic update feature?

I'd used Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) previously as a way of keeping tabs on outdated software. It does a good job reporting it, but not such a good job in patching it (which it claims it could do, but doesn't really). It's kinda slow as well. I had it running on the wife's machine, but a recent update to PSI itself killed it's connection back to Flexara, so I binned it.

I use Avast AV, which also comes with a software updater feature, but I've never installed it, so cannot comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Apologies in my haste to create the thread I've left out important details, I need to patch 400+ PCs on a regular basis so was looking to purchase software that can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Galadriel wrote: »
    Apologies in my haste to create the thread I've left out important details, I need to patch 400+ PCs on a regular basis so was looking to purchase software that can do this.

What operating system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

syklops wrote: »
    What operating system?

Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Shavlik if you can afford it. Don't auto-update 400 PCs for the love of god, you have to test beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Great point.

Although I strongly agree with this point, this is not something that we do. The risk of something going wrong with an update has been identified in our office but, because we're a smallish office, management have made the decision that the cost of dealing with a rogue update is less than the cost of testing every update.

However, with 400 devices the risk and cost is entirely different.
    hmmm wrote: »
    Shavlik if you can afford it. Don't auto-update 400 PCs for the love of god, you have to test beforehand.

Advertisement